PDA

View Full Version : Iso-Speed Baseline Spin or Gosen Polylon Ice?

hoodjem
03-01-2008, 03:18 PM
I’m thinking of getting an inexpensive reel of poly to try in many hybrid combos or by itself in a full string job. Two top contenders are Iso-Speed Baseline Spin 17g ($40) or Gosen Polylon Ice 17 ($30).

I’m looking for lotsa feel, high feedback, crisp and a bit zingy, not soft but also not dead.

Which would you get?

RestockingTues
03-01-2008, 03:19 PM
I bought some Gosen because of the price; I've played with it once and the strings felt really slippery, like they didn't bite into the ball at all. Try going for baseline, or a more expensive poly

goober
03-01-2008, 04:04 PM
Iím thinking of getting a reel of poly to try in many hybrid combos or by itself in a full string job. Two top contenders are Iso-Speed Baseline Spin 17g ($40) or Gosen Polylon Ice 17 ($30).

Iím looking for lotsa feel, high feedback, crisp and a bit zingy, not soft but also not dead.

Which would you get?

I haven't tried the Isospeed.

But for the Polyon Ice

feel- no
high feedback- not sure, never really have given this attribute to a string.
Crisp- yes
not soft- yes, not dead- it will be in about a couple hours.

Babb
03-01-2008, 05:38 PM
I'd go with the Isospeed, but I haven't used either of them. I've just heard bad things about Polylon Ice...

hoodjem
03-02-2008, 08:42 AM
Anyone else have a poor opinion of Polylon Ice?

Thanks.

Stannie
03-03-2008, 12:34 AM
From experience:

Tension Maintenance:
Ice > Spin

Playability:
Spin > ice

Durability:
Could not determine, always used in a hybrid (crosses always broke first). Spin felt softer, so maybe < Ice (?).

Stiffness:
Ice > Spin

Ice, I've tried as full poly and did not feel well. =[
Spin, used in hybrid with multi application only.

If you're looking for a better feeling blend, try the Baseline with a multi / syn gut (to cut cost). BEWARE of the quick tension loss with Baseline; otherwise, buy a set of Ice and Baseline, hybrid with syn gut (personal favorite: Gosen Sheep Micro 16), and play-test. Hope this helps.

Stan

kfactor/all/the/WAY!
03-03-2008, 05:05 AM
polyon ice is a a great poly for the price. tried it out and it is fine. it is not too stiff like everybody complained. it got grip on the ball and gave superb spin. going to try it one more time

hoodjem
03-03-2008, 12:40 PM
Stan and KFactor,

I'm after spin, crispness, and playability. Is either one more of these that Cyberflash?

I've tried a CF and Gosen Sheep OG Micro hybrid; it was pretty good.

Babb
03-03-2008, 03:07 PM
^^^^^
CF is top of the line in polys, while these are simply go-to's when you want something cheap. I haven't tried CF, Ice, or Spin, but I wouldn't stray from CF to one of those two unless price is an issue.

Stannie
03-06-2008, 11:09 AM
Stan and KFactor,

I'm after spin, crispness, and playability. Is either one more of these that Cyberflash?

I've tried a CF and Gosen Sheep OG Micro hybrid; it was pretty good.

I would recommend Gosen Ice 17 gauge. Sets are cheap, and when you're ready, purchase the inexpensive reel.

Stan

mdjenders
03-06-2008, 02:11 PM
as good as the polylon 17/micro 17 hybrid is for the price, the ice tension seems to drop like a rock after 5-6 hrs of play for me, while cyberflash will retain a reasonable tension for much, much longer. that alone makes the extra expense worth it, because cf isn't super expensive.

hoodjem
03-10-2008, 05:16 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I'll get either CF or Iso-Speed Spin, depending on budget.