PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Have K90s ever cracked at the throat?

gocard
03-02-2008, 02:20 PM
My friend gave me his racquet to string, but after I took out the strings and checked the frame, I found a very small hairline crack going across the width of the frame, along a grommet. I'm afraid to string this because of the crack. Has anyone ever seen a k90 tour cracked at the throat right at the first grommet from the center?? It's right above the 'l' in Wilson and the 'i' on the other side of the racquet.

Could it have cracked due to dropping the racquet b/c my friend has dropped it several times but I would have expected the crack to occur at the head or elsewhere. Or could it have happened at some other time during the previous stringings???

Vermillion
03-02-2008, 02:22 PM
did you tell your friend yet? do it fast lol

YULitle
03-02-2008, 02:28 PM
Could it have cracked due to dropping Yes the racquet b/c my friend has dropped it several times but I would have expected the crack to occur at the head or elsewhere. Or could it have happened at some other time during the previous stringings??? Yes

It could be cosmetic. The difference between a cosmetic crack and a structural crack is hard to ascertain at times. I'm not sure there is a perfect way. I wouldn't string it if I wasn't sure. But, that's me.

gocard
03-02-2008, 02:33 PM
I already called my friend... he's on a plane right now so all I can do is leave a message for him to call back when he gets it. :( It really looks like a crack to me b/c it's going right through the grommet but I just find it strange that a crack can happen at that part of the racquet if it is dropped. Granted, he didn't have an overgrip on it for a long time and the racquet would just fly out of his hand - this happened at least 3 times that I've seen.

Could the crack have occurred during the previous stringing but just grow over time into a bigger crack? Now I am paranoid about checking all racquets for cracks before stringing.

YULitle
03-02-2008, 02:36 PM
It can crack there from being dropped.

It could've been from stringing too.

It could've been a mix of both.

You should check all racquets before stringing.

gocard
03-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Thanks YULitle. I'm glad I didn't start stringing it - I'll see what my friend wants to do when he gets the voicemail.

gocard
03-02-2008, 04:02 PM
so my friend called back - he says to go ahead and try to string it - if it's cracked, it's cracked. I don't think I'll do it though; it'd be a waste of his string.

YULitle
03-02-2008, 04:06 PM
I'm sure he's thought of that though. Give the man what he wants, IMO.

gocard
03-02-2008, 04:10 PM
hmm, even if it just cracks completely in the middle of stringing it??

Vermillion
03-02-2008, 04:16 PM
well what else is he going to do with it if it IS cracked?

Djokovicfan4life
03-02-2008, 04:18 PM
well what else is he going to do with it if it IS cracked?

Yea, he can't even use it for firewood like he could've 20 years ago. :lol:

Azzurri
03-02-2008, 06:19 PM
Is this a warranty issue?

gocard
03-02-2008, 07:23 PM
I don't know about the warranty. It's a k90 he got in China but it doesn't have the hologram sticker. It says "Not for Resale if Hologram Missing." I haven't seen a US k90 in person so I can't compare whether it is a real one or not, but it does have a 90 sq in head, thin beamed and a 16 x 19 pattern.

Anyway, I strung it for him. Before doing so I warned him that I thought it was a crack and he said to go ahead and string it. Luckily it didn't just split like I had imagined it would :) We'll see what happens...

BreakPoint
03-02-2008, 07:31 PM
Most likely it's just a crack in the paint surface and not a crack in the graphite frame itself. ProStaffs are notorious for developing paint cracks under or around the throat bridge. I wouldn't worry about it. If it's just a paint crack it doesn't affect the frame's playability nor strength whatsoever. I've played with ProStaffs that had these paint cracks for years without noticing any difference.

gocard
03-02-2008, 07:56 PM
good to know - the reason I was worried was because it was a straight line going through a grommet. It did look cracked as I was stringing it but now that it's done, I can barely see that line anymore. It's tough to see it on the white surface.