PDA

View Full Version : Why Did Head Discontinue the Ti.Classic

Matt21
12-28-2004, 08:59 AM
You know, I have finally come into my own with this racquet. I own it along with an i.Prestige and an HPS7.1. No other racquet I've played with gives me the thump and consistency of the Ti.Classic. I get a good solid thump with the i.Prestige MP, but my elbow took a good thumping along with it. Also, I'd have to say that based on my playing with these two racquets, not all 18x20's play the same. I have Technifibre NRG2 18g (61lbs) strung in the i.Prestige and I get more spin and control from my Ti.Classic strung with Head Rip Control 17 @ 61lbs. Did Head not even pitch the Ti.Classic to the pros? I don't understand. I like it even better than the LM Prestige (I demo'd both the Mid and the MP). With it's weight, balance and thump, the only thing I've hit with recently that came close was the Wilson NCode SixOne (95). For the price that I paid for my Ti.Classic new ($59), I'd rather try to find another one, than drop $179 for a new Wilson. If anyone knows a website where I can pickup another brand new Ti.Classic, please post it (I currently have size 5 grip, but I'd like to drop to a size 4, then replace the stock grip with a Gamma Hi-Tech gel grip). Also, I'd love to hear comments from others who own or have used a Ti.Classic (especially anyone who has any insight/ideas as to why Head d/c'd it).

ollinger
12-28-2004, 09:05 AM
A business strategy I suppose -- don't take it personally. Why don't you write to Head and ask them?
________
Cheap Bubblers (http://glassgallery.tumblr.com)

robstar
12-28-2004, 09:29 AM
Matt, email me at robstar90@hotmail.com and i think i might be able to help out with those ti classics ok

rob

FaSteStSeRvE1613
01-01-2005, 04:33 PM
i have 3 used ti.classics in 4 1/2 grips. email me at fastestserve1613@comcast.net if you're interested.

ej
01-01-2005, 06:13 PM
If you kept your Ti Classic forever; if you didn't keep giving Head money for NEW racquets, than Head wouldn't be able to afford to slobber their logo all over Agassi's Donnay.

Chanchai
01-02-2005, 11:45 PM
Why do textbook companies reshuffle a few chapters every couple years that may actually compromise the content of the original book, add update chapters that may actually compromise the intended content of the book, or any other "edition updates" for textbooks? :P

Just playing, but you get the idea :) Not a perfect analogy at all, but the concept should be the same.

-Chanchai

dufferok
02-02-2005, 11:07 AM
The Ti.Classic is a great racket. I have a total of 6 rackets I take with me to tourn. around here: 2 Ti.Classics, 2 Ti.Radicals, 2 LM Radicals. If I'm up against a hard hitter, I pull out the Ti.Classic. The extra mass in the frame provides stability over the hard hitters.

A serve and volley match calls for the Ti.Radical...a good all-around racket.

A match with long ground stroke rallies calls for the LM Radical. I bit more power that provides good deep ground strokes.

My only complaint about the Ti.Classic...it does not have the shock obsorbing tech. that the Ti.Radical and LM Radical contains. Therefore, you might notice a bit more vibration in the handle. This adds to feel, but may be bad for those with a weak wrist.

rich s
02-02-2005, 11:14 AM
So they can come out with the LM Classic and then the Flexpoint Classic

:)

Nubarron
02-02-2005, 11:45 AM
I have 3 of them. I too was looking for some replacements. When i bought mine they had just come out and were $120 each. Unfortunately I didn't take advantage of the clearance that TW and others had on them. My question is, why would Head not at least still offer the old Prestige Classic. Wilson still offers the 6.0 & 6.1 and Prince still offers the POG's. If they've got a winner you'd think they'd stick with it. The last thing I want to do is have to acclimate myself to a new stick every 3-5 years because a company doesn't offer them anymore. Yeah well!

BreakPoint
02-02-2005, 12:46 PM
My question is, why would Head not at least still offer the old Prestige Classic. Wilson still offers the 6.0 & 6.1 and Prince still offers the POG's.

Actually the Wilson PS 6.0 and PS 6.1 are both "officially" discontinued. You can't buy them in pro shops any longer. You can still find them here at TW because TW has a special "made to order" deal with Wilson. TW did bring back the Prestige Classic a couple of years a ago and had them for a while, but they're now all sold out. The bottom line is, I think if a retailer is willing to buy a lot of a racquet model up front, the manufacturers can be convinced to make some more of a discontinued model.

Pushmaster
02-02-2005, 03:08 PM
I only wish that Head would do another run of the PC.