View Full Version : Luxilon Replacements

Drizzt
03-22-2004, 06:04 PM
What strings are similar to Luxilon?

Thanks for all help.

Grimjack
03-22-2004, 07:59 PM
To any Lux string in particular?

Not to jump to conclusions, but I find that when most people ask about Lux, they're asking about ALU, so till you say otherwise, I'll assume that's what you mean. (Just for the sake of convenience. If you say otherwise, it'll be a simple matter to change the answer later.)

That said, Klip K-Boom plays very similarly. It's a very lively poly (poly-based string, actually) that retains tension very well. As a bonus, it's available in a couple different gauges. I actually prefer it to ALU.

I've heard Babolat Hurricane plays similarly too, but I can't speak from first hand experience with that string, as I've never used it.

Jerry Seinfeld
03-22-2004, 08:00 PM
There are several new clones coming out. I am not a huge poly expert, but I have played with Lux BB ALU and Bab Hurricane has some similar characteristics at a slightly lower cost.

Drizzt
03-23-2004, 07:05 PM
Yea the Luxilon I meant was ALU. I was also looking at the Klip K-boom instead. How does it compare power, stiffness and abillity to create spin? Cause I use a Full western forehand and use a whole lot of top spin?

Thanks for all help

Grimjack
03-23-2004, 08:18 PM
Yea the Luxilon I meant was ALU. I was also looking at the Klip K-boom instead. How does it compare power, stiffness and abillity to create spin? Cause I use a Full western forehand and use a whole lot of top spin?

Thanks for all help

You know, it felt to me like the K-Boom was a little more lively, but I don't want to be held to that, because it was a different racquet than the ALU I tried. But the difference wasn't much, if any. And they seemed to play pretty similarly apart from that. The K-Boom seems to stay playable a bit longer, but then, I'm using it in an 18x20, whereas the ALU was in a more open pattern.

Really, both strings go firmly in that power-production niche that comes between multis and polys.

On the power scale:

Lively Multis > Crisp Multis & Syn Guts > ALU & K-Boom > Soft Polys > Stiff Polys

I originally switched to the K-Boom because I saw it was available in a true 17g, whereas the ALU was only available in a 16L. Which only goes to show I should read closer, as it turns out both are 1.25mm. Gauges differ company to company, I guess.

spinbalz
03-25-2004, 06:48 PM
Try Enduro L-Tec Pure 1.20 gauge - outstanding string, keeps its playability even longer than Lux BB alu