PDA

View Full Version : Multiple overgrips reducing racquet control?

spinning09
03-02-2008, 10:26 AM
The other day at my practice a guy on my team told me that having multiple overgrips on a racquet reduces control. Right now I use a Pure Drive Roddick that has a 4 1/4 grip but I put 2 overgrips on it to make it about a 4 1/2, my size. The reason I bought it smaller was because I got a large discount on it. Are these extra overgrips really hurting my control?

35ft6
03-02-2008, 10:42 AM
^ He might be right. I've actually wondered about this myself. My racket came with a rubbery grip, and then I put a sweat absorbing overgrip over THAT, and I'm wondering if I'd be better off putting a leather grip on it. I mean a leather grip and then a Tournagrip over that. I feel like all that soft cushy stuff is cutting off "communications" with my racket, I get less feedback from the frame, everything is being absorbed by all that softness.

m1stuhxsp4rk5
03-02-2008, 11:01 AM
im not sure about control but feel it would really screw you up. once i had a racket with a grip that was to small so i put a bunch of overgrips on it i lost all feel from my racket i couldnt backhand forehand was ok but i could not hit a backhand right. like the guy above to many over grips will cut off feedback from the racket

dacrymn
03-02-2008, 11:24 AM
I don't see the connection here. It would feel different once you switched, but after it feels normal, it should change how you swing the racket normally.

Mansewerz
03-02-2008, 11:30 AM
It might be, i'm not sure though. The thing about adding overgrip is that compresses over time so it still won't be exactly the grip that you need it to be.

Serve n' Volley
03-02-2008, 11:30 AM
I use a racquet with 2 overgrips on the bare handle...doesn't make me lose any control.

madmanfool
03-02-2008, 11:55 AM
i use a racquet with a regular grip and 2 overgrips on top of that. The idea that it would reduce control hasn't even pasted my mind until i saw this thread. So i doubt it.

meowmix
03-02-2008, 12:59 PM
I severely doubt that having an overgrip on would make you lose control. That's like saying putting some lead on the racket'll make you lose control. All the overgrip acts as is another ayer of cushoining between you and the racket. Control will not be affected. Feedback might, but control? No!

Anton
03-02-2008, 01:41 PM
Two ovegrips will round off the handle, making it tougher to find the proper hand positioning.

One of the reasons a lot of people specifically use leather to get more pronounced corners.

jelle v
03-02-2008, 01:49 PM
I disagree.. but I am a player that uses 2 wilson pro overgrips.. they are pretty thin overgrips and I put the first overgrip on very tight, so the shape of the handle doesn't get all roundy.. then I put the second overgrip on normally. All in all, it creates a 4 3/8 grip for my feel. I prefer 2 overgrips, because of the softer feel.

Pro Staff Pete
03-02-2008, 02:04 PM
When the grip gets too roundy, it will...

KBlade Pro
03-02-2008, 07:48 PM
I used to train with a pro who would put 4-5 over grips on top of his 4 5/8 grip. He loved his massive grip, and had no problem painting the lines. I don't think it should be a problem if they're put on correctly.

Ross K
03-02-2008, 09:48 PM
Funny. I had this arise just recently in debate. I always thought that getting a grip size quite a lot smaller and building up with overgrips was fine - what you positively don't want is a grip that's too large. And furthermore, as the likes of Fed and Nadal are reputed to believe, getting grips on the smaller size enhances your topspin and w. wiping capacity. However, I also understand that some ppl are of the view that the bigger grip sizes really do assist in frame stability. Plus I can see that placing loads of grips on will just leave you with a horrible clumpy grip with no feel whatsoever. TBH, in the past though, not only have I used grip sizes that are pretty small for me, I haven't even built them up, and I wasn't aware of a problem... hmmm... interesting issue, and I'm not 100 per cent sure if there's a correct answer.

YULitle
03-03-2008, 03:25 AM
The answer is yes, Adding over grips increases the chance of the racquet twisting independently from the top surface of the handle. When this happens, you're angle of deflection will be off from that of what you are used to. It's like trying use your keys with big snow gloves on. The padding between you and what you are trying to manipulate keeps you from feeling where the object really is, even though it's right there in your hand.

There is no doubt that this is true.
BUT, will two or even three over grips give you this result? I, personally, doubt it. One would have to add many many over grips to see this happen.

The real issue, in my mind, is what has already been mentioned, and that's loss of feedback. But, to each their own.

FH2FH
03-03-2008, 06:37 AM
I think so, but not because of twisting. It's feel and if you're not use to it, yes, you could lose control. I use only one overgrip b/c I like to feel exactly where the bevels are. That would cause comfort issues though for most people though. I have to put extra lead in the handle to compensate for lost weight and change in balance. rough weights: og=6g, leather=20s, normal=14g, heat shrink=14?. Something to think about...