PDA

View Full Version : Lube reduces damage to NG crosses

kinsella
03-01-2008, 03:31 PM
I posted something on this a while back, but I keep seeing people post concerns about damaging natural gut crosses during weaving and tensioning. Lots of stringers use some kind of lube, with wax being a favorite for old schoolers. If you take a shoeshine sponge (not one with color - just something to impart a shine) and rub your mains after installing them (top and bottom), the silicone in the product will lube your gut crosses and reduce or eliminate damage from friction as you pull the natural gut to tension and straighten them out. This takes all of 5 seconds and puts a tiny amount of silicone on the strings. I have not found this to harm either the mains or crosses since I started doing this. When you take out a set of synthetic gut strings and they are slick with a clear liquid, that is silicone lube. When these are the mains, you don't need to add any more lube.

Steve Huff
03-01-2008, 08:32 PM
John, does this gunk up your clamps or tensioner? I've really never had a problem with natural gut anyway, using nothing, but haven't had to use many uncoated guts lately either.

kinsella
03-02-2008, 06:53 AM
This does not gunk up your clamp and tensioner as much as using, for example, Gosen OG Micro for any kind of string job. This string is well lubricated! Most synthetic guts have some lube on them, more than the shoe polish technique would put on the string.

I don't do this for gut hybrids where the mains are gut, but whenever I use gut in the crosses, it is a big help.

YULitle
03-02-2008, 08:26 AM
Yes, I was taught a long time ago to use paraffin wax on the mains before installing the crosses for the very same reason. The guy who showed me had a little block of it and rubbed it on the mains lightly, top and bottom. I would have used it if I could ever find it. I couldn't remember it enough to give a good search a chance. But, the one time I used it was great.

sneekynyc
03-02-2008, 08:42 AM
I use paraffin wax... It makes a huge difference when stringing gut... Get the scented kind and your racket will smell nice and fresh, lol.