PDA

View Full Version : VS Gut vs. Biphase

akapistolpete
03-02-2008, 05:22 PM
i have 2 speedport tour racquets, one with 17g x-one biphase and the other with 16g babolat vs touch. both are strung at 58 lbs. the biphase was freshly strung the day before and the gut was strung a week before that and had been played with for about 2 hours.

today i played 1 set each with both strings. the feel from the gut is definately better by far and there was more ball pocketing felt on the gut as well. the gut also seemed to have a little more power a tad bit less spin but still alot of control.

now the biphase being freshly strung it felt a bit more crisp with very good control and spin. now it is also a smaller gauge string at 17.

if the biphase would stay like this after being broken in i think i would choose it over VS. im gonna keep playing with the biphase and see how it breaks in.

now if i was looking for more control out of the VS i was thinking maybe increase the tension from 58 to 60 or going to 17 gauge but i don't want to lose durability?

Valjean
03-02-2008, 05:37 PM
Hi. Frankly, NRG2 (another still-popular multi) and X-1 have each been superseded by all three of these new strings: Babolat's Xcel Power, Wilson's K-Gut, and Wilson's K-Gut Pro.

Pro_Tour_630
03-02-2008, 06:28 PM
Hi. Frankly, NRG2 (another still-popular multi) and X-1 have each been superseded by all three of these new strings: Babolat's Xcel Power, Wilson's K-Gut, and Wilson's K-Gut Pro.
yeah, but do they come in 18g?:) no, back to NRG2 and X1 for me, thank you

akapistolpete
03-02-2008, 08:51 PM
i may try the xcel power next, but if im looking for more control out of the gut should i try a few pounds heavier? i just found on some returns with fast serves the ball was jumping a little

Valjean
03-03-2008, 03:10 AM
Yes, raise the VS by all means. X-1 is assuredly a stiffer, less powerful string.

You were smart to go a gauge thicker on the VS; if you have any qualms about premature breakage (for you, though), you should go with string savers. Babolat makes a good one, Elastocross II.

akapistolpete
03-03-2008, 05:08 AM
yeah i have the babolat string savers.

Im gonna try a few pounds higher next time now i just have to wait to see what the durability is like until i get it restrung.

Pro_Tour_630
03-03-2008, 07:11 AM
Y
You were smart to go a gauge thicker on the VS; if you have any qualms about premature breakage (for you, though), you should go with string savers. Babolat makes a good one, Elastocross II.

I think you and I agree that if players are used to playing with a very thin string ie under 1.20mm there is nothing out there that can come close to nrg and X1 18g's, and yes I have tried bow 18g, it is nice but very crisp and does not last as long as nrg/x1 18g or (ashaway 18g/gosen18g) As for string savers, I would never use them, they take away from the feel of the stringbed and increase the area between the cross and the main, I am trying to decrease that area.

nickb
03-03-2008, 08:10 AM

Frankly its personal preference...I would take X-1 over KGut or anything with Xcel in the name (mush).

Nick

Valjean
03-03-2008, 10:38 AM
I think you and I agree that if players are used to playing with a very thin string ie under 1.20mm there is nothing out there that can come close to nrg and X1 18g's, and yes I have tried bow 18g, it is nice but very crisp and does not last as long as nrg/x1 18g or (ashaway 18g/gosen18g) As for string savers, I would never use them, they take away from the feel of the stringbed and increase the area between the cross and the main, I am trying to decrease that area.
Actually, I like and have used 18 gauge string in the past; indeed at one time NRG2 18 was my string of choice. Currently, however, my favorite 18 gauge is not that one, it is Klip's SuperNatural Phenom XRC 18 instead. I wouldn't recommend string savers for you, since you say you don't like them and appear to have no durability trouble/concern similar to the OP's.

Valjean
03-03-2008, 10:50 AM
Frankly its personal preference...I would take X-1 over KGut or anything with Xcel in the name (mush).

Nick
Frankly, it's unnecessary to say so; anything you select still comes down to a matter of preference. Your signature says you don't use multis, though; coming from PSGD I wouldn't think you'd care about what they're for, and that you feel your game doesn't benefit enough from what they're designed to do. Care to speak to it? Let the OP in when you do, could you then, please, nick? He'd like to save money I'm sure, if he would, too.

slice-o-maniac
03-03-2008, 10:53 AM
I think you and I agree that if players are used to playing with a very thin string ie under 1.20mm there is nothing out there that can come close to nrg and X1 18g's, and yes I have tried bow 18g, it is nice but very crisp and does not last as long as nrg/x1 18g or (ashaway 18g/gosen18g) .

so you sacrifice the durability for the performance of the string? can you elaborate alil more on that please? i'm trying to find a hybrid or one type of string that will satisfy my gf's taste in strings (she likes the x-1 but hates how the stringbeds begin to move and gives her an awkward feel. she uses a speedport black with the grommet insert and NRG2 17g strung @ 58)

nickb
03-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Frankly, it's unnecessary to say so; anything you select still comes down to a matter of preference. Your signature says you don't use multis, though; coming from PSGD I wouldn't think you'd care about what they're for, and that you feel your game doesn't benefit enough from what they're designed to do. Care to speak to it? Let the OP in when you do, could you then, please, nick? He'd like to save money I'm sure, if he would, too.

I break multis in under 2 hours play, I dont need the extra power and hate the feel of them. I think they are overpriced for what you get...

I break PSGD on average at 4 hours play...its dirt cheap for me and if I cant get a good deal on a reel I can use OG Micro until I get some more.

Nick

Pro_Tour_630
03-03-2008, 11:32 AM
Actually, I like and have used 18 gauge string in the past; indeed at one time NRG2 18 was my string of choice. Currently, however, my favorite 18 gauge is not that one, it is Klip's SuperNatural Phenom XRC 18 instead. I wouldn't recommend string savers for you, since you say you don't like them and appear to have no durability trouble/concern similar to the OP's.

TW carried phenom once in 18g but due to the heavy premature breakage they stopped caring the string. Mine popped while stringing I sent TW the two end pieces(clean cut) they sent me another one for free. I tried I did not care for it, it played thicker than 1.18mm :confused: do a search they had issues with durability

Pro_Tour_630
03-03-2008, 11:42 AM
so you sacrifice the durability for the performance of the string? can you elaborate alil more on that please?

for sure I sacrifice durability for performance and I string my own. IT is always nice to have a fresh set of string rather than have a set that has been played with even as little as 1/2 dozen times. In table tennis serious players peel off the rubber every time the play and and re-glue with a new sheet on their pallet each rubber sheet cost around $15 and you need two.

But OTOH, sometimes people feel the opposite, they hate fresh strings and like them right before they break.

When my friend used to string for Ivan Lendl he wanted his NG broken in so we take his frames and play with them for 30 minutes before he will use them.

akapistolpete
03-03-2008, 11:46 AM
so i played again today and the gut on average had a little more power and was flying a bit longer on shots that were long.

i am maybe thinking about hybriding the gut with a poly but i don't want to lose any more durability. i am willing to sacrifice some of the feel for a bit more control. higher tension or hybrid possibilities?
ANY ideas or recommendations?

slice-o-maniac
03-03-2008, 11:57 AM
thanks for your input pro tour 630, lemme ask one more question. i feel like i'm bothering ya too much about lil things... well how much tension loss is there after stringing? i know there is some. and also i'm looking for strings with good pop without resorting to NG. any input aside from x1?

Pro_Tour_630
03-03-2008, 12:08 PM
so i played again today and the gut on average had a little more power and was flying a bit longer on shots that were long.

i am maybe thinking about hybriding the gut with a poly but i don't want to lose any more durability. i am willing to sacrifice some of the feel for a bit more control. higher tension or hybrid possibilities?
ANY ideas or recommendations?

thanks for your input pro tour 630, lemme ask one more question. i feel like i'm bothering ya too much about lil things... well how much tension loss is there after stringing? i know there is some. and also i'm looking for strings with good pop without resorting to NG. any input aside from x1?

to both of you sometimes at higher tension you get more pop, For me I like to string at low tension and I have more control, strangely, I lose a bit more control at higher tension but that is just me. sometimes Poly cross chews through the NG mains quicker, be careful, especially like luxilon Rough in cross like the Federer setup

There is NRG17g that is nice you can pre-stretch that if you like

or these are nice as well in open patterns

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACTFUSA-TGV17.html

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACTFUSA-XR317.html

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACTFUSA-MF17.html

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACTFUSA-51517.html

slice-o-maniac
03-03-2008, 12:36 PM
you mention pre-stretching.... i'm not with familiar terms that stringers know... what is pre-stretching and what does that do the the string if you don't stretch it

akapistolpete
03-03-2008, 12:59 PM
to both of you sometimes at higher tension you get more pop, For me I like to string at low tension and I have more control, strangely, I lose a bit more control at higher tension but that is just me. sometimes Poly cross chews through the NG mains quicker, be careful, especially like luxilon Rough in cross like the Federer setup

well i could definatley feel more spring and pop from the VS compared to the X-1 some i gonna try a higher tension.

If I was going to hybrid with a poly in the mains should i keep the gut in the crosses or replace with a multi? thanks