PDA

View Full Version : Signum 16l hextreme string

tguy91
02-29-2008, 06:45 PM
Today I went to the local sports store to have my tennis racquet strung with the Signum 16l hextreme string. I come to pick it up this afternoon and the guy stringing my racquet is obviously ****ed off. He tells me that this string is hard to string, I should not be using it because it will hit like a 2x4, etc. and then procedes to tell me that if I want my racquet strung with this string again he will charge my double; $20 instead of $10. This made me furious that this guy would tell me what string I should or should not be using and then procede to tell me he would raise the price if I wanted this string again. He told me that I should use some cheap Prince synthetic gut instead, but I like to hit with alot of topspin and that particular string just doesn't cut it. So my question is, what should I do? Should I try the other store that charges $15, or should I tell this guy he doesn't have the right to raise the price like this on me?
Thanks,
Tyler

hit2mybh
02-29-2008, 06:57 PM
I wouldn't take it back to him. If it upset him that bad, he probably isn't doing a good job, and doubling the cost is even worse, getting a bad stringjob and paying double. Where are you located? I'd string it! :)

tguy91
02-29-2008, 07:09 PM
I wouldn't take it back to him. If it upset him that bad, he probably isn't doing a good job, and doubling the cost is even worse, getting a bad stringjob and paying double. Where are you located? I'd string it! :)

North Carolina. What is a string that is extremely hard to string? I thought about getting a string that is aggravating to string and taking it to him for the fun of it. :twisted:

hit2mybh
03-01-2008, 01:09 AM
Take him a LM Prestige mid, and have him put in a 15 gauge rough of some sort. That will drive him nuts.

nickb
03-01-2008, 03:22 AM
SPPP hex really is not hard to string for any good stringer...sounds like he does not have much experience with polys.

Your better off taking it somewhere else..

Nick

jazar
03-01-2008, 03:46 AM
there are way worse strings to string with than SPPPH.

i cant remember what its called, but there was this head string that you were supposed to rub down with wax paper before stringing with it, so it didnt kill your fingers. he should try that, its a complete nightmare, specially if you run out of the wax paper

Stan
03-01-2008, 06:14 AM
The guy is an absolute moron who has no idea what he is yammering about. Take your racquet elsewhere. You don't want idiots messing with your equipment.

DonBot
03-01-2008, 09:01 AM
I had the same problem with the person that usually strings my racquets, but he is way too nice to jack up the prices. He just always lovingly tells me how much fun it is to string the sppp hextreme, I guess it is really hard on the fingers from what he says.

tguy91
03-01-2008, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone. This guy even went so far to tell me I should use the Prince Synthetic gut instead as there is no difference between strings. My friend had his racquet strung with the Prince synthetic gut and then tried my racquet with the hextreme and said that it was amazing how much more spin he could get on his slice.

What about that new Prince string that snaps back into place? I would think that string would be hard to string because it would be coiling all around your arm while stringing it. Anybody tried it yet?

Babb
03-01-2008, 04:32 PM
^^^^^
Was that stringer born yesterday?

kaibaNYC06
03-01-2008, 11:38 PM
What about that new Prince string that snaps back into place? I would think that string would be hard to string because it would be coiling all around your arm while stringing it. Anybody tried it yet?

Prince Recoil? Nah that stuffs pretty easy. The string feels really oily, is pretty limp while stringing. I agree w/ the 15 guage rough poly suggestion if u really wanna **** him off lol. :twisted:

dtrain
03-02-2008, 12:56 AM
that's the dumbest stringer I have ever heard about. That guy is trying to rip you off.

I personally don't like the Hex strings and prefer the regular SPPP over it. If you break strings often enough I'd invest in a good crank, stringing machines pay themselves off in about a year and if you string for other people maybe quicker than that.

Babb
03-02-2008, 10:29 AM
Prince Recoil? Nah that stuffs pretty easy. The string feels really oily, is pretty limp while stringing. I agree w/ the 15 guage rough poly suggestion if u really wanna **** him off lol. :twisted:
My stringer doesn't like stringing Biphase because he says that it's very, very soft.

sneekynyc
03-02-2008, 10:56 AM
Find a new stringer.... He sounds like a jerk.... that's bad business practice

Stannie
03-03-2008, 01:13 AM
Poor customer service...

A guy like that shouldn't be stringing at a shop in the first place, if he's going to argue like that. There are many times when people would ask me to string a LM prestige mid with gut in the mains and BB rough in the crosses, and asked to get em done in a couple hours. I didn't mind it, because I've strung too many racquets in my life, and I've gotten use to many "tough" string-jobs.

Solution:
Find a new stringer.

Stan

Bubba
03-03-2008, 12:56 PM
Today I went to the local sports store to have my tennis racquet strung with the Signum 16l hextreme string. I come to pick it up this afternoon and the guy stringing my racquet is obviously ****ed off. He tells me that this string is hard to string, I should not be using it because it will hit like a 2x4, etc. and then procedes to tell me that if I want my racquet strung with this string again he will charge my double; $20 instead of $10. This made me furious that this guy would tell me what string I should or should not be using and then procede to tell me he would raise the price if I wanted this string again. He told me that I should use some cheap Prince synthetic gut instead, but I like to hit with alot of topspin and that particular string just doesn't cut it. So my question is, what should I do? Should I try the other store that charges $15, or should I tell this guy he doesn't have the right to raise the price like this on me?
Thanks,
Tyler

Dude... Hextreme is a great string (see my sig.) Tell your stringer to take a leap - he was way out of bounds. Even IF the string was rubbish - he would still be wrong. Find someone that actually sounds like they know and care what they are doing.

Bubba
03-03-2008, 01:00 PM
My stringer doesn't like stringing Biphase because he says that it's very, very soft.

That's just plain stupid! X-1 is a great string... pretty much the same feel to a stringer as NXT Tour and about 3 other really nice synthetics... I bet he strings that (if he's a real stringer). Doesn't like the feel of X-1... get serious... no connection to the way he likes the feel and your ability & likability to & of the hit.

Bubba
03-03-2008, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. This guy even went so far to tell me I should use the Prince Synthetic gut instead as there is no difference between strings. My friend had his racquet strung with the Prince synthetic gut and then tried my racquet with the hextreme and said that it was amazing how much more spin he could get on his slice.

Your crappy stringer told you that because (and I'm guessing... but barely) because Prince Synthetic is a super inexpensive string and you can buy it by the truck load... and it's probably the only thing he's ever known. hextreme is 2x the cost... but still very reasonable. You can get a 300 reel for about $60.

Therefore, he's making more on the Prince Synthetic.
Check the TW string prices.

Bubba
03-03-2008, 01:05 PM
Take him a LM Prestige mid, and have him put in a 15 gauge rough of some sort. That will drive him nuts.

Yeah... and string it at a very high tension :twisted:

tguy91
03-04-2008, 07:27 PM
Yeah... and string it at a very high tension :twisted:

Too bad I don't have that racquet, maybe I ought to buy one...

stox
03-04-2008, 07:46 PM
If you want to have fun with him take him some full kevlar in a 15 guage rough. Weaving that stuff in the crosses is a nightmare. I remember when I had to do one I could weave across 4 mains or so then couldn't pull the string anymore.

tguy91
03-09-2008, 11:28 AM
If you want to have fun with him take him some full kevlar in a 15 guage rough. Weaving that stuff in the crosses is a nightmare. I remember when I had to do one I could weave across 4 mains or so then couldn't pull the string anymore.

Alright, thanks for the suggestion. What brand would be a good one to use?

origmarm
04-23-2009, 07:13 AM
Prince Problend with Duraflex is the worst thing to string. It's VERY stiff. Other than that Ashaway makes a very stiff Kevlar also. Those are the only two Kevlar strings I've tried. The Prince was hands down the worst string I have ever played with.

Cheers, Orig

Chicken Neck
04-23-2009, 08:21 AM
Your stringer charges you $10.00 for a full string job of SPPP Hex? That is a GREAT price. Unless of course you are supplying the string then it is about average. Apart from price, however, he sound a bit of a tool.