PDA

View Full Version : First Impressions RDX-500s + 1...

TripleB
12-28-2004, 05:02 AM
I had a chance to hit with my newest set of demos last night: RDX-500 Mid, RDX-500 Midplus, RDX-500 HD Midplus, and Babolat Pure Control.

Initial Impressions (please make note that this is after only a total of about 3 hours and in 28 degree weather):

Babolat Pure Control: third favorite of the four; someone here described this racquet perfectly - it feels like the strings are disconnected from the racquet - racquet stiff, Woofer tries to make if a softer ride - two don't mesh well for me; nice spin potential; fantastic on serves; lacks "whipability" on groundies; nice slice as long as I stay low; volleyed well but still has a strange feel to it; not what I'm looking for.

Yonex RDX-500 HD Midplus: my least favorite; felt very stiff (could have been the 28 degree weather but the other two RDXs didn't feel this stiff); lacked feel; 16x19 RDX-500 Midplus much better in every category (even control); volleys lacked feel or touch because of the stiff feel; power seemed about equal to the Mid.

RDX-500 Mid: tied for first in the group; fantastic control; amazing touch at net; superior placement on serve (several aces just from placement); great "whipability" on groundstrokes - my crosscourt forehand (never a shot I've had) was amazing - incredible angles; nice slice - a little harder to work for than I thought it would be; excellent topspin; more power there than people give it credit for - although power seemed very inconsistent (heavy topspin landed way short and some flat balls flew way deep); wonderful touch and feel at net (power at the baseline didn't seem to come to net with it); would love to know what it plays like with my poly/syn gut hybrid in it.

RDX-500 Midplus: tied for first in the group; amazing topspin; reminded me of the nCode nSix-One 95 in a much more maneuverable package; reminded me also of the Volkl Tour 10 V-Engine Midplus but with more control and a little less power; super control for a 98 sq. inch racquet - almost equal to that of the Mid but gives you better putaway power; could take the ball on the rise very easily and put it where I wanted (same with Mid); great slice that really had a wonderful amount of bite on it; volleys were solid but seemed to fly on me at time; touch wasn't as good as with the Mid; might be a POG Mid replacement - especially with a Luxilon/Prince Syn Gut hybrid in it.

I'll try to give a more in depth review once I've got a lot more time under my belt with each racquet (in warmer weather - going out today, supposed to be all the way up to 45 degrees) and after comparing them to my POG mid.

TripleB

b.
12-28-2004, 07:50 AM
RDX is pleasurable stick, isn't it?

Racquet generation shift is on horizon! :)

Coria
12-28-2004, 08:08 AM
Triple B, what is your thinking comparing the RDX MP to the LM Prestige MP. Do you like the LM Prestige MP? Likes, dislikes? Thanks a bunch.

ferrari_827
12-29-2004, 05:10 AM
TripleB, I'm surprised that any of these rackets played well in 28 degree weather. The cold reduces playability by at least 40%, although this is mostly due to the strings. So if the RDX500 feels good in the cold, just wait till it warms up and you'll be surprised (in a good way).