PDA

View Full Version : New videos a-comin'! :D YULitle

Pages : [1] 2

YULitle
03-01-2008, 04:52 PM
That's right! New videos! I get a machine on Wednesday. I'll also have access to an O3 racquet to string, so for those of you who were wanting to see it done, I'll be working on those first. The machine limits the kinds of videos I can do and I will be re-shooting almost all of the videos made so far, BUT there will be new videos. :D So here's your chance. What do you want to see? What do you wish to learn? Post it here. I will try my best to keep a running tally on top. :)

Videos requested WILL be made, so long as supplies are readily available. BUT, I do have to work for a living and this time I can't do the videos on the job. :( But, I will get to all of the requests eventually. So, let me know what you wish to see. Even if you've already asked. This is the place to make it heard officially.

Let's hear it. :D Post for all machine types. I will be making videos for them all eventually. This is the request line.

List thus far:
Fastest String time
Pulling tension with dropweight
Natural gut on drop-weight (and I assume flying clamps.)
O3 w\ boomerang
Customize with lead
Blocked holes
Stringing Poly
Starting Mains with Drop-weight (another version)
Hybrid - AKA two-piece
One-piece
Knots
Stringing with Crank

Jonny S&V
03-01-2008, 04:54 PM
Well, once you get used to it, time your fastest stringing (with clock there) using whatever string you wish.

Also, do you have access to a drop-weight?

Zhou
03-01-2008, 04:58 PM
Which machine do you get Yulitle?
Also I have a question. When you set your anchor clamp, on your TF7000, you pull both mains at once to set the clamp, can you do that on a drop weight? I will be stringing on a Gamma Progression II 602 FC.

YULitle
03-01-2008, 05:01 PM
Well, once you get used to it, time your fastest stringing (with clock there) using whatever string you wish.

Also, do you have access to a drop-weight?

Not immediately, but I will soon. So, post for drop-weights too.

Which machine do you get Yulitle?
Also I have a question. When you set your anchor clamp, on your TF7000, you pull both mains at once to set the clamp, can you do that on a drop weight? I will be stringing on a Gamma Progression II 602 FC.

Yes, you should be able too, though I have never done it personally. I have heard of people having issues doing this, so I'm a little skeptical. As I said above, I will have access to a drop-weight soon so I can show.

The machine I will be borrowing is the Progression ES II+.

Jonny S&V
03-01-2008, 05:03 PM

Yes, you should be able too, though I have never done it personally. I have heard of people having issues doing this, so I'm a little skeptical. As I said above, I will have access to a drop-weight soon so I can show.

Ok, yeah, you should make a vid of the differences you have to make when using a drop-weight (such as how to tension poly correctly). I still hold true to the "your fastest stringing package to un-mount". :)

YULitle
03-01-2008, 05:07 PM
Ok, yeah, you should make a vid of the differences you have to make when using a drop-weight (such as how to tension poly correctly). I still hold true to the "your fastest stringing package to un-mount". :)

I'll be sure to do this one after I grow accustomed to the machine. When I switched from the Star5 to the TF7000, it was an immediate doubling of my string times. :D

Jonny S&V
03-01-2008, 05:09 PM
I'll be sure to do this one after I grow accustomed to the machine. When I switched from the Star5 to the TF7000, it was an immediate doubling of my string times. :D

Well, give it 3 months, I'm a patient guy. :twisted:

babolat15
03-01-2008, 05:10 PM
hip hip hooray. your videos are great bro

sneekynyc
03-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Nice man... Good luck with your new machine

TennisNewbie85
03-01-2008, 05:26 PM
natural gut on a drop weight system!!!!

Zhou
03-01-2008, 06:39 PM
I would never string natural gut on a drop weight.
I think that is crazy.
Yulitle, is it really worth buying a starting clamp?

YULitle
03-02-2008, 12:10 AM
I would never string natural gut on a drop weight.
I think that is crazy.
Yulitle, is it really worth buying a starting clamp?

Absolutely. :)

bagung
03-02-2008, 03:00 AM
looking forward to see the video on stringing the o3 without the boomerang and without the turn-table lock....

03-02-2008, 03:01 AM
1. x3 Natural gut on a d/w

2. maybe customising a racket with lead

3. In all your vids you never have blocked holes. So how can you easily pass blocked holes. I try cutting the string to make it sharp and use an awl to move the string but it doesnt always work.

Robbie_1988
03-02-2008, 03:04 AM
Lookin forward to seeing your videos YULitle. This will definitely be interesting seeing you stringing them Prince racquets with the holes in em. My head coach is too lazy to string anymore an expects me to do all the restringing for him at our tennis centre. Gotta say stringing them Prince racquets with the O Ports is a bit different to stringing any other traditional racquets. We use a crank stringer and I always have to lock the table when stringing the Prince sticks.

bagung
03-02-2008, 03:13 AM

by switching from TF7000 to ES II+, it means you are changing from spring-asisted to cone type swivel lock; would like to hear your comments on the difference....

YULitle
03-02-2008, 07:07 AM
by switching from TF7000 to ES II+, it means you are changing from spring-asisted to cone type swivel lock; would like to hear your comments on the difference....

I can already tell you they aren't as good. And, I can tell you that the TF's are better than man others that are spring assisted. There is a difference between the spring-assisted clamps on a Star 3 and the ones on the TF7000. The Star 3's, if I remember correctly, don't click into place. The TF's are like a light switch, on or off, there is no in between. You know what I mean? I light switch will not linger in the middle; it quickly snaps from one position to the other. The spring assisted clamps, like on the Star 3, are slightly different. The Star 3 I strung on, it's clamps base lock didn't snap into place. There's no tactile-feedback. You just assumed that it was holding. I didn't care for that so much. The Star 5 base locks... I wouldn't call those spring assisted. They may be, but it was more about securing the clamp to the table yourself, with tightening down the "screw" by hand." That was nice, so maybe I'll like the cone lock variety. :D We'll see.

nickb
03-02-2008, 08:24 AM
YULitle:

Your videos are excellent...keep up the good work!

Nick

diredesire
03-02-2008, 10:30 AM
The ESII+ is a solid, but slow machine. It's also (IMHO) not built for a heavy duty cycle. I've had a bit of clamp trouble recently with the ones we use at work. Good luck getting a "best" time on it, the tensioner is a little slow. I've gotten below 12 mins on it, though, but that was on the Diablo XP OS with a syn gut ;)

I've been trying to post comments on your youtube videos the past few days, but it doesn't seem to be taking (one has been posted).

I wanted to clarify that I AM jdeng @ washington.edu, so the website belongs to me, and I did develop the pattern myself. It sounded as if you thought I was just promoting a pattern i liked across different boards. If you do decide to redo that video feel free to include that :)

Great videos, though, I like the quality (even youtube compressed!) and the angle of viewing. I was going to tackle some videos myself, and I had a fair amount of footage, but the editing took forever, and I had to put it on the back burner due to school :(

Keep up the good work!

You've covered most of the interesting patterns, so I have nothing really to suggest.

jackson vile
03-02-2008, 10:34 AM
I have watched your videos, and want to say thank you very much. It is long long over due.

Do you have any videos where you are stringing poly?

YULitle
03-02-2008, 10:35 AM
nickb: Thanks!

diredesire: I named it after you! ;) :D I'll make it more clear when I re-do it. :D

diredesire
03-02-2008, 11:53 AM
nickb: Thanks!

diredesire: I named it after you! ;) :D I'll make it more clear when I re-do it. :D

Yep, not a big deal, I thought you might've been under the impression there were 2 different people involved :)

YULitle
03-03-2008, 03:02 AM
Yep, not a big deal, I thought you might've been under the impression there were 2 different people involved :)

I was, kind of. More like a team of people. Working diligently around the clock? ;););)

AT92292
03-03-2008, 01:21 PM
String a hybrid

king of swing
03-03-2008, 01:21 PM
personally i would like to see how to start mains on a drop weight. I don't get how you would pull both the first mains at the same time. also on a head radical since it is from my understanding that you string hoop to yoke and not the other way round' as is in most other rackets

YULitle
03-03-2008, 01:27 PM
String a hybrid

Gotcha. Though, it's no different from two-piece. Unless there was something specific about it?

personally i would like to see how to start mains on a drop weight. I don't get how you would pull both the first mains at the same time. also on a head radical since it is from my understanding that you string hoop to yoke and not the other way round' as is in most other rackets

Drop-weight coming. I already have one up, but there is a way where you don't have to double pull at all.

Also, I assume you mean how to ATW string, so as not to string throat to head? This is also on my youtube channel already. This link is in my signature.

king of swing
03-03-2008, 01:55 PM
ahh thanx I didn't see that.

YULitle
03-04-2008, 03:12 AM
ahh thanx I didn't see that.

No problem. :D

Zhou
03-04-2008, 03:38 AM
If you wouldn't mind, a one piece?
I just have been curious to how to do it.

AT92292
03-04-2008, 05:09 PM
Can you try and make one video where you just show one full string job? Also why on your old videos for the crosses do you go to the 2nd cross first then the 1st?

YULitle
03-04-2008, 05:20 PM
If you wouldn't mind, a one piece?
I just have been curious to how to do it.

Yes. :D

Can you try and make one video where you just show one full string job? Also why on your old videos for the crosses do you go to the 2nd cross first then the 1st?

Well, I've got a video on my computer of a whole string job, but it's more than ten minutes. The YouTube feature that allows you to upload movies over ten minutes never works for me, so I cut it into two.

I assume that you mean, why do I weave the second and then the first? This is because, in short, if you weave the first first, when you go to weave the second you'll have close to 18 feet of string to weave across on the second. By doing the second first, you only have about 3 feet to weave across on the first. It's merely a technique to string faster; one of the few that doesn't affect performance. :D

themitchmann
03-04-2008, 06:00 PM
I'd like to see a video of the starting knot you use. The Parnell knot video was very helpful, and I've been using it for the last couple of weeks.

t0nym4c
03-04-2008, 06:09 PM
I would like to see a video on how to string a racquet on a crank machine.

Zhou
03-04-2008, 06:10 PM
A good source for learning to tie knots (http://www.keohi.com/tennis/misc/knots.htm#Pro%20Knot%20/%20Richard%20Parnell%20Knot%20/%20Half%20Hitch%20Knot%20with%20a%20Tail)

YULitle
03-05-2008, 12:07 AM
I'd like to see a video of the starting knot you use. The Parnell knot video was very helpful, and I've been using it for the last couple of weeks.

Yes. I will be doing a whole series of videos on knots. :D

I would like to see a video on how to string a racquet on a crank machine.

Yes. I will show how to tension with one. The rest can easily be derived from the other videos.

themitchmann
03-05-2008, 05:11 AM
A good source for learning to tie knots (http://www.keohi.com/tennis/misc/knots.htm#Pro%20Knot%20/%20Richard%20Parnell%20Knot%20/%20Half%20Hitch%20Knot%20with%20a%20Tail)

That site shows a very common starting knot. Now, people just call it a "starting knot." When I learned it, it was called "Perry's Fishing Knot." There is also a very basic version of a starting knot that is similar to the half hitch with an additional pass through. I believe that YULitle is using an adapted and bulkier version of this knot (correct me if I'm wrong). I learn both from an old USRSA Stringers Digest from the late 80's, early 90's.

The Fishing Knot works well, but the tail of the knot sticks into to string bed, while the original starting knot's tail lies flush against the racquet. The knot YULitle uses is bulkier than the original starting knot, while allowing the tail of the knot to lie against the frame (again, correct me if I'm wrong).

Thanks again, YULitle. You are a huge asset to have on these boards.

YULitle
03-05-2008, 05:15 AM
themitchman: The bulky knot can be bigger than the traditional knot. That is it's one flaw. It has kind of a high learning curve. You have to tie it just right to get the bulk down to a proper size.

The fisherman's knot, as I learned it, is basically going around the anchor twice and than through the loops from the frame out.

themitchmann
03-05-2008, 08:38 AM
Yes, but bulky is better than it slipping through the grommet...and that's what I'm actually looking for. I find that I can tie the traditional starting knot when the grommet hasn't been overly flared. However, as I restring that particular racquet over and over, the grommet get more flared, and the knot starts to pull through. This is typically when I use the fisherman's knot (or now commonly referred to as the "starting knot"). I like the fisherman's knot as far as function, but would prefer a knot that the tail is flush with the frame, so that it looks a little better cosmetically.

I am right in my assessment that your bulky knot is a variation of the traditional starting knot?

YULitle
03-05-2008, 08:50 AM
Not really. It's a variation of a single hitch really. You essentially do a single hitch inside of a single hitch, if that makes sense.

themitchmann
03-05-2008, 09:32 AM
Interesting...can't quite picture it. Looking forward to the video. Thanks again.

Rafanatic
03-05-2008, 12:03 PM
are u going to post all the videos at the same time

YULitle
03-05-2008, 12:46 PM
No. I just got the machine today. I'll be shooting some today and may have some up tonite. Remember that I will be reshooting a lot of videos, so that may make the "oh-boy" factor of posting videos less. But, I plan on doing a video on teflon tubing and using a guide awl tonite. Maybe more, time depending.

Also, I may be coming on a job that will keep me from doing videos, sort of. So, this will slow down video output. But, bare with me, as I plan on making all of these videos. :D Just gotta get the equipment and time.

Zhou
03-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Sweet, I can't wait.
Your videos helped me through my first string job.

AT92292
03-05-2008, 01:44 PM
If you could put both parts of how to string a racket regular that would be great! : )

YULitle
03-05-2008, 06:24 PM
YouTube is under maintenance. But, expect two new videos in the morning. I'll update with the link to them as soon as they're up. For those of you who are subscribers, you'll see it right away.

:D It feels good to be stringing again :D

If you could put both parts of how to string a racket regular that would be great! : )

You mean a regular string job beginning to end? I'll try again. I had issues uploading movies over 10 minutes on youtube. But, what's one more try? Maybe it was a temporary issue. :)

mdjenders
03-05-2008, 08:36 PM
Excellent YULitle! I will be sure to watch your new clips when I roll out of bed to watch Dubai tomorrow morning. However difficult it may be, I will resist the temptation to string some frames tomorrow using your tutorials; not going to risk gouging my eye with the pliers again.

YULitle
03-06-2008, 05:56 AM
Alright, two new videos.

Guide Awl - How to
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fRjoiaJad6Q

Teflon Tubing - How to
http://youtube.com/watch?v=040W5r8F04w

More coming. :D Maybe one or two more today. I've got a nice long honey-do-list to deal with first though. :D

03-06-2008, 08:14 AM
LOL you have been online for ages. Are you recording or posting vids or are you just looking around the forums?

Also great vid on the pathfinder, exactly what i was looking for. You not looking to sell it are you?

Also the tubing TW sells 10 ft. How much is that in centremetres??

YULitle
03-06-2008, 08:27 AM
LOL you have been online for ages. Are you recording or posting vids or are you just looking around the forums?

Also great vid on the pathfinder, exactly what i was looking for. You not looking to sell it are you?

Also the tubing TW sells 10 ft. How much is that in centremetres??

Google says it's 304.8 cm. All you type in google is "10 ft in cm" and BAM there's your answer. I love it. :D

It's not my pathfinder, so no, I can't sell it. :) And yes, I'm online A LOT. This is because I'm making videos on the computer anyway and the machine is right behind me and I don't have a real job yet. :D Mostly the last one. ;)

03-06-2008, 08:30 AM
Thanks, i saw the 304 cm but that seems a lot for $3.50

Are you still stringing a lot or havnt you found a tennis place yet to string for?

What vids are you currently making?

1 more quest:) Will the pathfinder work with blocked holes?

YULitle
03-06-2008, 08:40 AM
1012007: Yes, that's what it is designed to deal with.

There are no tennis shops around here. The nearest one is two hours away.

Right now, I'm working on my rig to shoot top down videos.

03-06-2008, 08:43 AM
But how does the tip go "through" a hole with a string in the way. In your vid you said its used for tough grommets so i just assumed it was for other things. Thanks thats great ill buy one soon if i get round to order from TW.

YULitle
03-06-2008, 09:13 AM
The tip is an awl so it can work through tight spaces better than a string can. :D

topknocker
03-06-2008, 09:21 AM
yu, there are alot of very experienced stringers on this forum. some with certification, some not. as good as these people are they have never posted helpful vids like you have. maybe thay can't present very well. you can have someone who is extremely knowledgeable about a topic but, can't present or deliver it at all. you have this ability to present your knowledge very well. don't know if you realize just how helpful you are. thanks

YULitle
03-08-2008, 09:45 AM
Thanks topknocker :)

I aded two new videos. They may seem silly, but they will make since down the road. I will be adding a nice little video compilation on knots. Should be up tonight, possibly tomorrow.

03-08-2008, 09:47 AM
Cant see the new vids on youtube

What ones are they?

Babb
03-08-2008, 09:48 AM
YULitle, I know this question has been asked before, but is there any updated info on the video for stringing a Speedport?

YULitle
03-08-2008, 09:55 AM
I have a speedport in the mail, it should be here monday. I will try to get that video up then. I am still trying to get my top-down rig working.

1012007: There is one on swivel clamps and rotational grippers that I added two nights ago, if I remember correctly. The two before that were Teflon tubing and how to use a Guide Awl.

03-08-2008, 09:58 AM
Thanks topknocker :)

I aded two new videos.

Sorry i thought were added new ones today.

Yeah I saw Matt saying in a post that he is not using his 3 speedports anymore and i said can i buy the one with grip 3 3/8 .... but guess what thats being sent to you!!

YULitle
03-08-2008, 10:38 AM
Sorry i thought were added new ones today.

Yeah I saw Matt saying in a post that he is not using his 3 speedports anymore and i said can i buy the one with grip 3 3/8 .... but guess what thats being sent to you!!

It actually just came through my front door 10 minutes ago. :D

03-08-2008, 10:42 AM
What you waiting for?:):)

YULitle
03-08-2008, 10:43 AM
Gotta get my top-down rig set up. I think I've got it figured out, I just have to go to wal-mart and get the necessary supplies. :D

Knot videos coming up. You'll want to see these. :D

YULitle
03-08-2008, 11:27 AM
Knot Videos! Knots like you've never seen them before. :D

Double half-hitch Knot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtbBKxJ2wkA)
Parnell Knot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUFjDax7xK4)
Starting Knot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBMEP6WjYR0)
Bulky (starting) Knot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT1cXy-6Wz0)

Sorry for the double post, seems inherent. :D

Babb
03-08-2008, 11:33 AM
I have a speedport in the mail, it should be here monday. I will try to get that video up then. I am still trying to get my top-down rig working.
Are you ordering a Speedport solely for the purpose of doing a stringing video with it? :shock:

03-08-2008, 11:36 AM
Matt (stringjob designer i believe) sent one to him

YULitle
03-08-2008, 12:05 PM
Are you ordering a Speedport solely for the purpose of doing a stringing video with it? :shock:

Matt (stringjob designer i believe) sent one to him

;) (10 chars.)

themitchmann
03-08-2008, 04:51 PM
The knot videos are great. I was right about the bulky starting knot...being a variation of the knot I learned back in the day. You follow the first couple of steps of the knot you've demonstrated: half hitch, then down/through the first opening. Essentially, it looks like a square knot around the anchor string. Your bulky knot adds the final step of coming up through the newly created loop. I like it.

I learned the knot that everyone is commonly referring to as the "starting knot" by another name: Perry's Fishing Knot.

I'm sure thats why you thought my assessment was off. Thanks again for the videos.

YULitle
03-09-2008, 06:15 AM
mitchman: If there are knots that I've left out, let me know. I don't have the book in front of me so I just did the one's I know.

es-0
03-09-2008, 06:45 AM
Those are really great videos for the knots, when they are done on actual strings it's a lot harder to see. But I like the pre-school approach.

Any general rules on when to use (and not use) each knot?

03-09-2008, 06:49 AM
Yeah the parnell knot is way easier to see there, then when your doing it with real strings.

diredesire
03-09-2008, 07:01 AM
nice approach with the colored strings, YL, that's very clever :)

YULitle
03-09-2008, 01:15 PM
Those are really great videos for the knots, when they are done on actual strings it's a lot harder to see. But I like the pre-school approach.

Any general rules on when to use (and not use) each knot?

Yes, Starting knots are to start crosses. The other two are for any other time.

You only apply direct tension to the starting knots, and not the parnell or double half-hitch.

nice approach with the colored strings, YL, that's very clever :)

Thanks! I'm feeling pretty smug about it actually. :D ;)

themitchmann
03-09-2008, 02:28 PM
mitchman: If there are knots that I've left out, let me know. I don't have the book in front of me so I just did the one's I know.

No, I think you've covered it well. I was just letting you know about the starting knot I learned. Its major flaw is that it can pull through fairly easily. Your bulky knot adds another "layer" of mass, so that this won't happen. I think you've nailed the important knots...I don't use anything different, and know that I understand the bulky knot, it'll take the place of my current starting knot and the fishing knot. Thanks.

YULitle
03-09-2008, 02:31 PM
No, I think you've covered it well. I was just letting you know about the starting knot I learned. Its major flaw is that it can pull through fairly easily. Your bulky knot adds another "layer" of mass, so that this won't happen. I think you've nailed the important knots...I don't use anything different, and know that I understand the bulky knot, it'll take the place of my current starting knot and the fishing knot. Thanks.

Good good. And if you want, I can show you an "easier" way to tie the bulky knot. I just noticed it when I was doing these videos. You basically start off doing the standard starting knot, pull the second loop into the first (towards the frame,) then put the tail through that second loop. :D I found out by messing up the bulky knot. :)

YULitle
03-09-2008, 04:05 PM
Added a video on stringing O3s. Hope this clears things up for those who asked for it. If not, let me know. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf_7lfBnOIA

es-0
03-09-2008, 04:36 PM
Yes, Starting knots are to start crosses. The other two are for any other time.

You only apply direct tension to the starting knots, and not the parnell or double half-hitch.

So is it alright to use Parnells or double half-hitches when starting crosses, as when I was being taught how to string she used double half-hitches for all the knots?

YULitle
03-09-2008, 05:00 PM
So is it alright to use Parnells or double half-hitches when starting crosses, as when I was being taught how to string she used double half-hitches for all the knots?

NO. :D Neither are okay for starting knots. The only time you can use them as something close to a starting knot is when you use a starting clamp to start your crosses. Then you can use parnell or double half-hitch. These two knots are not bulky enough to hold the stress of direct tension.

bagung
03-09-2008, 05:42 PM
thanks, yulitle..
you are always very helpful.....
between the strating knot and bulky starting knot, which is better in your opinion...?
on the ES II+, there is one side with yellow dot and the other side without, what does that indications for??

bagung
03-09-2008, 05:44 PM
after looking at your video of o3, i am going to try to string my nephew o3 silver to find out..... thanks..

YULitle
03-09-2008, 05:50 PM
thanks, yulitle..
you are always very helpful.....
between the strating knot and bulky starting knot, which is better in your opinion...?
on the ES II+, there is one side with yellow dot and the other side without, what does that indications for??

I personally like the bulky knot.

I have had this machine for almost a week and I hadn't noticed it. It came to me disassembled, yet I managed to get the yellow-dotted post on the side of the table with the yellow dot. I haven't the foggiest what it's for.... :D

bagung
03-09-2008, 05:57 PM
does the yellow dot indicates that we have to put the head of the frame on that side....????

bagung
03-09-2008, 06:03 PM
yulitle,
in the gamma web site, they sell the spring-asisted swivel; and it does fit the ES II +... do you think it is a good idea of having it? does it perform as well as the TF7000 spring asisted swivel...?
the cone-type swivel does bother me and kind of slow...

YULitle
03-09-2008, 06:04 PM
does the yellow dot indicates that we have to put the head of the frame on that side....????

That's my only guess (head or throat) but I can't see any physical difference in the posts. If that Gamma tech is reading this, HELP! :D :D Please

YULitle
03-09-2008, 06:04 PM
I don't have the spring assist on the one I'm using so I wouldn't know. I know that I miss having the spring assist, however it compared to the Gamma. :D

zacinnc78
03-09-2008, 06:24 PM
natural gut on a drop weight system!!!!

i second that !

YULitle
03-10-2008, 03:03 AM
i second that !

Yeah? You wanna donate the natural gut? ;) kidding

03-10-2008, 08:13 AM
Wheres the link to your vid. It brings up something else and the 03 vid isnt on your youtube page

YULitle
03-10-2008, 08:32 AM
Those vids are being reshot. Sorry. They should be back up tonight. :D Bare with me.

03-10-2008, 08:34 AM
Yeah just found out you deleted them?

Why?

PS can you email me the original 03 as i want to see it before 2moz:):)

YULitle
03-10-2008, 08:42 AM
Yeah just found out you deleted them?

Why?

PS can you email me the original 03 as i want to see it before 2moz:):)

Actually, the O3 was taken down by mistake. It can go back up immediately. The knots had to be redone for a couple reasons. Mainly it's because I wanted to make a few more things clear about them, after having received a few questions. Also, I was contacted by Mr. Parnell and he enlightened me as to a slight error I made in his knot, sorry Richard! :D I have been using this knot for some time and I never put any thought into a particular step and WHO KNOWS how I've been tying them so far. I think I've been tying them right and just got confused with it being bigger string (hopes.) It didn't affect the quality of the knot as I've never had one slip, BUT the revised version will be up tonight. In fact, it's already shot and just needs to be edited. :)

1012007: I'm uploading the O3 video right now.

03-10-2008, 08:44 AM
ok thanks for the vid.

LOL your screwed if you have done it wrong all this time. Think about all the rackets you have strung, however i guess you can say a knot is a know and as you didnt notice any problems with the strings you'll be ok

Lets just hope for your sake you have done it wrong just on the big strings!!

YULitle
03-10-2008, 08:46 AM
I'm pretty sure that I've been doing it the right way. I looked at my "tightening knots" video from a few months back, and it looks right. You'll see when I repost the video. Actually, you may not. It's subtle. In fact, if you notice where I differed, I'll send you some string. :)

03-10-2008, 08:47 AM
OK you have got a deal :)

You'll have to post it quick otherwise ill forget the incorrect way.

Never used parnell before so its all new to me

YULitle
03-10-2008, 09:20 AM
O3 Vid is back up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf_7lfBnOIA

jim e
03-10-2008, 10:15 AM
Actually, the O3 was taken down by mistake. It can go back up immediately. The knots had to be redone for a couple reasons. Mainly it's because I wanted to make a few more things clear about them, after having received a few questions. Also, I was contacted by Mr. Parnell and he enlightened me as to a slight error I made in his knot, sorry Richard! :D I have been using this knot for some time and I never put any thought into a particular step and WHO KNOWS how I've been tying them so far. I think I've been tying them right and just got confused with it being bigger string (hopes.) It didn't affect the quality of the knot as I've never had one slip, BUT the revised version will be up tonight. In fact, it's already shot and just needs to be edited. :)

1012007: I'm uploading the O3 video right now.

The knot I was taught years ago, was similar to yours except that the last tail went through the big loop that you 1st pull to take up the slack, in otherwords the end tail went on the other side of the last loop, if that makes any sense. Was taught to me back in late 60's by an old timer at that time, said he did it that way for years. That was back in the days of only woodies, and T2000's to string, and the Wilson manual knot on the T2000 is a little similar in some respects to the "pro knot," but has an extra loop, and need to make 3 separate pulls on that knot, but it has been a long time since I strung one of those T2000's.My wife still has one of the T2000's so I may just string that one up sometime. Jim

YULitle
03-10-2008, 10:25 AM
jim_e: That's essentially it. I think you'll be able to tell for sure once the new video is up.

jim e
03-10-2008, 10:50 AM
YULitle: Then how does R. Parnell get it named after him, when it was taught to me back in 1968, by an old timer then unless Parnell is a very old timer himself, and came up with it a very long long time ago?BTW that old timer that taught that to me did not tell me a name for that knot, just told me that it was a good one to use and get in the habit of tying it, but could also use a double half hitch if needed to, so I always just used that one and not the double h h.This person told me it distinguished his work from others, and was able to tell if he strung it by the knot, (he was getting up there in years at that time, was probably ending his stringing days, and told me I would always tell my string jobs from anyone elses by this knot)As I said it was similar to yours except that the tail went through the last loop. I thought that yours was the so called Parnell, and the one I used was a variant of it, but now it seems that the knot I was taught is the so called Pro Knot, or Parnell knot and yours the varient?

YULitle
03-10-2008, 11:00 AM
jim_e: I'm not sure about the specifics, but I think the name was attached to that knot against Richard's wishes. But, I could be wrong.... Not that he was against it entirely, but I'm pretty sure he had nothing to do with it becoming "his" knot. You know? Maybe if he sees this, he could explain it, though I'm sure he has a thousand times. :D

jim e
03-10-2008, 01:12 PM
This knot subject brings up memories from past. Back about 1969-1970, an individual that I hit with, and strung some of his racquets(he had a # of them). One time while playing tennis with him, he told me that the racquet I gave him last week that a knot came undone.Perplexed, I asked him if he was sure it was the one that I did, said he was positive. I told him I would redo it. When he brought it in ,1st thing I noticed was that all the knots were single hitches, which I saw a lot of back then on some woodies. I asked him if he has another racquet with the same strings(was wilson's international nylon, very popular back then,I used it because I got that string at dealer price which was about 1/2 retail, but thats another story) . He said he did, but that one was strung in a near by city. I then showed him my racquet, then my brothers, and to look at the knots,and then to look at his.I told him I never used single hitches, That the only knot that I used was the ones like on my racquet (now called the Parnell), (the T2000's had there own knot to use, and was the only racquet I did not use this knot).As back then,this knot distinguished my racquets from everyone elses. This guy appologised big time and from that time on gave me all of his frames to string.When I saw YULitles video, I assumed that the knot that I used was a early version of the parnell knot, as I went through the last loop and YULitle did not,seems like it was the parnell knot that I was using all along.I have an old Tad Davis racquet strung with Bow brand gut from my high school days hung on the wall as an antique, with 4 parnell knots That I must have done in1971 or 1972 .Would be interesting to find out where this knot really did originate from.

cujays
03-10-2008, 01:36 PM
i do like the o3 video

03-10-2008, 01:39 PM
In your vid you say that with the speedports its almost impossible to do the last cross. Does this imply with the Speedport tour, the one you have at the end of the vid?

Also with the 03 holes, do you justr simply put one string into the hole then loop it around to the next?

YULitle
03-10-2008, 02:09 PM
In your vid you say that with the speedports its almost impossible to do the last cross. Does this imply with the Speedport tour, the one you have at the end of the vid?

Also with the 03 holes, do you justr simply put one string into the hole then loop it around to the next?

The speedport tour seems to be an exception. The midplus/oversize modles have one last O-port that is difficult.

Yes. Every O-port will have two strings going through them, one going in and one going out. The string goes out an O-port, and into the one next it.

03-10-2008, 02:18 PM
Can you do a close up of going through the ports. Only needs to be 1 min. This would help me loads

nickb
03-10-2008, 02:20 PM
Can you do a close up of going through the ports. Only needs to be 1 min. This would help me loads

Its really easy....when you string an O3 you will know right away how the string goes through the ports...just make sure you start the crosses from the correct side of the racket (best to string 2 piece).

Nick

03-10-2008, 02:30 PM
OK thanks nick, Just dont know what to pick, i have some tournaments at easter and still looking for a racket,

Decided on a few by Specs - SP Tour, APDC, or 03 tour judging by your review

What do you think of all 3?

nickb
03-10-2008, 02:32 PM
OK thanks nick, Just dont know what to pick, i have some tournaments at easter and still looking for a racket,

Decided on a few by Specs - SP Tour, APDC, or 03 tour judging by your review

What do you think of all 3?

I think the APDC could be a good one for you...is there any way you could try one at your club (borrow from a memeber..they are pretty popular)..?

Nick

03-10-2008, 02:35 PM
NO,

I have a intersport near me but no other places. Its just a pain to return them:)

ATM i have elbow problems and i read in a earlier post you wrote "they gave me elbow pains"

Im really not sure what 1

PS shall i up your bidding on your tours? and have you sent the mfil?

nickb
03-10-2008, 02:38 PM
NO,

I have a intersport near me but no other places. Its just a pain to return them:)

ATM i have elbow problems and i read in a earlier post you wrote "they gave me elbow pains"

PS shall i up your bidding on your tours?

Well if you have a bad arm then the O3s are good for that...

Other than that not much I can help you with...if you cant try a racket its prob best to stick with what your using until you can find one you like the specs of to try out.

Im never gonna buy a racket without using it again...ive done it too many times and always go back to the same stick..

Nick

Doc Hollidae
03-10-2008, 02:40 PM
NO,

PS shall i up your bidding on your tours? and have you sent the mfil?

IMO, the Speedports and O Ports are pretty easy on the arm. Very soft and dampened.

03-10-2008, 02:41 PM
Doc you have tried loads of rackets.

What do you prefer - SP tour, 03 Tour, APDC??

Doc Hollidae
03-10-2008, 02:51 PM
Doc you have tried loads of rackets.

What do you prefer - SP tour, 03 Tour, APDC??

I liked the SP Tour a lot and thought the APDC had potential, but the upper hoop seemed like it didn't have much weight or stability there.

I haven't tried thte O3 Tour, but I'm currently playing the Ozone Pro Tour and had demoed the Ozone Tour which is supposedly an update of the O3 Tour MP. I obviously like the Pro Tour, but thought the Ozone Tour was great too. If it wasn't for the dense patter of the Pro Tour, I probably would have bought the Ozone Tour or SP Tour.

The SP Tour plays a lot more similar to a traditional racket despite the ports and has a little more power than your usual player's racket. However there was good control as well. Easily the heaviest of the 3 rackets.

The APDC was the lightest and least stable of the 3 rackets. I thought it had potential, but not without the addition of lead at the top of the head.

Personal Preference:
SP Tour > Ozone Tour/O3 Tour MP > APDC

Power:
APDC > SP Tour > Ozone Tour/03 Tour MP

03-10-2008, 02:54 PM
Ok thankyou a lot for that.

Whats the best for serving and groundstrokes out of the SP tour and APDC?

Doc Hollidae
03-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Ok thankyou a lot for that.

Whats the best for serving and groundstrokes out of the SP tour and APDC?

Personally I liked the SP Tour better for serving. For groundstrokes they were two different rackets. The APDC is definitely a tweener, while the SP Tour plays more like a players racket. The APDC has more effortless power, where the SP Tour has power that comes with good technique and racket headspeed. The SP Tour is definitely more demanding and it's power isn't really noticed until you start swinging out. Control goes hands down to the SP Tour though.

In the end they are two different rackets. If you're a competitive player who's used to the power level and weight of a player's racket, the SP Tour will be an easier transistion. If you're coming from a tweener, the APDC will feel more similar. The Ozone Tour/O3 Tour MP would be the middle in terms of tweeners and player's rackets. Player like feel, but closer to tweener weight.

Note:
I never tried the SP Tour with the string hole inserts, only the port inserts.

themitchmann
03-10-2008, 05:19 PM
Doc, I agree with you assessment. I think you're spot on.

bagung
03-10-2008, 07:17 PM
Yulitle,
from your experience, how many string jobs can a racquet stands...?
thanks..

SW Stringer
03-10-2008, 07:32 PM
Yulitle,
thanks..

Apparently Andre Aggasi didn't like the feel of a racquet until it had been strung seventy (70) times. So probably greater than 70.

YULitle
03-11-2008, 03:13 AM
Yulitle,
thanks..

Every racquet is different. I've heard guesses from 5-50. Typically, I see the racquet wear down physically before I see the performance level drop. This issue is usually taken care of on it's own, IMO, because the people who can tell when a racquet has passed that point are the same people who switch racquets often. But, for people who replace the bumper guard periodically and only get their racquet strung 1-2 times a year, the racquet should last them forever.

imaginarydogs
03-11-2008, 03:29 AM
I'd just like to chime in that I also appreciate your youtube videos.
Also, I'm curious as to why you can't do videos at work now.
Lastly, I'd like to suggest a video of spaghetti stringing!

YULitle
03-11-2008, 03:33 AM
I'd just like to chime in that I also appreciate your youtube videos.
Also, I'm curious as to why you can't do videos at work now.
Lastly, I'd like to suggest a video of spaghetti stringing!

No problem! :D

I can't string at work because I don't... work, that is. I moved away from my job and am currently looking for a new one, though I doubt it will be tennis related. :(

imaginarydogs
03-11-2008, 03:40 AM

I can't string at work because I don't... work, that is. I moved away from my job and am currently looking for a new one, though I doubt it will be tennis related. :(Good luck in your job search.

In the meantime, maybe you could get some stringing jobs from people in your new area. You could post on craigslist and link to your youtube videos to advertise your knowlege and skill.

I'm sure your videos would convince many people to bring their business to you, and even more so since you say you live in a place where there are no tennis shops.

Heck, if there are no tennis shops, maybe you could open one ;)

ericsson
03-11-2008, 03:45 AM

I can't string at work because I don't... work, that is. I moved away from my job and am currently looking for a new one, though I doubt it will be tennis related. :(

Michael, a man with your skills and experience could have a job in an instant as a stringer or i'm a mistaken here??

YULitle
03-11-2008, 04:03 AM
Michael, a man with your skills and experience could have a job in an instant as a stringer or i'm a mistaken here??

There are no tennis shops around here. There is hardly any tennis. And getting on a team stringing at an event is tough. I really don't have such connections. :?

toworld
03-11-2008, 04:09 AM
Hi I'm going to stringing my first set of natural gut. Except to clean all clamps, tensioner, check racket grommets, do I miss anything for the exciting stringing job.
Many thanks
tak

YULitle
03-11-2008, 04:25 AM
Hi I'm going to stringing my first set of natural gut. Except to clean all clamps, tensioner, check racket grommets, do I miss anything for the exciting stringing job.
Many thanks
tak

You may wish to pre-stretch. Other than that, you are pretty prepared. :D

You may want to glaze over this page before you start. There are good tips here.

http://www.******************.com/Sinfo6.php

replace the *** with "g r a n d s l a m s t r i n g e r s"

ericsson
03-11-2008, 04:28 AM
There are no tennis shops around here. There is hardly any tennis. And getting on a team stringing at an event is tough. I really don't have such connections. :?

That's a pity man, but like you said it's all about connections, knowing the right people.

YULitle
03-11-2008, 09:41 AM
Knots are back up. Waiting on my starting clamp to arrive. It got mis-shipped and I'm having to track it down. Also, running low on strings so waiting on my reel to come in as well (OG Micro 17, just to answer that before it's asked.) I also expect a heat sleeve and a new bumper guard/grommet kit in the mail. So expect those videos. :D And no, I didn't get them just for the videos. My N6-1 handle is too small and I took a chunk out of the bumper guard swinging it in the house. It's getting warmer and I need to get out and work on my serve. :D

03-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Im really stuck...

SP Tour which you have given a greta review, or the APDC which has more power, easier to string and is way more popular so it is either good or the SP Tour is not so good

Doc Hollidae
03-11-2008, 02:09 PM
Im really stuck...

SP Tour which you have given a greta review, or the APDC which has more power, easier to string and is way more popular so it is either good or the SP Tour is not so good

Stringing is a hassle for Prince rackets, but shouldn't be a reason to choose another racket. I'd suggest demoing both of them and seeing what you like more. You might give the Ozone Tour a look too. I think it'll play like a mix of the two rackets just lower powered.

I don't wanna hijack YUlitle's awesome thread though, so feel free to email me or start a thread in the rackets section and we can discuss further.

YULitle
03-11-2008, 02:10 PM
It's no problem Doc. I see it as a collaboration. :D ;)

03-11-2008, 02:12 PM
Sorry YULitle im just tearing my hair out with choices... who would have them

What racket, strings and whether to fork out $850 on a new machine

Doc- Turn your email or pm on

Doc Hollidae
03-11-2008, 02:15 PM
Sorry YULitle im just tearing my hair out with choices... who would have them

What racket, strings and whether to fork out $850 on a new machine

Doc- Turn your email or pm on

Turned it on I think. Trickery007 @ yahoo.com if not.

BTW YULitle, I've thorough enjoyed your videos and it's helped me a lot with my stringing. The X-2 manual that came with the machine were terrible when I bought it, wish I could have seen your videos earlier.

ChipNCharge
03-11-2008, 06:42 PM
There are no tennis shops around here. There is hardly any tennis.

There's not a lot going on in Guymon. Does OPSU have a tennis team?

YULitle
03-12-2008, 03:15 AM
There's not a lot going on in Guymon. Does OPSU have a tennis team?

No, but the Community College in Liberal does.

livthemoment
03-12-2008, 06:31 AM
Can you post a vid on the best method for adding weight to the handle?

Loco4Tennis
03-12-2008, 07:22 AM
YULITLE, ive been using the parnell knot all this time, i saw your video and was able to follow your steps (great presentation tool by the way), but you mentioned this is not a starting knot when applying tension to it ddirecttly, but since i use a dropweight and 2 rows of strings are weaved prior to putting tension on the crosses when starting, their is no direct pulling on the knot on my case, would this knot still be a good thing to continue using on a dropweight crosses?, so far i have not had any issues with knots slipping or slipping back into the grommets, but i do want to make sure i do it right, what would you suggest

YULitle
03-12-2008, 07:51 AM
Can you post a vid on the best method for adding weight to the handle?

I plan on it, but it is way down at the bottom of the list. :(

YULITLE, ive been using the parnell knot all this time, i saw your video and was able to follow your steps (great presentation tool by the way), but you mentioned this is not a starting knot when applying tension to it ddirecttly, but since i use a dropweight and 2 rows of strings are weaved prior to putting tension on the crosses when starting, their is no direct pulling on the knot on my case, would this knot still be a good thing to continue using on a dropweight crosses?, so far i have not had any issues with knots slipping or slipping back into the grommets, but i do want to make sure i do it right, what would you suggest

Well. I wouldn't go fixing what isn't broken. I do see an issue of slippage regardless of the machine, but if it's been working for you keep doing it. If you have a starting clamp, you should set it on the knot tail right up against the bulk of the tail during your first cross tension. This will keep the knot from back-sliding into the grommet, but allow the same stringjob results as you are used to.

Doc Hollidae
03-12-2008, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the Bulky knot instruction. I had been using a starting knot this whole time, but found that the bulky knot works better with the Ozone Pro Tour. The normal starting knot go in the way of the first cross.

YULitle
03-13-2008, 03:16 AM
I've not had the chance to string the Pro Tour yet. I know a lot of racquets have this issue, especially the many generations of Wilson pro staffs.

03-13-2008, 11:58 AM
YUlitle on your machine can you double pull both strings to set the anchor clamp??

YULitle
03-13-2008, 12:18 PM
The machine I am using ATM? yes.

03-13-2008, 12:24 PM
Wow didnt think they would fit in the tensioner.

When are you returning the machine or do you like it enough to buy one of your own (Before buying the star5)

YULitle
03-13-2008, 12:31 PM
I will return it either when I am through with it or when Matt asks for it back. And no, I don't like it well enough to get it before a Star 5. I will wait as long as it takes. :D

03-13-2008, 12:34 PM
LOL matt said hes gone to the Pacific Life Open for 1 week so you have got 1 more week with the SP Tour. Have you got any more 03 vids to shoot, if so i would so it soonish

YULitle
03-13-2008, 01:34 PM
LOL matt said hes gone to the Pacific Life Open for 1 week so you have got 1 more week with the SP Tour. Have you got any more 03 vids to shoot, if so i would so it soonish

Nope. O3s are on their way back to Matt as we speak (errr type.)

nickb
03-13-2008, 01:59 PM
I cant wait to get a babolat star machine...my current machine is great but I just love stringing on the star and sensor machines..

Nick

03-13-2008, 02:10 PM
and nick if you upgrade, ill buy your machine :)

nickb
03-13-2008, 02:11 PM
and nick if you upgrade, ill buy your machine :)

Sure...I will let you know if I ever sell it...it will prob turn into my backup machine instead of the crank I have now.

Nick

03-13-2008, 02:16 PM
the Pro's Pro pilot?

I thought that was un-usable

jamauss
03-13-2008, 02:17 PM
hey while i was stringing some racquets today I thought of some stuff you could cover in your videos.

1. A "How To" on natural gut and other 'soft' strings and how to string racquets with those kinds of strings without bruising them. How you should adjust your clamps, etc.

2. The easiest way to correct "smiley" strings after you've finished your last knot and have curved crosses in the stringbed.

3. The proper way to inspect a racquet for cracks or structural problems before mounting/stringing it.

4. The easiest way to remove strings from racquets that have the grommets that cover the strings (like on the Head Classic Mid racquet, for example).

Just some thoughts... :)
Good luck w/ the videos

YULitle
03-13-2008, 02:19 PM
jamauss: Those are good. I plan on covering some of those. I'm waiting on some tools to be delivered, then I can get going again. I'll keep these in mind when I do. :D

nickb
03-13-2008, 02:19 PM
the Pro's Pro pilot?

I thought that was un-usable

Its usable if a customer really really needed a racket doing...

Nick

03-13-2008, 02:21 PM
Its usable if a customer really really needed a racket doing...

Nick

You mean when they want a fcuked up string job on the cheap:)

nickb
03-13-2008, 02:23 PM
You mean when they want a fcuked up string job on the cheap:)

Nah..I have not had to use it yet since I got the electric and prob never will as I will be buying a new machine for backup in the next 2 weeks (a drop weight).

Nick

03-13-2008, 02:29 PM
What one? Centring one? off tenni$nut$??

nickb
03-13-2008, 02:35 PM
What one? Centring one? off tenni$nut$??

No prob a Eagnas drop weight...just something cheap....I want a stringer that I can use in hotel rooms when I start playing tournaments again.

Nick

03-13-2008, 02:38 PM
off the bay? What one you looking at?

nickb
03-13-2008, 02:39 PM
off the bay? What one you looking at?

Nothing yet...gonna start looking next week.

03-13-2008, 02:42 PM
keep us updated. Also are you going to order from PS USA again? Just wondering as i could do with some CP otherwise no worries ill just have to pay a bit more

nickb
03-13-2008, 02:43 PM
keep us updated. Also are you going to order from PS USA again? Just wondering as i could do with some CP otherwise no worries ill just have to pay a bit more

Not at the moment...I have been testing a new string that I might be investing in so need to see what happens with that..

Nick

03-13-2008, 02:44 PM
is that the gut? What string is it?

nickb
03-13-2008, 02:45 PM
is that the gut? What string is it?

I cant say anything about the type of string or name..sorry.

When I can I will let you know..

Nick

YULitle
03-13-2008, 03:42 PM
I can't help but blame myself for this hijack. :D

nickb
03-13-2008, 03:46 PM
I can't help but blame myself for this hijack. :D

Please don't hijack our convo...LOL

Great thread..just watched your new knot videos..very good for new stringers.

Nick

watermantra
03-13-2008, 03:59 PM
YUlitle, how about a "potential problems" in stringing video. Sort of a "what not to do" segment.

iplaybetter
03-13-2008, 04:05 PM
what with all the "stringjob.com" stickers

YULitle
03-13-2008, 05:24 PM
what with all the "stringjob.com" stickers

stringjob.com = me being able to make videos

stringjob.com stickers = my thanks

themitchmann
03-14-2008, 06:08 AM
Stringjob is a great site for stringers...whether you have multiple customers or only string for friends. It keeps track of different set ups, helps you create price lists, lets your customers evaluation your work and how they like particular strings, creates custom invoices and racquet labels. I decided to try them out after seeing an add in RSI magazine and I absolutely loved it. They let you try it free for 30 days and even have a thinner 18 gauge version for those with only a handful of customers. Plus, YULitle's videos are posted in the reference section.

YULitle
03-14-2008, 06:49 AM
My a fav feature is seeing typical setups. IE if someone tries NXT in their racquet, they can see typical tensions people use. The use of such data is endless. :D Not to mention priceless.

themitchmann
03-14-2008, 07:26 AM
Yeah...like I said before: HUGE FAN of STRINGJOB.

I'm glad they've "recruited" you. haha.

YULitle
03-14-2008, 07:46 AM
It's actually a funny story. Matt and I met at my last store, he knew "of" YULitle but didn't put the two together that it was me. So after he had told me about Stringjob we started talking about more videos. :D

iplaybetter
03-14-2008, 09:11 AM
stringjob.com = me being able to make videos

stringjob.com stickers = my thanks

waht to you mean by "being able to make vids" i made a 18g acount last night by the way
"istring"

YULitle
03-14-2008, 09:13 AM
The machine in the new videos was supplied by the co-creator of Stringjob.com. :D Also, the O3 racquets. :D

iplaybetter
03-14-2008, 09:14 AM
The machine in the new videos was supplied by the co-creator of Stringjob.com. :D Also, the O3 racquets. :D

nice, did you check out "istring"

YULitle
03-14-2008, 09:34 AM
nice, did you check out "istring"

I'm not sure that I know how to check that... huh.

fgzhu88
03-14-2008, 12:13 PM
hey YULitle, thanks a lot for your videos!! :)
I'm pretty much ready for my first 1 piece job except for one question:
- How do you measure the short side vs. the long side???
- and to clarify, I only need 2 total knots (both parnell) right?

YULitle
03-14-2008, 12:16 PM
hey YULitle, thanks a lot for your videos!! :)
I'm pretty much ready for my first 1 piece job except for one question:
- How do you measure the short side vs. the long side???
- and to clarify, I only need 2 total knots (both parnell) right?

You first need to know how long your short side needs to be; this depends on your racquet and can be found at klipperusa.com. Then, measure that part out. The point the divides the long and the short sides should also be the point where the mains switch from one side of the racquet to the other. So, weave your first two mains in the center, and the loop that goes around the frame, either at the throat or the head, will be the spot on the length of string that divides the long and the short side. So, one main will be on the long side, and the other main will be on the short side. From there, you are ready to start. :D

and yes, you will only need two knots. They can be a number of different knots. Parnell is one of them. :D

cujays
03-14-2008, 02:20 PM
when will there be anothe video

fgzhu88
03-14-2008, 07:22 PM
You first need to know how long your short side needs to be; this depends on your racquet and can be found at klipperusa.com. Then, measure that part out. The point the divides the long and the short sides should also be the point where the mains switch from one side of the racquet to the other. So, weave your first two mains in the center, and the loop that goes around the frame, either at the throat or the head, will be the spot on the length of string that divides the long and the short side. So, one main will be on the long side, and the other main will be on the short side. From there, you are ready to start. :D

and yes, you will only need two knots. They can be a number of different knots. Parnell is one of them. :D

sorry to bother you again, I use a POG mid (one is 4 stripes, one is 1 stripe) and on klipperusa, it only shows 17'M - 17'C, doesn't give a shortside length.
whereas I look at the Head Prestige mid pattern and it says 35' - 10'S
thanks

iplaybetter
03-14-2008, 07:24 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
watch part 1 of my video if who's a not numeric method for measuring the short side

iplaybetter
03-14-2008, 07:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT8VtJqjT24
there you are, by the way i have new one i will work on posting next friday

YULitle
03-14-2008, 07:26 PM
when will there be anothe video

I've been doing videos. I only post the ones that are new new. There should be one, hopefuly tomorrow, probably Monday. Waiting on my awl to arrive. Apparently, no one around here knows what an awl is.

sorry to bother you again, I use a POG mid (one is 4 stripes, one is 1 stripe) and on klipperusa, it only shows 17'M - 17'C, doesn't give a shortside length.
whereas I look at the Head Prestige mid pattern and it says 35' - 10'S
thanks

:D It's half the Mains. So, 9.5'. I would add half a foot just for good measure, a whole foot if you have a drop-weight.

iplaybetter
03-14-2008, 07:45 PM
I've been doing videos. I only post the ones that are new new. There should be one, hopefuly tomorrow, probably Monday. Waiting on my awl to arrive. Apparently, no one around here knows what an awl is.

:D It's half the Mains. So, 9.5'. I would add half a foot just for good measure, a whole foot if you have a drop-weight.

or you just use the frame to measure the amount like i show in my vid

YULitle
03-15-2008, 06:08 AM
or you just use the frame to measure the amount like i show in my vid

you know, that's a good way that I never got into. I've been sizing my short side the same way for a long time, and I doubt I'll change. I start doing it before I realize what I'm doing. :D

YULitle
03-15-2008, 05:27 PM
New video!

How to Replace your Bumper guard/Grommet Set
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s4bH7T9sds

It is processing, but should be up in a minute. :D Enjoy!

cujays
03-15-2008, 05:43 PM
wow that was cool
does this method work for all rackets

YULitle
03-15-2008, 05:45 PM
As far as I know it does. There are some racquet that have more than four pieces, but as long as you pay attention to how it came off you should be able to put the new one back on in the same way. :D

Zhou
03-15-2008, 05:47 PM
Great video. I might have to replace my grommets soon.

themitchmann
03-15-2008, 07:33 PM
Youtube says the grommet video is unavailable right now...

YULitle
03-15-2008, 07:40 PM
Yeah, I'm seeing that. It shows up in my list, on my channel and everything. I can't see it either. :(

YULitle
03-15-2008, 07:41 PM
Works now. :D

themitchmann
03-15-2008, 07:47 PM
Nice...thanks.

iplaybetter
03-15-2008, 08:21 PM
is that 1 of those nice kimony awls

themitchmann
03-16-2008, 05:13 AM
I saw that too. I'm jealous.

YULitle
03-16-2008, 06:29 AM
Yeah, I just got it in. :D

Hewitt Aussie
03-16-2008, 06:51 AM
Hey YULitle, i got the stringers digest for the month and it has a little article about straightening the strings. It says you could hold them while stringing like you suggest but it says it will increase the tension by around 2 to 3 pounds.

YULitle
03-16-2008, 06:58 AM
Hey YULitle, i got the stringers digest for the month and it has a little article about straightening the strings. It says you could hold them while stringing like you suggest but it says it will increase the tension by around 2 to 3 pounds.

I gotta tell you man, I physically up-heaved when I read this. It's not you. It's the article. The way it should've been written, IMO, is that NOT DOING IT would result in a 2-3 pound loss. Because there is a difference. There is a difference in poundage between straightening now or later, BUT I think that the way that we should strive to do it is straighten as we go. I can go into further details if you like, but this "tip" in the article is just going to mislead people.

Hewitt Aussie
03-16-2008, 07:04 AM
I gotta tell you man, I physically up-heaved when I read this. It's not you. It's the article. The way it should've been written, IMO, is that NOT DOING IT would result in a 2-3 pound loss. Because there is a difference. There is a difference in poundage between straightening now or later, BUT I think that the way that we should strive to do it is straighten as we go. I can go into further details if you like, but this "tip" in the article is just going to mislead people.

alright, i'll stick with your opinion. Thanks

YULitle
03-16-2008, 07:17 AM
You don't have to take my word on it. I really am against all these tension adjustment rules. People consider it for all the wrong reasons and it just confuses an already confusing process. :(

Are they suggesting that people adjust their tension accordingly?

03-16-2008, 07:28 AM
When you leave the strings as they are (un-straight) does that leave some slack in each string compared to when it was straight? Like in one of your vids where you mark the string, cant remember what one

YULitle
03-16-2008, 07:30 AM
1012007: Yes, it does leave some slack.

03-16-2008, 07:31 AM
Ok will do it from now on just very hard with a DW and flying clamps

Hewitt Aussie
03-16-2008, 07:55 AM
It Says, " ...Some stringers prefer to straighten each cross while tensioning, which can result in a slightly higher tension on the crosses. USRSA tests showed that straightening strings produced a 6% increase on electronic, continuous pull machines, and a 3% increase on spring tension machines."

03-16-2008, 08:00 AM
Is it an "increase" or is it a 3-6% more accurate?

Hewitt Aussie
03-16-2008, 08:02 AM
Is it an "increase" or is it a 3-6% more accurate?

It says in the sentence before, it will result in a higher tension in the crosses.

Loco4Tennis
03-16-2008, 08:20 AM
^ yeah, ive notised this when i straighten and i have the dropweight bar set horizontal and then straighten the line, it will lower a little(putting more tension), i've gotten in the havit of doing this now and the string bed is definately tigher at the end, then the past jobs where i waited to straighten at the end

YULitle
03-16-2008, 08:42 AM
My feeling on straightening or not is that there is an inherent benefit towards the consistency of the stringbed if you straighten as you go. Not all of the crosses are "off" the straight path at a consistent rate. but, if you straighten them, you can insure that they are. It just feels more consistent to me.

03-16-2008, 09:28 AM
^ yeah, ive notised this when i straighten and i have the dropweight bar set horizontal and then straighten the line, it will lower a little(putting more tension), i've gotten in the havit of doing this now and the string bed is definately tigher at the end, then the past jobs where i waited to straighten at the end

Do you have flying clamps on your d/w?

How do you have a free hand to straighten the strings? or do you just add the string and tension etc with just 1 hand

03-16-2008, 09:32 AM
YULitle do you think straightening the strings makes it more accurate to the real tension you have set or do you think it increases the tension that you have set?

YULitle
03-16-2008, 09:40 AM
YULitle do you think straightening the strings makes it more accurate to the real tension you have set or do you think it increases the tension that you have set?

You will never get the "actual" tension because of the friction in the crosses and the angle you pull from the grommet. Furthermore, I don't think there is value in having the tension on the string equal the tension you are pulling. I think that it is more important to pull each string equally, however off it may be from the intended tension. You can't feel 57lbs. But you can feel what 57lbs does to the strings in your racquet. And if you wish it to feel that way again, it is important to string it the same way. Because the way you string is more important than the tension in the search for consistency. I feel that straightening the strings as you go gives you a more consistent tension across the string-bed, meaning every string is pulled consistently. NOW, if, for example, you don't straighten strings as you go and you have a particular tension you use, if you want to start straightening your strings as you go THEN and ONLY THEN should you consider upping the tension 2-3 pounds. Upping the tension just for the sake of trying to get your actual and reference tensions to jive is pointless and provides no value to the string job.

iplaybetter
03-16-2008, 08:30 PM
Yeah, I just got it in. :D

thet do look pertttttyyyyyyyyyyyy

YULitle
03-18-2008, 10:58 AM
New Video

Grip build-up with a Heat-shrink sleeve (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1WVM5WKzns&fmt=18)

cujays
03-18-2008, 11:07 AM
i liked that one alot
it looks alot easier now

03-18-2008, 11:08 AM
Nice one! Keep going on your video marathan:)

itsstephenyo
03-18-2008, 11:09 AM
New Video

Grip build-up with a Heat-shrink sleeve (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1WVM5WKzns&fmt=18)

Haha, "Supermax! Con-Air..." great vid, YU!

03-18-2008, 11:14 AM
Is the sleeve easy to remove?

YULitle
03-18-2008, 11:16 AM
Is the sleeve easy to remove?

Yes. Just cut down the length of the handle and remove. :D

bagung
03-18-2008, 03:04 PM
yulitle,
what is the best way to adjust the clamps towards different guage of strings such as 15g, 16, 17g, 18g......? by experience?
and when adjusting the clamps towards 17g of gut and 17g of poly, any special attention that i should aware of...?
thanks

YULitle
03-18-2008, 03:06 PM
yulitle,
what is the best way to adjust the clamps towards different guage of strings such as 15g, 16, 17g, 18g......? by experience?
and when adjusting the clamps towards 17g of gut and 17g of poly, any special attention that i should aware of...?
thanks

Experience is best. It should be just tight enough to hold, but there is no methodical way to do so. Experience will tell you how much.

03-18-2008, 03:08 PM
YULitle do you ever adjust the clamps?

YULitle
03-18-2008, 03:18 PM
YULitle do you ever adjust the clamps?

When I need to. :D Sometimes I go a while without it. But, I am consciously aware of my clamping at the beginning to be sure that it is right. It is most important to have them set right in the beginning on the mains.

Loco4Tennis
03-19-2008, 03:02 AM
yulitle,
thanks

i have extra pieces off the strings i have used before and/or are using on that string job,
i usually test the gripping tension on thoes beofre i start, while it might not be much of a difference, afew mm change in string tickness will make the string slipp if not carefull, easy enough adjustment at the beginnning for piece of mind through the string job
mainly couse i dont like to leave exsessive marks on the string from the flying clamps i use
if your finding that the tightening of the clamps does not stopp the slippage of the string, you need to clean the clamps, has happened to me before

YULitle
03-19-2008, 08:06 AM
Updated Video - Tightening Knots
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWx3iVPZl_c&fmt=18

Better view. Also, a comment on tying the Parnell knot properly.

themitchmann
03-19-2008, 08:24 AM
Was that comment on the Parnell knot just for me...;)

thanks

YULitle
03-19-2008, 08:26 AM
Was that comment on the Parnell knot just for me...;)

thanks

It was for a lot of people. I got a lot of emails on this subject, including RP himself, and I wanted to make it right. I'd make it 1000 times over to get it right. This is it. :D

themitchmann
03-19-2008, 09:16 AM
Haha...I know you must get a lot of questions. I was just joking. Thanks again for your help.

YULitle
03-19-2008, 10:30 AM
New Video. I hope everyone is keeping up. :D

How to pass strings thru Blocked Grommets.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfG-nlb4JxU&fmt=18

I think when I first started pumping out videos, people missed some due to how quick they were coming out. I hope you all know that they are all here: http://www.youtube.com/yulitle as well. :D I hope you like this latest one. It's really hard to explain how to do it without the video.

imaginarydogs
03-19-2008, 10:48 AM
I don't see spaghetti stringing on your list. Do you think you'll do it?

Hewitt Aussie
03-19-2008, 10:54 AM
hey YULitle, that's exactly the method i use to get a string through a blocket hole.

YULitle
03-19-2008, 10:59 AM
I don't see spaghetti stringing on your list. Do you think you'll do it?

I've never seen it done, nor have I seen a good description on how it's done. If either of those happen, you can bet I'll make a video. :D

hey YULitle, that's exactly the method i use to get a string through a blocket hole.

Excellent!

03-19-2008, 01:20 PM
For me, the unblocking vid cuts out just after you have cut the string

YULitle
03-19-2008, 01:35 PM
For me, the unblocking vid cuts out just after you have cut the string

Still? (10 char.) Try lower quality. I may have to nix the whole HD idea. :(

03-19-2008, 01:54 PM
Still cuts out at low quality:)

Up to "it works 99% of the time"

nickb
03-19-2008, 01:58 PM
Working fine for me....

crappy computer?

Nick :)

YULitle
03-19-2008, 02:00 PM
Yeah, works for me. Sorry dude. What's your service speed?

03-19-2008, 02:01 PM
No lol my comp is good. ill try again. Maybe to many progs running

03-19-2008, 02:06 PM
OK got it, but what do you do if your last main goes across a cross grommet for the tie off? How can you do that, i use an alw but it takes ages and slightly damages the string when moving it up/down

YULitle
03-19-2008, 02:14 PM
OK got it, but what do you do if your last main goes across a cross grommet for the tie off? How can you do that, i use an alw but it takes ages and slightly damages the string when moving it up/down

I'm not sure what you mean. Unless you are doing an ATW pattern, your crosses won't be installed when you are tying off your mains. This method works to push string through ANY tight spot, not just that particular one.

03-19-2008, 02:16 PM
on 2 piece.

say your have tied off your mains, by going from 9t to 6t it will block some of the grommets where the crosses go later on.

themitchmann
03-19-2008, 02:40 PM

Me too. RARELY, have I ever had to use an awl. Another example of great tips from YULitle.

jim e
03-19-2008, 02:44 PM
on 2 piece.

say your have tied off your mains, by going from 9t to 6t it will block some of the grommets where the crosses go later on.

Do like yulitle shows in last video. Also where a main string blocks across a grommet hole, you can take a piece of dental floss, feed it either over or under the string blocking, and once through either lift the floss or push down on it depending if you went over or under and the floss will move the blocking string enough to place the threading string through. It also helps to use waxed dental floss. Also in drug stores there is a small flexable plastic needle with a blunt tip called a floss threader, and that helps to get the floss through, and once that is in it is easy to do the rest. If you have not tried this you will find it really does work.

Another popular method is to place an extra small piece of string into the hole ahead of time, that would help when it is time to place the threaded string through, but if that was not done, follow the video, which was excellent, or try above.Also, if you are a member of the USRSA, they have a tech. # to call and one of their technicians will help you out personally with whatever problem you may come upon (fortunatly I have not had to call myself as yet, I do hope it stays that way), they have a great amout of information that is avail. to members. Just a thought. Jim

KBlade Pro
03-19-2008, 09:32 PM
Thanks so much for the videos YULitle! I used to string with a drop weight but I wasn't very good at it and gave up on it. I wish I had access to your videos. Anyway, I just wanted to put in another vote for a video on stringing with the drop weight machines, and hints on tension consistency. Keep up the good work! :)

Hewitt Aussie
03-20-2008, 06:00 PM
hey YULitle, on my turntable, when i lock it, it is still able to be moved with force. Is it supposed to not move at all? Also, the tension arm can move, and i often notice that it has moved after stringing a racket. It moves sideways. If you want i can make a video showing you these things.

iplaybetter
03-20-2008, 06:38 PM
^^^^^^^^
tighten the bolts on the tension arm, the screw lock is only ok, a disk system is far better, just learn how to live without the lock i have yet to use mine and i have done a few O3's

YULitle
03-20-2008, 06:41 PM
hey YULitle, on my turntable, when i lock it, it is still able to be moved with force. Is it supposed to not move at all? Also, the tension arm can move, and i often notice that it has moved after stringing a racket. It moves sideways. If you want i can make a video showing you these things.

Even on the Star5 I had this issue. With enough force, the turn table will budge. I assume you are having this issue when stringing O3 racquets. I had to use both the TTLock and put my hip into it. With yours, since it's a crank, so this is a bigger issue. I wouldn't suggest over tightening, but perhaps you don't have it tight enough? If all else fails, you may have to go with a boomerang tool.

The tension arm (I assume you mean the track the tension unit ride on) will move from side to side. It's been a while since I've used a crank but I do remember that it moved a little. The screws attaching it to the table post may need to be tightened.

iplaybetter
03-20-2008, 06:47 PM
as i mentioned and then god confirmed you need to tighten the bolts that the arrows point to in this pic http://i25.tinypic.com/2mzl3lj.jpg

etea
03-20-2008, 07:37 PM
natural gut video please.

Hewitt Aussie
03-20-2008, 08:10 PM
yeah, but as the tension arm moves, the black thing moves with it. The tension arm only moves because the black thing does.

iplaybetter
03-20-2008, 08:11 PM
the black thing probably moves because the arm moves

Hewitt Aussie
03-20-2008, 08:20 PM
also on your machine when the mounting knobs are moved as far back as goes, are they all an equal amount away from the racket.

Hewitt Aussie
03-20-2008, 08:22 PM
the black thing probably moves because the arm moves
yeah, but iu don't think tightening it is gonna help.