PDA

View Full Version : adriano panatta??

grizzly4life
03-01-2008, 08:04 PM
i've just read a bunch of tennis biographies and the one guy that 70's stars seemed in awe of talent-wise (outside obvious borg... and he was one on the guys commenting) was adriano panatta... i sure remember the name but i was too young. i remember him years later from a photo of him playing mixed doubles at a grand slam and him having an enormous gut for a professional athlete.

anyone have any insight into him other than italian and FO title??... and FWIW, the other name mentioned tons in all 70's books is ile nastase, but i'd say he's acknowledged as former star.

TNT16
03-01-2008, 09:34 PM
i've just read a bunch of tennis biographies and the one guy that 70's stars seemed in awe of talent-wise (outside obvious borg... and he was one on the guys commenting) was adriano panatta... i sure remember the name but i was too young. i remember him years later from a photo of him playing mixed doubles at a grand slam and him having an enormous gut for a professional athlete.

anyone have any insight into him other than italian and FO title??... and FWIW, the other name mentioned tons in all 70's books is ile nastase, but i'd say he's acknowledged as former star.

Panatta's gut . . . age sure is a bummer:

http://www.sporting-heroes.net/files_tennis/PANATTA_A_1976_EL_R.jpg

Also he is best known for being the only one of beating the Nadal of his day (Borg) at the FO . . . that was a big thing.

Mentioning him in the same breath with Nastase is actually almost appropriate - they both had a certain flair and style to their game.

TNT16
03-01-2008, 09:45 PM

You may have already checked these

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adriano_Panatta

http://www.daviscup.com/teams/player.asp?player=10002304

http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/players/playerprofiles/?playernumber=P059

http://sporting-heroes.net/tennis-heroes/displayhero.asp?HeroID=582

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=125788#post1347820

Kirko
03-01-2008, 09:48 PM
Mentioning him in the same breath with Nastase is actually almost appropriate - they both had a certain flair and style to their game.

_skunk_
03-02-2008, 02:15 AM
Great talent, I do remember him very well, nice serve and volley player but he was mostly playing on clay.
One of the few players Borg was worried to find on his way on clay, if i'm not wrong he's won against Borg 2 times at the French open.
Panatta anyhow when he was a player wasn't really able to commit himself, he was liking too much food, girls and nightclubs, and the was not training at all.
Nastase Vilas and Panatta were good friends, and one day Nastase said that if Panatta would have trained at least half of the time Vilas was doing would have been constantly in the top 10 for several years.
Panatta is still remembered in Italy as the best ever italian tennis player together with Nicola Pietrangeli

urban
03-02-2008, 06:54 AM
Ate too much pasta, like his buddy Bertolucci. Was a womens dream, and extremely popular in Europe, a bit like Henri Leconte later. Neede crowd support for inspiration, but when at his best, was dangerous for all comers. Had a wonderful match with Connors at USO 1978. Won both Rome and RG in 1976, saving over 12 match points in both opening rounds. Invented the goalie jump at the net, often landing flat on his face. Came to the net often, but, surprisingly, never was a factor on grass at Wimbledon.

slice bh compliment
03-02-2008, 06:58 AM
I always loved Panatta. Gifted athlete. Met him once through his little brother, Claudio. Both were very smooth on the court.

In terms of looks and game, I think if Ilie Nastase and Henri Leconte had two babies, they would look like the Panatta brothers.

TNT16
03-02-2008, 09:26 AM
In terms of looks and game, I think if Ilie Nastase and Henri Leconte had two babies, they would look like the Panatta brothers.

Not sure if I would go that far (LOL!!!) but the three names definitely belong in the same category in terms of game and looks.

hoodjem
03-02-2008, 09:56 AM
I always thought of Panatta as a gifted clay-courter with talent to spare, and maybe similar in looks to Nastase, but not nearly the cheating jerk psycho that "Nasty" was.

grizzly4life
03-02-2008, 09:57 AM
thanks for all the great responses!!!

TNT16
03-02-2008, 10:22 AM
I always thought of Panatta as a gifted clay-courter with talent to spare, and maybe similar in looks to Nastase, but not nearly the cheating jerk psycho that "Nasty" was.

I don't think anyone meant to imply that Panatta displayed Nasty's psychotic antics (which were a very unfortunate limiting factor in his career given his incredible talent).

ricomon
03-02-2008, 11:31 AM
I once saw them team up to play doubles at the old Jack Kramer Open when it was played at Los Caballeros in Fountain Valley. Talk about a shot making clinic.

El Diablo
03-02-2008, 11:39 AM
I spent a week once in Montacatini, Italy and played at Panatta's home club, a gorgeous facility in the park with about 10 clay courts. The place dated to the 1920s and had been used for some of Italy's Davis Cup matches. Everyone there spoke very fondly of him, described him as a warm and gregarious guy.

julian
03-02-2008, 12:15 PM
Great talent, I do remember him very well, nice serve and volley player but he was mostly playing on clay.
One of the few players Borg was worried to find on his way on clay, if i'm not wrong he's won against Borg 2 times at the French open.
Panatta anyhow when he was a player wasn't really able to commit himself, he was liking too much food, girls and nightclubs, and the was not training at all.
Nastase Vilas and Panatta were good friends, and one day Nastase said that if Panatta would have trained at least half of the time Vilas was doing would have been constantly in the top 10 for several years.
Panatta is still remembered in Italy as the best ever italian tennis player together with Nicola Pietrangeli

Everybody likes food, girls and nightclubs :)

noeledmonds
03-03-2008, 04:24 AM
Panatta was a unique tallent in my opnion. A clay court specilist with a flamboyant game style who often serve and vollyed is not something you see very often. The only player ever to beat Borg at the French Open and he beat him twice.

urban
03-03-2008, 05:52 AM
Speaking of girls, beaches and fast vehicles. I think, he is a speed boat racer today.

_skunk_
03-03-2008, 06:29 AM
Speaking of girls, beaches and fast vehicles. I think, he is a speed boat racer today.

Not anymore, used to be, now he's involved in politics in Rome's province council.

altodds
03-03-2008, 06:40 AM
Panatta is one of my fav, with Borg, Vilas.
I really love his form in every strokes, so smooth. He volleys well too.

jaggy
03-03-2008, 08:19 AM
Ate too much pasta, like his buddy Bertolucci. Was a womens dream, and extremely popular in Europe, a bit like Henri Leconte later. Neede crowd support for inspiration, but when at his best, was dangerous for all comers. Had a wonderful match with Connors at USO 1978. Won both Rome and RG in 1976, saving over 12 match points in both opening rounds. Invented the goalie jump at the net, often landing flat on his face. Came to the net often, but, surprisingly, never was a factor on grass at Wimbledon.

I remember at Wimbledon lots of Italians being very noisy watching him.

slice bh compliment
03-03-2008, 08:20 AM
I remember at Wimbledon lots of Italians being very noisy watching him.

Italians? Noisy? Really?

Captain Haddock
03-06-2008, 04:44 PM
Panatta played all of his strokes with an eastern backhand grip! On the forehand, he had to turn his wrist completely to open the racquet face. The complete opposite of modern technique. It was all touch: catch and release. Michael Stich had a similar forehand, but with a more neutral grip.

Tennis old man
03-12-2008, 09:22 AM
Great player, caly court master...

jaggy
03-13-2008, 08:06 AM
Italians? Noisy? Really?

And after it Im sure they all went home and ate pasta and got involved in football corruption....vbg:twisted:

Tshooter
04-04-2008, 09:45 PM
I put him up with Nastase and JMac for stylish play. Like a male version of Goolagong. An easy and graceful game. His match against Connors at the '78 Open was a memorable one for me. The guy beat Borg at the French. Which gives you an idea how good he was.

slice bh compliment
04-05-2008, 04:02 AM
I put him up with Nastase and JMac for stylish play. Like a male version of Goolagong. An easy and graceful game. ...

Nice! That's how I remember his tennis as well.
Well put.

kiki
03-20-2011, 08:24 AM
Flawless, fluent ground strokes, capable to make unbelievable drop shots, efortless but big serve... and one of the greatest touch volleys ever.Beat every other great player of his generation, and has one of the best DC record in tennis history.But, yes, he loved too much dolce vita, so he barely motivated himself to play, other than Rome,Roland Garros,Davis Cup and Barcelona ( where he was much more popular than most of spanish players and his matches were followed by thousands).

A true great charachter of one of the best, if not the absolute best, era of tennis with loads of great personalities, on and off the court.And, with his indolence and flasy looks, a women´s dream.

borg number one
03-20-2011, 08:54 AM
Here is some footage of Borg in Sweden, including Borg-Panatta in about 1974, when Borg was about 18. Later footage is from 1975 and 1979.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7tJ13uCFdc

hoodjem
03-20-2011, 09:42 AM
Panatta's gut . . . age sure is a bummer:

http://www.sporting-heroes.net/files_tennis/PANATTA_A_1976_EL_R.jpg

Also he is best known for being the only one of beating the Nadal of his day (Borg) at the FO . . . that was a big thing.

Mentioning him in the same breath with Nastase is actually almost appropriate - they both had a certain flair and style to their game. After your pro tennis career is over, it's hard to stay slim in Italy, with all the great food and wine everywhere.

urban
03-20-2011, 10:49 AM
And don't forget bunga bunga.

kiki
03-20-2011, 10:57 AM
Is bunga bunga related a major Kournikova talent ?

urban
03-20-2011, 11:05 AM
It has more to do with some specific paid talents for Berlusconi.

kiki
03-20-2011, 11:07 AM
It has more to do with some specific paid talents for Berlusconi.

ooooohhh¡ I see.You´re probably talking about the great AC Milan soccer team of the early 90´s...

Tmano
03-20-2011, 11:40 AM

Hi grizzly4life, since I have been on this forum I believe you are the fist one who mentioned Panatta. I was going to post a topic about him a while a go yet it would have been too easy because I'm Italian. The actual picture of my avatar is Panatta. As major tournaments he won the french open and Rome once and some more less important in Europe. I believe ranked in the top 10 for little and achieved quite a few important finals. Also a pretty good doubles player. I don't know much about his life style because I was a kid when he was still playing with his fellows but from what I have heard he did not totally commit to tennis.

Tmano
03-20-2011, 11:47 AM
Italians? Noisy? Really?

Don't make me comment on people's manner spending vacation in Italy.

hoodjem
03-21-2011, 08:02 AM
I believe Panatta was brought up to be an S&V player on clay.

slice bh compliment
03-21-2011, 08:33 AM
Don't make me comment on people's manner spending vacation in Italy.

Come on, tell us about your vacation there. I've been there, too. It's a huge, diverse country. Some of the stereotypes are solid. Others are a little off. It's good to share.

FiveO
03-21-2011, 08:48 AM
I had posted this in another thread where Panatta's name came up. Good read:

http://www.travelsandstories.com/custom/interview_panatta.html

Tmano
03-21-2011, 09:26 AM
Come on, tell us about your vacation there. I've been there, too. It's a huge, diverse country. Some of the stereotypes are solid. Others are a little off. It's good to share.

Well I'm 100% Italian. I moved to Us a couple of years ago when my wife who's American had to come here to take care of some stuff.
Which places did you visited in Italy.

slice bh compliment
03-21-2011, 09:39 AM
Well I'm 100% Italian. I moved to Us a couple of years ago when my wife who's American had to come here to take care of some stuff.
Which places did you visited in Italy.

Well of course Roma e Milano. In the north near the Swiss border - Ticino. Monte-something, too. Montebelluna was it?

In the south, Napoli and Calabria. Never made it to Siclia, though that would be cool to play in Catania or Siracusa...Palermo, etc.

I got to play in some smaller cities, too..and got housing at times. Got to learn the language a liittle bit, and really enjoyed your homeland (north and also south).

My wife raves about Firenze and Venezia. She's been there with her parents.

Tmano
03-21-2011, 10:06 AM
Well of course Roma e Milano. In the north near the Swiss border - Ticino. Monte-something, too. Montebelluna was it?

In the south, Napoli and Calabria. Never made it to Siclia, though that would be cool to play in Catania or Siracusa...Palermo, etc.

I got to play in some smaller cities, too..and got housing at times. Got to learn the language a liittle bit, and really enjoyed your homeland (north and also south).

My wife raves about Firenze and Venezia. She's been there with her parents.

Maybe monter Baldo or Biaonco? not sure.....anyway where you there playing tennis?my home town is Modena located in the center nothern part of Italy...pretty close to see and mountains. north and suoth Italy are quite different, probably you noticed that the people who live on the norther part side are less frindly. I lived in Florence for about one year with my wife and it was just great. I went to south a cuople of times not more but I really wish I would had visited many more places..to may to list...maybe when I go back:)

Tshooter
03-23-2011, 09:08 PM
"Panatta played all of his strokes with an eastern backhand grip! "

I saw A. Panatta play live many times (the USO match against Connors, '78 I think, was memorable) going back to Forest Hills. Alan King used to be chatty with Panatta; I specifically remember that.

Panatta was one of those players I really enjoyed along with Nastase and Jmac probably my three favorites to watch. Anyway, I'm not going to die on the sword because it's been decades but I do not think you are correct. I believe his forehand was continental though I do recall the backhand as Eastern, at least when he was not slicing it.

Maybe someone can dig up some photo evidence and we can get to the bottom of this.

kiki
03-24-2011, 03:42 PM
"Panatta played all of his strokes with an eastern backhand grip! "

I saw A. Panatta play live many times (the USO match against Connors, '78 I think, was memorable) going back to Forest Hills. Alan King used to be chatty with Panatta; I specifically remember that.

Panatta was one of those players I really enjoyed along with Nastase and Jmac probably my three favorites to watch. Anyway, I'm not going to die on the sword because it's been decades but I do not think you are correct. I believe his forehand was continental though I do recall the backhand as Eastern, at least when he was not slicing it.

Maybe someone can dig up some photo evidence and we can get to the bottom of this.

You´re right, it´s only he just sliced so much the FH from the baseline.

kishnabe
05-16-2011, 08:40 AM
http://www.travelsandstories.com/custom/interview_panatta.html

This interview is interesting....sorry for bump this up! Didn't want to make a new thread!!

kiki
09-14-2013, 08:33 AM

He attended the 1979 QF.Dupre was playing greatly that year.