PDA

View Full Version : K Factor 95 6.1, nCode 95 6.1, RDS 002 Tour, MGPP

tlimster
03-03-2008, 10:59 AM
I have been testing all of these racquets and thought I'd decided to keep the K Factor, but a guy I was playing (former college, now 5.0) with yesterday said he played with the Hyper Pro Staff 6.1 and it destroyed his arm, to the extent that he may need surgery this summer. Granted, he played in three leagues last summer so may not be the racquet.

But I'm wondering, is the K Factor an arm friendly racquet? It fits Dr. Hancu's specs in every respect except stiffness, and it feels great plowing through the ball in heavy hitting.

Has anyone else had problems with their arm playing the 6.1 line?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks, Tony

jasonchu
03-03-2008, 05:30 PM
I have been testing all of these racquets and thought I'd decided to keep the K Factor, but a guy I was playing (former college, now 5.0) with yesterday said he played with the Hyper Pro Staff 6.1 and it destroyed his arm, to the extent that he may need surgery this summer. Granted, he played in three leagues last summer so may not be the racquet.

But I'm wondering, is the K Factor an arm friendly racquet? It fits Dr. Hancu's specs in every respect except stiffness, and it feels great plowing through the ball in heavy hitting.

Has anyone else had problems with their arm playing the 6.1 line?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks, Tony

I loved the HyperProStaff 6.1 (but depends on whether it was the grey/red one or the orange/yellow/black/white one). The latter was one of the best racquets I ever used.

The new Kfactor is good but stiffer IMHO despite what the specs say. Lighter too it just seems. (perception may not be reality -- DISCLAIMER DISCLAIMER DISCLAIMER)

I think your friend played too much tennis. Go with the Kfactor and just use a softer string like an XCEL or NXT.

In D Zone
03-04-2008, 09:52 AM
Arm soreness - I have experinced sporadic arm soreness after playing with N90 and K90.

I then compared it with how I play with the Yonex RDS001 mid and arrived at this conclusion.

Because of the ridge frame, heavier swingweight and low power racquet - I noticed that I have the tendency of over exaggerating my strokes and even tightening up my grip. After less than hour of playing your noticed that my arm or your shoulder gets sore.

I realized that I need to relax just like how I play with the RDS001 - I blocked out the need for overgriping and over compensating my strokes, and let my game flow with the N90 and K90.

The results are very rewarding and no more arm soreness.

tlimster
03-06-2008, 09:51 PM
Just finished playing a couple of sets this evening. I was hitting great shots, but my wrist and arm hurt now. Perhaps I'm just getting old. The big difference I notice between the Pro Staff line and the 002 Tour and MGPP is the plow or cupping effect. I feel like if I make a good swing I will crush the ball with the K95 or N95. I am thinking now about moving backwards and using the nCode in order to save my arm a little bit, but the K Factor is really an incredible racquet. I've eliminated the 002 Tour, because I just don't get the power on serve as I get with the other racquets, for some reason.

NLBwell
03-07-2008, 06:09 PM
tlimster - you say the 002Tour is weaker on serve than the others. How is the MGPP compared to the 6.1's?

ohhgourami
03-07-2008, 06:27 PM
my k95 can give some arm soreness but the correct stroke can be very comfortable. i can smack the crap out of the ball with a fluid swing. you cant muscle the ball with this racquet

Ross K
03-07-2008, 11:36 PM
tlimster,

Could you possibly please do a more detailed match up comparisons between the n95 the k95 and the mm pp? Cheers...

a_6m
03-08-2008, 12:32 AM
yes..arm soreness, if you don't hit the ball right.

Racquet is the stiffest or one of the stiffest, but combined with heft weight and all, its much more stable too.

After I started playing with this stick, and then tried my older APDs for while, they gave me arm soreness though they are very muted. And when I first switched to this k95 it gave me arm soreness. Confusing.

Racquet is a Rocket Launcher otherwise but then you need to be ROBOCOP with it.

barry
03-08-2008, 03:43 AM
I played with the Ksix-one 95 for a month, ended up with a sore shoulder, switched back to the Nsix-one 95; shoulder is almost back to normal. The K95 is very stiff, and Wilson moved the weight to the middle of the racket. It reminds me of a stiff DNX 9. In my opinion, the Nsix-one 95 is far superior and a lot easier on the joints. Purchased 5, so am skipping this generation of Wilson frames.

caesar66
03-08-2008, 05:57 AM
I think alot of it can be technique. I use a k95 16x18 with two hps 6.1 95 16x18s as backups and they are almost identical. I have no arm pain from any of the three, even after long matches.

tlimster
03-09-2008, 03:21 PM
OK, I've had the week and the weekend to hit with the various rackets. I will add that I haven't played 4 days in a row in a while, but I played a couple of good 4.5 players and managed to beat one and split sets with the other before quitting that one. Here are some impressions.

1) On the first question re: RDS002 Tour- it generates the greatest amount of topsin on my forehand, a good deal of spin on serve, but I can't hit hard slice or flat with it. Holding serve is difficult for me sometimes, perhaps because I still can't concentrate for a long match. I have one of these and may keep it a little longer, but will not be my go to racket because I still haven't figured out how to hit a hard serve with it.

2) nCode 6.1 -- softer than the Kfactor, still hits similar to the K but also has a touch more feel and a better slice backhand. Serve, I think, is not as effective. I played yesterday and my arm hurt immediately after.

3) MGPP -- was playing with this in the morning with full poly (Polyfibre TCS) and was hitting extremely effective hard spins and didn't double fault once, also aced the guy with a really spinning second serve, which doesn't happen to me that often. On my groundies I hit heavy topsin, because it felt a little like the ball would sail if I tried to hit flat. But very consistent. This racket felt softer, and the full poly setup didn't hurt my arm. My arm still feels OK. I judge my serve speed by how high it goes up the back fence on one bounce. Toward the end of the match today it was hitting halfway up with a heavy spin. Usually it hits 25% up, so maybe i'm figuring it out.

4) K Factor -- this still remains the racquet of choice for me. I hit hard "dip-drive" forehands, and can hit flat forehands as well, so was able to dictate the pace of play with this racket on Thursday and beat a pretty good player in singles. My serve is maybe slightly harder than MGPP, but doesn't spin as much. I doubt I could use a full poly with this racquet (both this one and the nCode are strung with Kirschbaum Pro Line II and Prince Synthetic).

So for longevity, or if I want to play a lot, then I will probably try to make the transition to the MGPP, although my groundies are just not as effective. If my arm gets better then I will try to go back to the K factor or nCode. Since the nCode is slightly softer, that is probably what I will try first. 12 oz racquets seem natural to me. My old CTS was weighed at the shop and came in at 12.6, so maybe that's why.

The genesis of my arm problems came from a full poly luxilon/APDC setup, which is the first racquet I bought when I came back. Because of the power level of that racquet I hit heavy topsin, possibly bad form possibly not, but not what I usually hit.

My problem remains that my best weapon is my forehand, hitting it both flat and with heavy top to mix things up, and I haven't figured out how to hit the flat one with the MGPP yet. If I can do that, then I think the MGPP has plenty of juice on serve for even me. The other alternative would be to try the MGP 18x20, but I the time and trouble and cost to get one and then possibly switch is not worth it.

basil J
03-09-2008, 05:28 PM
I had the same issue with the rds002 tour last year. I was using a poly hybrid and I couldn't serve for crap with the yonex. fast forward 6 months. I now use vs gut, and i have learned to really relax all my stroke with the yonex. It is now one of my favorite serving sticks of all time, right behind the ncode 6.1. The rds002 tour is a very balanced frame that shines with a soft string at mid tension with loose strokes.

NLBwell
03-10-2008, 02:29 AM
Thanks for the information/reveiws. It helps everyone here.