PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Nxt

TennisNewbie85
02-29-2008, 08:39 PM
i just switch to the wilson K factor tour 90. the racket was pretty heavy, but after a few days of hitting, i was able to adjust to the heavier weight. i strung the racket with wilson nxt on the main @ 55lbs and luxilion alu rough on the cross at 53lbs. it was amazing the amount of control and feel i had on this setup. i was able to angle shots that i have never thought imaginable(in my case). the only problem with this setup is that the wilson nxt popped within a few days of playing (about 9 hours). is there a string that i can replace the nxt with that will give me the same feel/playability, but with much MORE DURABILITY? i cant really afford to restring my rackets every couple of days. :cry:

maddog2020
02-29-2008, 08:49 PM
i just switch to the wilson K factor tour 90. the racket was pretty heavy, but after a few days of hitting, i was able to adjust to the heavier weight. i strung the racket with wilson nxt on the main @ 55lbs and luxilion alu rough on the cross at 53lbs. it was amazing the amount of control and feel i had on this setup. i was able to angle shots that i have never thought imaginable(in my case). the only problem with this setup is that the wilson nxt popped within a few days of playing (about 9 hours). is there a string that i can replace the nxt with that will give me the same feel/playability, but with much MORE DURABILITY? i cant really afford to restring my rackets every couple of days. :cry:

Try the hybrid the other way round - Luxilon in the mains and a soft string (oddly enough I get about 3 times the durability with Babolat VS 17 in the crosses than I did with NXT).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only major pro using the poly in the crosses hybrid is Federer, and he can afford lots of new strings.

satchman
02-29-2008, 09:59 PM
My friend tried using your method of NXT in the mains and poly in the crosses in his KSix-One Team but found it to vibrate too much at impact and has since gone back to the traditional way of poly in the mains and NXT in the crosses.

NXT is very soft and frays easily so why not substitute with something more durable like Sensation 16/17 or Prince Synthtic Gut Duraflex or my favourite, Dunlop Max Comfort 17?

racquet_jedi
02-29-2008, 10:10 PM
Try the hybrid the other way round - Luxilon in the mains and a soft string (oddly enough I get about 3 times the durability with Babolat VS 17 in the crosses than I did with NXT).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only major pro using the poly in the crosses hybrid is Federer, and he can afford lots of new strings.

There's also Hewitt...
I'm also an advocate for the trying the hybrid the other way around...

TennisNewbie85
03-01-2008, 12:14 AM
thats what a couple of my friends have told me, but im hesitant because of that fact that i will lose some or possible a lot of the "soft playability" due to the luxilon stiffness in the mains. but i guess i will have to give it a try. Thanks a lot for the input!

any recommendation on the new inverse string tension?! :confused:

leonardtay
03-01-2008, 12:39 AM

Having the poly in the mains changes the feel drastically. What you can try to do is string the poly in the cross at 1lb less than what you are doing now... i.e. 55lbs for the NXT and 52lbs for the Lux (you can also try using Weiss Cannon Silverstring to replace the Lux... it really is very good). Also, you might try using some string savers to prolong the life of the multi. I use Kgut pro and I usually get about 30 hours of so playtime before the Kgut snaps. This is at tension 56/53.