PDA

View Full Version : String savers - how much tighter do they make the stringbed?

goldenyama
03-02-2008, 08:04 PM
I broke a string the other day and I want to try out some string savers for increased durability - I also heard that they give a bit more spin and make a tighter stringbed. I am looking for some Babolat elasto cross ones.

Before I get this racquet strung again, I was wondering - approximately how many lbs tighter do they make the stringbed? I would like to keep it feeling about the same tension as now - should I string it 1, 2, 3lbs lower? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

abenguyen
03-02-2008, 08:42 PM
i'd say 2-3 lbs. i used to use string savers, and you'd notice the extra stiffness added. extra spin? idk about that but thats what i think from my experience with string savers

andreh
03-03-2008, 12:07 AM
It also depends on how many you put in (Babolat's model at least). Plaster the sweetspot and gets a bit tighter. Putting in 10-15 to keep the mains from moving shouldn't affect it too much.

JacKKyKung
03-03-2008, 02:13 AM
I've just installed them 1 hr ago. That's my first time of using SS. i'll tell you later about there feeling.

Valjean
03-03-2008, 02:17 AM
Yes; the stock advice is to drop tension 2 lbs. if you intend to install at every intersection--and you could likely get away with none if you do even half that. The teflon used to make Babolat's Elastocross flexes more than some, to start with. A recommended installation pattern is a diamond.

goldenyama
03-03-2008, 04:17 PM
Thanks guys

BallBeemer
03-03-2008, 04:21 PM
The strings savers get really annoying but are really fun installing. The string savers also, actually, do give extra tension for making a larger space where the string cross. It really depends on how many your putting on. About 2 lbs if your doing the sweet spot and about 4 if your doing the whole racquet.

volleyman
03-03-2008, 07:32 PM
Before I get this racquet strung again, I was wondering - approximately how many lbs tighter do they make the stringbed? I would like to keep it feeling about the same tension as now - should I string it 1, 2, 3lbs lower? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

I use string savers a lot, but I don't adjust my stringing tension.

That's because I don't put in my string savers until my strings start to fray or notch. At that point, the increase in perceived tension ameliorates some of the tension loss that has occurred.

If you plan to put in string savers before you do any playing, a small drop in tension might be advisable. I'd try two pounds as a starting point.