PDA

View Full Version : Playability AND Durability?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?

TennisNewbie85
03-01-2008, 01:21 PM
As the title suggest. Is there a string out there that will give me the comfort/feel of the wilson nxt with maximum durability? i had the nxt hybrid setup on my wilson k tour 90 with a poly(nxt on main @ 55lbs/Lux alu rough cross @ 53lbs). the nxt snap within hours of play. or should it just assumed that when it comes to strings, playability and durability just doesnt go together?:confused:

YULitle
03-01-2008, 01:24 PM
Typically: yes. That's why they have hybrids: to try and get both. But, inevitably durability and playability run opposite of each other.

nickb
03-01-2008, 01:25 PM
Natural gut in the mains will last much longer...you could even use a 15g gut which would still play great.

Nick

Valjean
03-01-2008, 01:38 PM
Man, try NXT *Max*, why don't you too? And you should add in string savers. That should more than do it. If not, pick a thicker gauge...

TennisNewbie85
03-01-2008, 01:39 PM
im pretty new when it comes to strings. ive read a lot about natural gut. Nick, im pretty shock to hear that natural gut will last much longer then the nxt considering all the cons ive been reading about it. thanks for tip. which brand of natural gut would u recommend? im willing to pay for the quality as long as it will last and holds tension!

nickb
03-01-2008, 01:44 PM
im pretty new when it comes to strings. ive read a lot about natural gut. Nick, im pretty shock to hear that natural gut will last much longer then the nxt considering all the cons ive been reading about it. thanks for tip. which brand of natural gut would u recommend? im willing to pay for the quality as long as it will last and holds tension!

Its a myth that natural gut is not durable....the truth is that natural gut will out last most syn guts and multis. String savers will give you even more string life. The playability with the ALU rough in the crosses will be fantastic...I did a review of 2 similar setups this week:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=183459

I would reccomend this gut to start with:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACBAB-BTGUT16.html

If you get the durability/playability you are looking for you can then move up to Babolat VS Touch:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACBAB-BNG16.html

Hope that helps...

Nick

TennisNewbie85
03-01-2008, 02:02 PM
Thanks nick! this information was extremely helpful. i will give natural gut a try(for the first time) and ill let u know how it goes....:)

nickb
03-01-2008, 02:04 PM
Thanks nick! this information was extremely helpful. i will give natural gut a try(for the first time) and ill let u know how it goes....:)

Just a few more things:

- You can up the tension a few pounds (prob around 2-4lbs) on the natural gut as it is powerful and elastic.
- Make sure your stringer knows what he is doing with the gut!

Nick

YULitle
03-01-2008, 02:12 PM
- Make sure your stringer knows what he is doing with the gut!

Nick

So true. This is why there is that myth about gut durability (that and they've come a long way in the manufacturing process.)