PDA

View Full Version : TT Warrior MP. recommend another racquet

almerickso
03-02-2008, 05:04 AM
Hi guys,

I've been using the TT Warrior for a while now, i'm thinking of getting another racquet with slightly more power (same or better feel and spin potential)...

any ideas? i was thinking of the o3 white but i'm not very sure if i'll like the feel of O ports...

any input is much appreciated:)

iradical18
03-02-2008, 07:42 AM
I would definitely give the O3 series a try, I never thought I could go for them but I fell in love with the Speedport Black after I demoed it on a whim. If you can, demo the different setups (i.e string holes and speed ports) to see which one you like best.

The_Punisher
03-02-2008, 07:56 AM
go for the speedport tour. its really nice. you might run into a few problems with feel (prince really needs to do something about that), but it has a nice blend of power and control. the power is similar the TT warrior oversize, if you've ever hit with it.

1337Kira
03-02-2008, 04:58 PM
Try either the Speedport Black or the Speedport Tour (as Punisher recommended) since you can use the String ports for a more "typical" feel.
I happen to like the O ports, you can actually feel the swing speed increase! =O

iLose
03-02-2008, 05:54 PM
Pure Drive, Almost same specs to a T! I have used them both and the Pure Drive is just head over heels better IMO.

almerickso
03-03-2008, 01:35 AM
thanks for the input guys.

i might give the speedport tour a try but any other non o3 recommendations?

i've tried the pure drive and i ddnt really like the stiff hollow feeling...

jasonchu
03-03-2008, 04:35 PM
Ok...

I have to think about the heritage of the TT Warrior to answer this one...

Patrick Rafter influence:

Graphite II became the
Precision became the
TT Warrior
seems to me you'd go with the

O3 TOUR MidPlus
or the
Diablo MidPlus

If you want more power from either, go for the OVERSIZE (OS)

IMHO

to get the same feel as the TT Warrior MP

Fee
03-03-2008, 04:39 PM
This is a dilemma for me as well, so more recommendations would be appreciated. I play with the TT warrior, in my 'run to the net and finish points (poorly) lame S n V style.' I tried the Original O3 red, but started to feel a little bit of arm soreness as my demo time ended. I can generate something close to power on my own, I'm more concerned with control, especially on my volleys. What do you think?

jasonchu
03-03-2008, 04:58 PM
This is a dilemma for me as well, so more recommendations would be appreciated. I play with the TT warrior, in my 'run to the net and finish points (poorly) lame S n V style.' I tried the Original O3 red, but started to feel a little bit of arm soreness as my demo time ended. I can generate something close to power on my own, I'm more concerned with control, especially on my volleys. What do you think?

see below for some recommendations based on the heritage of the TT Warrior. Good luck.

hoosierbr
03-03-2008, 08:55 PM
I'd suggest sticking w/the Warrior and playing with strings and tension first. The Warrior certainly isn't underpowered. As long as it's cheap why switch?

There's nothing quite like it and I've tried other Prince frames to be certain once they run out of Warriors. The O3 White is nice but much too powerful nor does it have the feel of the Warrior but then again none of the O3 racquets do. The Speedport Tour is nice, as close to the Warrior as you're likely to get with this next generation technology. Waiting to try the SP White.

Fee
03-03-2008, 09:08 PM
go with the diablo mid

So replace a discontinued racquet with another discontinued racquet? I was actually looking for a current model, it does not have to be a Prince.

I'd suggest sticking w/the Warrior and playing with strings and tension first. The Warrior certainly isn't underpowered. As long as it's cheap why switch?

There's nothing quite like it and I've tried other Prince frames to be certain once they run out of Warriors. The O3 White is nice but much too powerful nor does it have the feel of the Warrior but then again none of the O3 racquets do. The Speedport Tour is nice, as close to the Warrior as you're likely to get with this next generation technology. Waiting to try the SP White.

I think that's part of the reason I've been so hesitant to switch, nothing has really wowed me. Just as I was beginning to like the O3 Red, my arm started to hurt and I went back to my Warrior with no problem. I'll definitely talk to my coach about different string set ups in the meantime, but there is a part of me that wants a shiny new toy. But if I'm putting down $200+, it has to be the perfect shiny new toy.

hoosierbr
03-03-2008, 09:19 PM
I think that's part of the reason I've been so hesitant to switch, nothing has really wowed me. Just as I was beginning to like the O3 Red, my arm started to hurt and I went back to my Warrior with no problem. I'll definitely talk to my coach about different string set ups in the meantime, but there is a part of me that wants a shiny new toy. But if I'm putting down $200+, it has to be the perfect shiny new toy.

Can I ask what kind of string/tension do you use now?

Re the O3 Red, I've never hit it but judging by its specs, if it plays to them, your arm is going to hurt b/c it's pretty stiff. The Warrior's flex is 67 but that doesn't really take into account the fact that the upper hoop, where you'd hit serves and some volleys, is pretty flexy. Part of the reason the the Warrior isn't much of a weapon on groundstrokes, spinny frame with little impact. (The flex of the upper hoop is the longtime gripe about the Volkl C10 Pro, which I love.) I'd judge the actual flex of the Warrior at 64/65, right where the O3 White is. Plus the Red is a little longer so perhaps that threw off your timing.

In terms of specs the Speedport Tour would be a Warrior with a leather grip added, more weight and more headlight. Not sure what weight/balance you're comfortable with. The O3 White is really a fine racquet, comfortable and serves and volleys well. I'm a serve-and-volleyer so that's what I pay attention to with racquets but it's got too much punch. Again, waiting to hit the SP White.

jasonchu
03-03-2008, 10:21 PM
So replace a discontinued racquet with another discontinued racquet? I was actually looking for a current model, it does not have to be a Prince.

I had not heard the Diablo was discontinued as I know people who just bought theirs and a whole dozen were just brought in by the Prince rep to my local club pro shop where he is also a member. But frankly, I don't doubt you are correct. I personally gave up on Prince after I hung up my own Graphite II's and TT Warrior Mid in 2003. Their new system of naming racquets was just too confusing for me, and it didnt hurt that I got a great deal from the Babolat rep to change my stick.

I do know there were 2 series of Diablo (one with a more glossy paint job and one more matte looking) -- I think the matte one was discontinued, but heard that they play similarly. I guess for me if a racquet is still available for purchase, and it works for you, go with it.

THE DIABLO OS (OVERSIZE WHICH HAS MORE POWER) IS READILY AVAILABLE at: http://tinyurl.com/37vss6

Fee, if I understood ALMERICKSO'S question ... he/she wanted to know what racquets would be good for someone who used the Warrior .... And since the Diablo is still AVAILABLE .... it would be a good stick for the next 2-4 years given average wear/tear at a lower price.

I also recommended THE o3 TOUR below ... it's a great stick and not discontinued.

AS FOR THE WARRIOR if you want to stick with it ... IT IS ALSO STILL AVAILABLE AT:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/OrderProduct.html?PCODE=TTW

very inexpensive ... and if you can beat your opponents at a low cost (2 discontinued racquets for the price of 1 current one) ...
go for it!

My opinion only ....

[end]

almerickso
03-04-2008, 01:05 AM
the tour diablo midplus has a prince power rating of 675... thats lower than the tt warriors 800...

i was looking for something with a bit more power with the same feel and spin generation...

i dont think the diablo fits the frist criterion tho im pretty sure if feels great both at the baseline and at the net...

fuzz nation
03-04-2008, 05:23 AM
I'd recommend a look at the NXG midplus over the Diablo mp - the NXG just brings more to the ball. It has a little heft, but it's nicely headlight and it can whup some evil spin on the ball when you want it to.

almerickso
03-04-2008, 05:52 AM
i just got an o3 white today... bought it second hand newly strung with xtra dynamic biphase with hard grommets 55 all around...

not my prefered string choice and tension but hey it was a good buy from a person who suddenly changed his mind about the racquet...

hit with it for a while and i found that some shots i expected to go in were a bit long...

just had to adjust my swing a bit to give it more spin... and its all right... my casual strokes became rather penetrating and were landing close to the baseline...

i was hitting in the dark so its not yet a full test... will give it a good hitting over the weekend...

but yes... the feel is almost close to nothing even with the tfibre string and hard grommet...

will change the grip to gamma leather and restring it with a full job isospeed baseline spin to set it up like my tt warrior... will get back to you guys with the results this weekend :)

jasonchu
03-04-2008, 11:01 PM
the tour diablo midplus has a prince power rating of 675... thats lower than the tt warriors 800...

i was looking for something with a bit more power with the same feel and spin generation...

i dont think the diablo fits the frist criterion tho im pretty sure if feels great both at the baseline and at the net...

as stated below, go with the OS for more power. Good luck with the O3White.
you might want some head tape at 3/9 if you feel you need more mass to match your warrior.

jasonchu
03-04-2008, 11:03 PM
I'd recommend a look at the NXG midplus over the Diablo mp - the NXG just brings more to the ball. It has a little heft, but it's nicely headlight and it can whup some evil spin on the ball when you want it to.

The NXG is also a good racquet. in the end try a few! good luck!

vndesu
03-04-2008, 11:04 PM
try the ag300, pure storm tour or standard.
just go out a demo.

scotus
03-05-2008, 10:41 AM
I tried TT Warrior after I got tennis elbow from using poly strings. TT Warrior was too light for me, so I used it with a lot of lead on the hoops and handle. I didn't think the racquet any special.

I went to Voelkl C10 Pro Tour and then to DNX 10 MP. Both of them hurt my wrist for some reason.

Tried Yonex RDS 003. Too light, didn't like the feel.

Then ProKennex. I hit with both Ki 5 and 7G.

I settled down with 7G and have been very happy ever since. Very, very comfortable and plays exceptionally well. Great for my S&V game and awesome from the baseline as well. A terrific frame. If you don't like the extra 1/2 inch, try the 5G.

Fee
03-05-2008, 11:27 AM
Well, now I'm very confused.

I am not going to buy more Warriors because I think there is a better racquet out there for me, I don't care how cheap they are. My coach strings it for me and unfortunately he forgot to put a sticker on it last time, but I think he usually uses Gamma Nylon (17?) and strings it at 58 pounds. That may not be even close to correct.

The O3 I demoed was strung with the hybrid mix, pretty sure it was Prince strings, and it was strung for control, I think around 58 pounds as well.

I feel like I can generate enough power on my own, my main concern is control. The first time I demoed an O3 was at the TW court at Indian Wells and every shot went crazy. I only tried it again because I got into a conversation with Scott McCain and he offered to set it up for me in a way I might prefer. I think the arm pain might have come from the fact that the grip was the wrong size because I can really feel the difference between a 3/8 and the 1/4 that I use. The arm pain was at the end of my demo time, not the beginning and I know some people felt arm pain with the O3 red almost immediately.

Thanks for the input on racquets, looks like I will have lots to try when I start playing again. :)

hoosierbr
03-05-2008, 11:43 AM
Though I've yet to hit the White I have hit the Speedport Black and Tour, both good racquets and the SP series seems to have more an emphasis on control than the O3 series. The specs are similar so I'd suggest you take the SP White for a spin.

Gundam
03-05-2008, 12:01 PM
Hi guys,

I've been using the TT Warrior for a while now, i'm thinking of getting another racquet with slightly more power (same or better feel and spin potential)...

any ideas? i was thinking of the o3 white but i'm not very sure if i'll like the feel of O ports...

any input is much appreciated:)

How about POG OS if you liked TT warrior? Greatest spin potential, better feel, arm safety, and power? I found it provides enough power (well controlled power it is).

1337Kira
03-05-2008, 03:56 PM
Well, now I'm very confused.

I am not going to buy more Warriors because I think there is a better racquet out there for me, I don't care how cheap they are. My coach strings it for me and unfortunately he forgot to put a sticker on it last time, but I think he usually uses Gamma Nylon (17?) and strings it at 58 pounds. That may not be even close to correct.

The O3 I demoed was strung with the hybrid mix, pretty sure it was Prince strings, and it was strung for control, I think around 58 pounds as well.

I feel like I can generate enough power on my own, my main concern is control. The first time I demoed an O3 was at the TW court at Indian Wells and every shot went crazy. I only tried it again because I got into a conversation with Scott McCain and he offered to set it up for me in a way I might prefer. I think the arm pain might have come from the fact that the grip was the wrong size because I can really feel the difference between a 3/8 and the 1/4 that I use. The arm pain was at the end of my demo time, not the beginning and I know some people felt arm pain with the O3 red almost immediately.

Thanks for the input on racquets, looks like I will have lots to try when I start playing again. :)

Perhaps the O3 ports are another reason why your shots went crazy.
The first time I used an O3, I was missing shots that I typically wouldn't. But after I adjusted to the swing speed, things were smooth sailing. Some people don't like the ports though...

almerickso
03-12-2008, 06:59 PM
anyways just an update.

strung my o3 white similarly to my tt warrior, with isospeed baseline spin, and it was almost identical at the baseline. but shots just have a lot more depth. the O ports do make the racquet faster to swing so you have to do a little timing adjust... just a little...

spin is similar on the same stroke but if you swing harder and give more brush, you can generate a very annoyingly loopy ball. (my hitting partner isnt very tall)

i liked the added pop i was getting, if you want it to give the exact same pop as the tt warrior, i would suggest an increase in tension of about 3-5lbs

the feeling is close, with a full poly and hard grommets. but makes the setup more comfortable... slices give almost the same amount of feel as well.

over all its a good switch for me cuz i was looking for a bit more pop from the tt warrior. i haven't tried volleying on it yet tho... but volley's arent my strong side so i dont think i'll be able to give a fair review on that.

if people were to nit pick, i think generally the racquets are identical to me cuz i hit towards the top. the extra flex of the tt warrior in that area might mirror the effect of the Oports near the top of the string bed as well...

hope this helps :)