PDA

View Full Version : Power Pad Pics

YULitle
03-02-2008, 03:06 PM
Anyone got any good pics of power pads close up? I've torn this forum apart looking for some that are close enough. Little help? I'm looking for shoulder power pads, close up. Preferably on a wooden racquet. Preferably a square of leather, not a rolled piece. :D :D I know that's picky, but maybe it's out there. :D

TheShaun
03-02-2008, 03:08 PM
i recall seeing a good pic of shoulder power pads in one of the many post your gear threads. not on a woodie and i think it was rolled. good luck!

jaykay
03-02-2008, 03:23 PM
I have Power Pads in all of mine. I'll take a high-res pic and send it to you in a day or two if you can wait that long. PM me with your e-mail id.

Randy Stephenson does all my racquets (in case you know who he is).

P.S. I had to look up Guymon on Google Maps to find out where it is. What are you doing there? I'd like to think that your talents would NOT be put to good use there..., you ought to get back to a more tennis-friendly destination (and I sincerely mean that in a good way as a genuine well-wisher).

YULitle
03-02-2008, 03:40 PM
I have Power Pads in all of mine. I'll take a high-res pic and send it to you in a day or two if you can wait that long. PM me with your e-mail id.

P.S. I had to look up Guymon on Google Maps to find out where it is. What are you doing there? I'd like to think that your talents would NOT be put to good use there..., you ought to get back to a more tennis-friendly destination (and I sincerely mean that in a good way as a genuine well-wisher).

I have talked to him on the phone once, and know of him as a previous Stringer of the Year. I doubt he remembers me calling.

In Guymon, I am doing a mixture of things. One is trying to find a mindless job. Two, waiting to start back at college to finish my degree. Three, helping people with stringing issues, filming videos, and working on a secret project (shhhhhhh! :D.)

I can wait however long for the pics. I'll send my email post haste.

hey6519
03-02-2008, 06:31 PM

i feel ya i wish i lived in Florida or somewhere else (i live in Oklahoma)

fishuuuuu
03-03-2008, 09:27 AM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b361/fishuuuuufromtw/asdsd.jpg?t=1204568803

YULitle
03-03-2008, 09:28 AM
fishuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu: Thanks!

firefox
03-03-2008, 10:22 AM
Leather pads on a wooden racquet, rolled type though. These pads were rolled from my old Adidas GTX Pro grip back in the 80's. :-P

http://i30.tinypic.com/2558en9.jpg

IanRichardson
03-03-2008, 10:30 AM
firefox, is that a hybrid job on a maxply mcenroe?

jaykay
03-03-2008, 02:14 PM
I have talked to him on the phone once, and know of him as a previous Stringer of the Year. I doubt he remembers me calling.

In Guymon, I am doing a mixture of things. One is trying to find a mindless job. Two, waiting to start back at college to finish my degree. Three, helping people with stringing issues, filming videos, and working on a secret project (shhhhhhh! :D.)

I can wait however long for the pics. I'll send my email post haste.

Sent you the pics as promised.

YULitle
03-03-2008, 02:18 PM
Sweet. Thank you very much. :D

miniRafa386
03-03-2008, 05:29 PM
hey guys, where can i get some of these?

YULitle
03-03-2008, 05:32 PM
Anything leather. Just cut it into strips and role them or small squares. You could use an old belt, a scrap of an old jacket or an old leather grip. They do sell a roll of these, but it's much cheaper just to improvise.

miniRafa386
03-03-2008, 05:33 PM
thanks yulitle!

iplaybetter
03-03-2008, 06:22 PM
Leather pads on a wooden racquet, rolled type though. These pads were rolled from my old Adidas GTX Pro grip back in the 80's. :-P

http://i30.tinypic.com/2558en9.jpg

that is a beautiful pic

chrisplchs
03-03-2008, 06:52 PM
those are really thin pieces of leather.

if you use a thicker leather, you probably won't need to fold them.

JAT

Sampras and Safin used them in their racquets (I know that Safin did when he played like a champ in late 90s) so if somebody can find a pic of that

diredesire
03-03-2008, 08:42 PM
YULitle, if you need any other high res photos I can probably accomodate with stuff I have on hand. I have a photography hobby w/ a nice set up ;)

JD

almerickso
03-03-2008, 09:20 PM
hmmm... dumb questions here...

what are they for? and why are they called power pads?

diredesire
03-03-2008, 09:37 PM
hmmm... dumb questions here...

what are they for? and why are they called power pads?

They were originally used to lessen the sharp bends in the corners/sharp bends in a frame. "back then," gut (and also synthetic strings) used to be more prone to breakage at tight bends.

Nowadays, they are still used for stringing gut (sampras, etc), but also are sometimes used for their slight vibration dampening side effects.

(This is a brief description, i'm sure others will chime in and expand)

almerickso
03-04-2008, 01:06 AM
thanks for the reply :)

how does the power pad name come from that use?

YULitle
03-04-2008, 02:54 AM
diredesire: I may take you up on that in the future

almerickso: sillyness

miniRafa386
03-05-2008, 04:56 PM
yulitle, what if i made power pads out of tourna grip? would that do any better/worse than leather? i think it would look cool in my rads

YULitle
03-05-2008, 06:03 PM
It'd be worth a try. Though, I think the string might tear right through it. You'd have to role it pretty tight. Let us know if it works. :D

pedrowsky
03-12-2010, 12:20 PM
Anything leather. Just cut it into strips and role them or small squares. You could use an old belt, a scrap of an old jacket or an old leather grip. They do sell a roll of these, but it's much cheaper just to improvise.

where do they sell them???

DownTheLine
03-12-2010, 12:31 PM
Why would you bumb up a 2 year old thread when you could just google it?

pedrowsky
03-12-2010, 12:42 PM
Why would you bumb up a 2 year old thread when you could just google it?

sorry, didn't see that...

aimr75
03-12-2010, 12:47 PM
................... just saw this is an old thread

Steve Huff
03-12-2010, 06:18 PM
Martina Navratilova used them in her Yonex to protect the strings. She had them in the top of her rackets (back before bumperguards). The strings sunk down into the leather. Other players did it too, but she was probably the most popular.