PDA

View Full Version : prince SGO, SGD,p softflex,topspin compare

markwillplay
03-01-2008, 05:40 PM
I am looking for the softest most durable string at a fairly low price for my POG OS's. I have the PSGD in it now and that is OK, not near as smooth as the nxt that is in my other one but it dies not seem harsh really and I am definately protecting the arm. I string at about 64 and hit with a lot of topspin and serve and volley. Too many strings out there to try them all. I do want something fairly durable but lately I have not been breaking as many strings as I used to. I do like that dwell time and softness of NXT but I would rather find that cheaper alternative that is good. i have played with tech multifeel, nrg2, yada yada yada. I think the POG is friendly enough not to have to have a totally mushy string. Just want something soft taht holds up pretty well. Thanks, Mark

Valjean
03-02-2008, 04:54 AM
Babolat's Fibertour and/or its slightly firmer Syntronic Brio offer the best less expensive alternative(s) to NXT. Prince's Premier with Softflex that you list is a fine string, it's just not going to play as well as those two in your specific racquet. (Wilson's more durable NXT version, NXT Max, you seem to have ignored, I guess due to its expense, huh?.)

PSGO is a good string with a lot of pop--though if, as you say, you like to hit with topspin, s&v and don't break string often, I'd recommend Wilson's Extreme Synthetic Gut for you. It's even softer, and plays like it in thinner-beam racquets like your POG. Many people like Topspin Plus and Topspin 15L. The latter holds up better due to Duraflex being added to it, but its thicker gauge dampens it well.

2handsbothsides
03-02-2008, 05:54 AM
NXT Max is a very good suggestion. None of the synthetic guts will be soft like NXT. A 15L gut is a surprising good value for this wide open string bed. For low first cost, powerful, good control but some added softness try a hybrid of Prince Topspin Duraflex main and Alpha 2000 16 in the cross.

markwillplay
03-02-2008, 11:09 AM
what is the alpha 2000? I have never played the nxt max so that may be a suggestion I will follow. I do like a soft feel but I also know that my stick plays pretty soft anyway (plush plow through). I was researching some here and saw that it seems some people hybrid cheaper strings together. The PSGD doesn't feel bad to me really but I can definately tell a diffrence from the nxt. I don't like balls sailing on me (I guess don't want something too powerful) but I can usually bring the ball down with my stroke. Poly's are tempting but I don't want to even mess with my arm at all (those who have seen me post here know I have had surgery 10 years ago on the old elbow).
I can't figure out if the syn guts are supposed to be stiff or not. I know multies can be really soft and I suppose syn guts can be as well. I do like something that I don't have to string every week but in all fairness to the nxt, it has held on pretty good (frayed like crazy) for several hits and matches without breaking. Now however, it seems to be getting more trampoline like and causeing me to really have to rip topspin to keep the ball in. I have played with Natural gut in other frams and like it but I always heard that it was more powerful than non gut strings so I did not even want to put any in the POG. Plus, I have broken more pog strings than my other smaller headed sticks. I am open to all suggestions. Even thought about buying a reel of multifeel as I heard it lasted longer than NRG2. I have just never tried it in the POG. Figured I would look at the old prince strings.

Are you saying to get the duraflex (topspin or sungut) and cross it with a soft string like ......?

ccelis
03-02-2008, 11:20 AM
what is the alpha 2000? I have never played the nxt max so that may be a suggestion I will follow. I do like a soft feel but I also know that my stick plays pretty soft anyway (plush plow through). I was researching some here and saw that it seems some people hybrid cheaper strings together. The PSGD doesn't feel bad to me really but I can definately tell a diffrence from the nxt. I don't like balls sailing on me (I guess don't want something too powerful) but I can usually bring the ball down with my stroke. Poly's are tempting but I don't want to even mess with my arm at all (those who have seen me post here know I have had surgery 10 years ago on the old elbow).
I can't figure out if the syn guts are supposed to be stiff or not. I know multies can be really soft and I suppose syn guts can be as well. I do like something that I don't have to string every week but in all fairness to the nxt, it has held on pretty good (frayed like crazy) for several hits and matches without breaking. Now however, it seems to be getting more trampoline like and causeing me to really have to rip topspin to keep the ball in. I have played with Natural gut in other frams and like it but I always heard that it was more powerful than non gut strings so I did not even want to put any in the POG. Plus, I have broken more pog strings than my other smaller headed sticks. I am open to all suggestions. Even thought about buying a reel of multifeel as I heard it lasted longer than NRG2. I have just never tried it in the POG. Figured I would look at the old prince strings.

Are you saying to get the duraflex (topspin or sungut) and cross it with a soft string like ......?

Hi Mark
The following strings work well for me in my POG's OS (1987 Versions)

Gosen OG Sheep Micro 16 G
Yonex Tournament 80 Spin 15L
Yonex Tour Super 850 Pro 16

Nice control and very comfortable at 67lbs M, and 65lbs X's

Valjean
03-02-2008, 11:29 AM
Syn guts are typically firmer than multis due to a solid-core center--which is what Multifeel has too combined with a processed multifilament wrap, accounting for its softer (well "somewhat muffled" is what I would term it) feel. Some syn guts vary the wrap and/or coating process and will produce then a slightly softer feel, but these still do not quite achieve the softness of a multifilament. Alpha 2000 is actually what's been termed a multi-core string, sort of a half-and-half.

In addition to the syn gut strings I've already helped you on above, Ektelon's Power Play--once known as Prince's Synthetic Gut Soft--is a decidedly softer syn gut and it's only available in 16 gauge for it now, too.

Right now, though, from what you are used to and say you want to overcome too, I'd think you're best off doing NXT Max, which holds tension better, and is somewhat firmer than regular NXT too.

goosala
03-02-2008, 12:56 PM
Try Prince Syn Gut multi in the 16 gauge.

markwillplay
03-02-2008, 04:49 PM
I might try the max. What is the difference in max and OS?

Here is what I can tell you about my game and arm. I am not really afraid of the elbow per say. I am just cautious and seem to like a softer,smoth, plush feel instead of a harsh one (ffffffoop instead of toop). I serve and volley almost exlusively but I do not have flat strokes. I hit with a western (well maybe more simi western) forhand and ohbh splitting time coming over the top (a trick with the POG) and slicing. I like to move the ball around and come in when I can on defense but I also like to flaten out harder winners when I feel like it. I am a converted baseliner (got beat by too many serve and vollyers back in the day when they were nore common so I converted...never to go back). People that see me hit groundstrokes think I am a baseliner until the match starts. I don't think I hit the ball that hard but some say I do. I think I rely more on angles and spin to get in to net. I am 37 and in very good shape. Poly strings felt good to me in the beginning (ALU power) and then seemed to aggrivate my arm (felt like a board and jarred it). I went back to the pogs after a 9 month search for a stick and play with them exclusively now (yes S&V with OS...is possible). I have 2 speedport tours in storage for when I want to go with a smaller head again. I am not afraid to spend money for the right feel but don't want to throw it away either.

Valjean
03-02-2008, 07:40 PM
Max and OS hold tension better, and thus are fairly firm; you definitely wouldn't want them at the same tension as NXT. OS is the more precise string, as it comes as a 16L gauge (midway between a 16 and 17, higher being thinner) and specifically benefits the serve-and-volleyer because of this. When you mention "plush" now, you make me think of Prince's Premier with Softflex; you will have to consider it. For you, there's a trade-off to be found in all these, I'm afraid.

markwillplay
03-03-2008, 04:53 AM
thanks Val. I really appreciate the responses here. Just hard to get all this info by trial and error over a short period of time. A couple pf questions. Does the premier softflex hold tension pretty well and last OK compared to the PSGD. and, how does the PSGD compare in feel to the nxt max or OS? there is a big price difference so if they were close I would probably just go withthe PSGD. If the softflex lasts pretty good and holds tension OK, that might be a better all around fit. Make no mistake, I will try a couple of these anyway, but this really helps.