PDA

View Full Version : What is my best approach here?

BreakPtSi
03-02-2008, 01:09 PM
Let me see if I can be concise with this:

I have been playing for a little less than a year, mostly every day in the summer and a day or two a week since school started. I'd honestly say I'm pretty damn good for playing that amount of time.
I demoed the [k]surge and loved the feel and decided to buy it, with the same strings, the kgut 16's. I don't remember exact tensions, but I had it strung at the same poundage that the demo was originally at. When I started playing with my racket, I was unhappy to find it felt horrible. I couldn't get any power or feel whatsoever. About a month after, they started to feel better and have gotten great since.
Here's my problem..I have never had it restrung. This is my only racket. A few strings are nearly cut half way through due to biting and the section of strings in the sweet spot area is worn so much the fibers of the string are separating. it looks a little bit like ball fuzz (okay get your laughs out and keep reading) but it is translucent. High school practice starts this Friday and I'm afraid of both breaking the strings early into the season/tryouts but am also afraid of the loss of feel again if I get it restrung this close to the date.

I know I need a second frame, and am most likely going to get the Head extreme pro. But I don't know what tension to string that at, even if I bought it this week. Can anyone tell me where, for starters, I should restring the wilson? Once again, it was strung around August, kgut 16 strings, somewhere in the upper 50's. If you need any more info, ask.

Valjean
03-02-2008, 02:13 PM
It's probably better to get the same frame again.

You should have your racquet restrung at the middle of the racquet's tension range.

Why did you bite your string?

BreakPtSi
03-02-2008, 03:38 PM
Well I have been practicing with the Head and have added weight to the ksurge to make them similar, so that isn't getting the same frame isn't in the equation. Sorry, but that response really didn't do much to help. It was like a generic tip for starting up tennis. I need something more specific.

BreakPtSi
03-02-2008, 03:44 PM
I don't have the ability to edit posts (yet at least?) so sorry for the double, but also I'll assume the worst and explain that by biting I meant when the strings rub back and forth on one another.

Valjean
03-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Well I have been practicing with the Head and have added weight to the ksurge to make them similar, so that isn't getting the same frame isn't in the equation. Sorry, but that response really didn't do much to help. It was like a generic tip for starting up tennis. I need something more specific.
You don't leave us enough to go by, then; how can we know what you can't help us divine? And starting you out in the middle of its range is the stock answer the USRSA gives us too.

BreakPtSi
03-02-2008, 06:27 PM
You don't leave us enough to go by, then; how can we know what you can't help us divine? And starting you out in the middle of its range is the stock answer the USRSA gives us too.

Exactly. I hesitate to give you lip when you have a hearty 2000+ posts, but if this is the type of answers you normally give, there doesn't seem to be much substance in what you say anyhow. I stated more than once the time period the strings have been on the racket, the very approximate tension, and what strings. I also said I needed more specific answers fit to my situation, which is why I posted here and didn't just look up "stringing tips" on google (which would provide me with everything you have said, with less wait time)

Valjean
03-02-2008, 07:26 PM
Excuse me; even though as of now 86 people have viewed your post, do you see anyone else even responding? Don't you think that says something about how much can be said to respond to you? Yet you imply there is some specific information to help you that's either eluded the whole board or is, stranger still, being kept from you. Since you can know all that with such certainty, can you need us to help you?

BreakPtSi
03-03-2008, 12:22 PM
I expected, on this string category forum of guys/girls who constantly tout there stringing abilities and answer countless questions that someone could give me a simple, thoughtful answer. Obviously, you don't know very much or cannot comprehend the English language very well. I am sorry for that, but I did not ask for your specific response(s). When I post, I assume the people who have no idea on the matter will not respond. I guess I was wrong.

Valjean
03-03-2008, 01:22 PM
Your current count of viewers who will not comment further is now at 122, I'm sorry to add. Now, that's approximately 40 more than last time. Either these 122 forum members don't understand you, secretly wish you well but won't comment beyond it, or have decided somehow to withhold information you appear to desperately need. Which do you think by now it wasn't...

Stan
03-03-2008, 01:51 PM
String it at 55.5 pounds. Nothing more, nothing less. This will allow the racquet to give you peak performance.

Gmedlo
03-03-2008, 02:15 PM
Valjean's recommendation is perfectly fine. Lower the tension to the mid range or slightly lower when you have it restrung. Don't buy 2 different racquets thinking that lead will make them play similarly.....

BreakPtSi
03-03-2008, 05:52 PM
Thanks guys (even you valjean :roll:). I talked to my coach today and he thinks I should start around 54, and he can loosen it as needed.

racquet_jedi
03-03-2008, 05:57 PM
Thanks guys (even you valjean :roll:). I talked to my coach today and he thinks I should start around 54, and he can loosen it as needed.

Since the strings started feeling better quite a while after you received, you should probably go with the lowest recommended tension, which is 53 for the racquet in question, yeah, this probably isn't so much a difference than 54 but Pete Sampras might say otherwise...:wink:

(Side comment, I also advocate getting another KSurge instead of an Extreme Pro, or just have two Extreme Pros, sorry, just my irrelevant opinion on things...:wink:)

Steve Huff
03-04-2008, 07:03 PM
Do as Stan suggested--55.5pounds. He has this formula for certain rackets and strings. Make sure you put the Gut in the mains though or the formula changes. 53 will be too loose within 2 weeks.