PDA

View Full Version : Stringing for power?

maddog2020
03-02-2008, 12:30 PM
Ok - longish history here, but it may help.

I am a 4.5 player with pretty full strokes. I've been using the various prostaff classic variants for years, PS classic, Hyper Carbon 6.1 95, n6.1 95 and K 6.1 95. Recently (having turned 40) I've been finding that my arm gets tired pretty quickly serving with these sticks, so I wanted to move to something lighter. My first attempt was the K-Blade Tour (I felt that it would be close to the 6.1). I LOVE the feel of this stick when I'm fresh, but again my arm got tired too quickly and it became harder to hit with. So now I've switched to the K-Blade 98 which I really like. It isn't a crisp feeling as the Tour, but I don't get tired with it.

The problem I'm having is getting juice on my serve (yes I know - hit the weight room), and I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on if there was a string choice that would help me out with this. I string my own sticks so can experiment fairly inexpensively. For the last couple of years I've been using AluPower 16 in the mains at between 52 and 55, and Babolat VS 17 in the crosses 3 or 4 pounds tighter than the mains.

Should I try a different string combination; change tensions (up or down), any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ian

goblake14
03-02-2008, 12:37 PM
The polyester mains are a probable cause of the lack of power. Replacing them with gut (so as to make a full gut job) would almost certainly increase power. I know you said that you can experiment inexpensively due to your personal stringing but full gut jobs cost full gut prices and if this is too much for you, you could try using a high end multifilament (NXT? Biphase?) on the mains, or even just go full multi. As far as tension is concerned, I wouldn't go much lower than you already are because you might see drastic control loss at anything under fifty.

Stan
03-02-2008, 12:48 PM
You could reverse your hybrid and put the gut in the mains. This will produce a noticeable and controllable mini power surge for you.

maddog2020
03-02-2008, 02:19 PM
I might well try the reverse hybrid. I'm a little confused though. I thought the poly was supposed to be a very powerful string - although I never understood that.

YULitle
03-02-2008, 02:31 PM
I might well try the reverse hybrid. I'm a little confused though. I thought the poly was supposed to be a very powerful string - although I never understood that.

Not really.

cpmoran
03-02-2008, 02:43 PM
With your current set up, the poly gives more of the control and spin and the the gut gives more of the power and feel. So if you try the gut in the mains you should get some more feel and power, but lose a bit of control and spin.