PDA

View Full Version : Is stringing poly in crosses harder?

vince916
03-02-2008, 07:26 PM
I wanted to do a hybrid of syngut/poly at this local tennis shop. They charge $14 for poly/main and syngut/crosses and $18 for poly in the crosses. They said it was harder to string poly in the crosses so it takes more time thats why they charge more.

Is there any truth to what they said? Is that extra time really worth a 30% increase in you price?

goober
03-02-2008, 07:54 PM
I think it is harder, but I never heard of some place charging extra for it.

almerickso
03-02-2008, 08:33 PM
its a bit harder to weave the poly in the crosses... but its not so much harder if its a hybrid...

a full poly setup would be real pain to weave crosses on... but some poly's are softer than others :D

abenguyen
03-02-2008, 09:41 PM
its a bit harder to weave the poly in the crosses... but its that so much harder if its a hybrid...

a full poly setup would be real pain to weave crosses on... but some poly's are softer than others :D

true here. i've never done poly crosses with syn gut mains so i couldn't say. but i'd assume there'd be some difficulty at the poly is a stiff string therefore hard to weave but with soft mains? idk... and an extra $4 is ridiculous

ryohazuki222
03-02-2008, 10:49 PM
haha... if i could do whatever i wanted and ppl would let me get away with it i'd charge the extra $4.

i'd also charge more to string full poly. id charge ppl more for dense string patterns. charge people who had o3s more... and dont forget about those prestige users with their cap grommets.... double price for them!

[dont do any of that btw]

AlpineCadet
03-02-2008, 11:03 PM
I wanted to do a hybrid of syngut/poly at this local tennis shop. They charge $14 for poly/main and syngut/crosses and $18 for poly in the crosses. They said it was harder to string poly in the crosses so it takes more time thats why they charge more.

Is there any truth to what they said? Is that extra time really worth a 30% increase in you price?That's a bit strange, but I guess time IS money for those local shops that are swamped. .

ericsson
03-03-2008, 12:41 AM
Yes it's a lot harder IMO, when you do crosses with hard poly or with the soft let's say X-one, you will know the difference.

Stannie
03-03-2008, 12:46 AM
If you've strung XXXX many racquets, it's really not a big deal.

The worst is something like natural gut in the mains and BB Rough in the crosses in a LM prestige mid or something like of that nature...=[

YULitle
03-03-2008, 04:09 AM
Yeah, like Stannie said. The only issue I ever had was when the main was natural gut, in which case I simply slowed down so as not to pierce the string while weaving.

Charging extra for a tough string is ridiculous. Time to find a new stringer, me thinks. :D

If we charged more, relative to the difficulty of the string, I'd be a millionaire for all the Gamma Ruff I've strung.

nickb
03-03-2008, 08:14 AM
Yeah, like Stannie said. The only issue I ever had was when the main was natural gut, in which case I simply slowed down so as not to pierce the string while weaving.

Charging extra for a tough string is ridiculous. Time to find a new stringer, me thinks. :D

If we charged more, relative to the difficulty of the string, I'd be a millionaire for all the Gamma Ruff I've strung.

Yeah some of the gamma strings like Ruff and the duraspin stuff are a complete pain to string....Head RIP Control is pretty bad too (for a non poly).

Nick

iplaybetter
03-03-2008, 08:15 AM
its not fun, or easy but it is done

saram
03-03-2008, 08:17 AM
I have never charged anything other than a flat rate for labor when stringing sticks for customers. The only variable in my pricing is the actual cost of the strings they opt to purchase. Charging more for difficulty is a first for me to hear of...

Stan
03-03-2008, 08:37 AM
They must not be very good/confident stringers to charge extra for poly crosses. Do they charge LESS for racquets with 14 mains? Afterall these are easier that normal so following the same logic they should charge less. AMATUERS!!!

vince916
03-03-2008, 12:17 PM
Yea I dont plan to get my strings done there. They missed a cross in my last string job and keep raising prices or have special pricing.

They also always hire high school, college players, and recreational players. They dont have a certified stringer. Every time I go in I see a new teenager stringing on their machines. They are the only tennis shop other then Sports Authority and Chalet.

YULitle
03-03-2008, 12:22 PM
Sounds like a perfect time to learn how to string. :D

jamauss
03-03-2008, 12:26 PM
charging extra for having poly in the crosses? LOL WUT?

I've had to have full poly jobs with Kirschbaum Super Spiky, Gamma Ruff, ALU Rough, etc. and have always just charged a flat labor price. Charging more is weak.

master_stringer_mitchy
03-03-2008, 12:57 PM
charging extra for having poly in the crosses? LOL WUT?

I've had to have full poly jobs with Kirschbaum Super Spiky, Gamma Ruff, ALU Rough, etc. and have always just charged a flat labor price. Charging more is weak.

that is wrong! seems like your stringer needs his head testing! i string everyday, usually full alu power/rough, babolat hurricane, rip control all the nice ones and we charge a flat rate for stringing the frame and then the string price. does anybody else find alu power more of a pain to string than the rough? YUlitle, do you still wax strings?

YULitle
03-03-2008, 01:05 PM
MSM: No, I do not. If there is a tough grommet to push a string through, you may catch me dipping the tip into chapstick, but other than that, no.

You must push your crosses across. :D

master_stringer_mitchy
03-03-2008, 01:09 PM
MSM: No, I do not. If there is a tough grommet to push a string through, you may catch me dipping the tip into chapstick, but other than that, no.

You must push your crosses across. :D

oh i do! i use my fingers to move the string up and down all the way through the so that theres no fricktion on the other strings! just wondered as my boss still lives in the 1960's and was trying to tell me to use it, no point, just wanted to ask a proper stringer!