PDA

View Full Version : is liking the way a racket looks a good enough reason to buy it?

IndieJimmy
03-03-2008, 11:54 AM
well, what do you think?

notujoo
03-03-2008, 11:59 AM
no.. ifirst try it..... if i like the way it feels its a +. but if it looks good and plays well its ++. but its better to buy it because you play welll with it ^^

slice-o-maniac
03-03-2008, 12:00 PM
lol i would have to say no, but there are people who go out and do that!

in a high school team near me, all the girls go for "that racquet looks pretty" rather than the performance.
although cosmetics are part of reasons we get racquets i wouldn't say its the MAIN reason to pick one.

babar
03-03-2008, 12:02 PM
If you care what other ppl think, then it is not a good reason to buy a racquet. If you don't care about what others say, then go ahead and have fun. I've tried a lot of racquets over the years and found some that I liked just b/c of how they looked. I played with the iRadical just b/c I liked the paint job and b/c Andre Agassi endorsed the racquet. It wasn't the best racquet I tried that summer, but I stuck with the iRadical anyway.

slice-o-maniac
03-03-2008, 12:13 PM
If you care what other ppl think, then it is not a good reason to buy a racquet. If you don't care about what others say, then go ahead and have fun. I've tried a lot of racquets over the years and found some that I liked just b/c of how they looked. I played with the iRadical just b/c I liked the paint job and b/c Andre Agassi endorsed the racquet. It wasn't the best racquet I tried that summer, but I stuck with the iRadical anyway.

hey i did the same with tommy haas and the 200g. although i did get the wrong 200g (i got the HM not the MW) hey i still enjoyed the racquet either way.

BreakPoint
03-03-2008, 01:08 PM
Having a nice paintjob helps but that should never be the only reason you buy a racquet. Buy what you play your best tennis with or what feels the best to you.

ollinger
03-03-2008, 01:15 PM
If your goal is to have a racquet you enjoy looking at, then it is a perfectly good reason to buy a racquet. If your goal is to win matches, you may wish to reconsider. Are you someone who is particularly concerned with appearances and other superficial matters?

jazar
03-03-2008, 01:16 PM
no way. i had a customer once who wanted to buy a racket that was green. i showed her all the ones on the market, most of which werent suitable for her, particularly the one she most liked. luckily, she decided it was too expensive and decided not to buy it

VGP
03-03-2008, 01:29 PM
Now really, is there any other reason?

In D Zone
03-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Who knows what's going on these days....

People are now into designers - even if the person does not even play or know how to play. All they care is looks... fashion.

Like this Babolat dressed by Armani.... so what's so special about this racquet? if you cannot back it up with your game?

http://www.selectism.com/posts/archive/2008/march/01/babolat_ea7_emporio_armani_tennis_racquet/index.htm

jasonchu
03-03-2008, 02:22 PM
Who cares what a racquet looks like relative to how well it plays.
You are out there to win tennis games not a fashion contest.

If it is the latter, then you are certainly really really good looking, and
then I would be wrong...

Zoolander
Male Model
"Blue Steel"

jasonchu
03-03-2008, 02:25 PM
no way. i had a customer once who wanted to buy a racket that was green. i showed her all the ones on the market, most of which werent suitable for her, particularly the one she most liked. luckily, she decided it was too expensive and decided not to buy it

Well that is not as bad as the 2 guys who I encountered at my local courts who were arguing that blue string was "faster" than the regular yellow or white string .... And then the other guys says... yeah, well it's not as fast as the red string which is the fastest. They color code string so people know how fast they play.

Argh.

neverstopplaying
03-03-2008, 07:19 PM
well, what do you think?

With this kind of thinking - be careful when you get married.

racquet_jedi
03-03-2008, 07:25 PM
With this kind of thinking - be careful when you get married.

:lol::lol:

To the original poster, if you want the best performance, never pick on looks alone...

But if you just want a racquet that you can flash at people while they hand your #$% to you when playing matches, then go ahead, pick the one that looks the best and the one that is most expensive...:wink:

LanEvo
03-03-2008, 07:35 PM
:lol::lol:

To the original poster, if you want the best performance, never pick on looks alone...

But if you just want a racquet that you can flash at people while they hand your #$% to you when playing matches, then go ahead, pick the one that looks the best and the one that is most expensive...:wink:

thats very true because i gotta say most of those racquets that stick out to you and ones that look kool and everything i bet you will be superoversize racquets most of the time, i have even bought a racquet just based on looks before, look at my signature, i have that triad, when i first got it it looked kool and everything but it was a big *** horseshoe, luckily i was able to make good use out of it

Klatu Verata Necktie
03-03-2008, 08:04 PM
It's a good enough reason if you plan on hanging it on your wall.

ledor
03-03-2008, 08:16 PM
I wish the extreme had a better paint job, but it plays well enough for me to get better, game on.

brownie808
03-03-2008, 08:18 PM
It doesn't hurt for the racquet to have a nice paintjob, but the main focus should be on the performance of the racquet.

slice-o-maniac
03-03-2008, 08:21 PM
It's a good enough reason if you plan on hanging it on your wall.

that's why i have a broken ps85 on my wall =]

meowmix
03-03-2008, 08:22 PM
The seven commandments on racket beauty:

If you can't play with the racket, it doesn't MATTER what it looks like.

If you get massive tennis elbow from the racket, it doesn't MATTER what it looks like.

If it's too heavy for you, it doesn't MATTER what it looks like.

If you hit nothing but fence, it doesn't MATTER what it looks like.

If you can't hit the sweetspot, it doesn't MATTER what it looks like.

If you can't generate spin with the racket, it doesn't MATTER what it looks like.

If the racket is tournament illegal, it doesn't MATTER what it looks like.

Citizen [K]omplain
03-04-2008, 12:06 AM
--- no ---

jelle v
03-04-2008, 02:34 AM
well, what do you think?

NO offcourse not!

Even more so, not liking the paintjob of a racket that plays very well for you, is not a reason to not buy it.

I for instance, am one of the few people that really, really dislikes the paintjob of the nBlade, I still bought them because the racket felt good playingwise.

ThA_Azn_DeViL
03-04-2008, 04:28 AM
You can always give it another paintjob if ur not satisfied about ur racquet, but you cant change its specs.

mattyc
03-04-2008, 09:57 AM
100% yes.

with customization you can make any racket feel good.

JRstriker12
03-04-2008, 09:59 AM
No - buy it for the way it plays, it's not a piece of art.

doogoshly
03-04-2008, 10:34 AM
hahah at least you'll look like you know what you're doing as you walk onto the court.

Mister G
03-04-2008, 10:36 AM
If you are not planning on playing with it, yes. Otherwise, no.

kanjii
03-04-2008, 12:18 PM
I bought the Rossignol F200 and F250...talk about the way a racquet looks..wow!!!, but it played very well and the F250 with the extra weight and hot midnight blue paintjob was a double plus.

03-04-2008, 12:37 PM
To turn this thread around: if you tried a racket and you really liked it but it was bright pink (assuming your male:)) would you still buy it??

meowmix
03-04-2008, 05:48 PM
100% yes.

with customization you can make any racket feel good.

Mattyc, I must politely disagree. We'll go the the extreme. A Gamma Big Bubba is NOT going to feel good no matter how customized you make it. You could add 3 ounces of lead, leather grips, cut down the length, etc and still make it swing like a rocket launcher.

ThA_Azn_DeViL
03-04-2008, 05:50 PM
To turn this thread around: if you tried a racket and you really liked it but it was bright pink (assuming your male:)) would you still buy it??

rip that paint off, give it a boyish paintjob and yes.

chair ump
03-04-2008, 05:52 PM
it's not how it looks, but how it feels.

Regards,

-Ump

Ocean Drive
03-04-2008, 05:58 PM
Hell no, I use a Prestige Classic 660 and people talk about it as if it is one ghastly *** piece of rubbish.

Ocean Drive
03-04-2008, 06:03 PM

Regards,

-Ump

As simple as that. :)

BreakPoint
03-04-2008, 08:45 PM

Haven't you heard Fernando Lamas (Billy Crystal) say - "It's better to look good, than to feel good"? :lol: LOL

Noveson
03-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Having a nice paintjob helps but that should never be the only reason you buy a racquet. Buy what you play your best tennis with or what feels the best to you.

Unless that racquet is the Wilson Gypsy Rose. In that case, uh well there isn't anything else we can do for you.

Mansewerz
03-04-2008, 09:23 PM
I was contemplating getting the dunlop maxply mcenroe (the paint job is somewhat classy, but pretty cheesy lol)

It shouldn't be the main reason to get a racquet.

ClubHoUno
03-04-2008, 09:25 PM
I try first, then buy.

But I have to be honest with you. If a racket performed out of this world great for me, but had a 100% pink paint job, I would never bag it nor play with it.....sorry ;)

IndieJimmy
03-05-2008, 08:04 PM
I think a lot of people are assuming I'm shallow or somehow dumb for asking this question, but I think that with the plethora of racquet brands/models (Ksix-one-95-alpha-zeta-six-ninety-x5 Team) available today, one really has to make a decision (at least somewhat) based on appearance, since so many of these racquets play similarly.

Also, I think the psychological benefits of liking a racquets appearance will help when you're playing poorly, because you can know that you really like the racquet, so the thought of "this racquet sucks" doesn't even cross your mind. I think this way of thinking prevents a lot of people from improving.

Also, as mattyc said (and like his thread about the LM Radical), all these racquets can be customized to feel basically how anyone could want them to feel (given, the headsize is a standard midplus and the frame is built like a player's racquet).

The racquet that I'm thinking of is the Babolat Pure Storm, in case you guys were wondering. I've heard that it's very customizable, and it's definitely not some (to give an extreme example) 120 sq. in. noob racquet that I just think looks cool.

To all the posters who provided ^such an example^ (the noob racquet) to disprove my reasoning, please don't patronize me in the future.

jasonchu
03-06-2008, 12:22 AM

like the bright yellow and/or bright pink or was it orange agassi donnay? sure!

kfactor/all/the/WAY!
03-06-2008, 06:09 AM
babolats look really cool but i can never play with them because of how much power is on them. the feel is like a hollow log