PDA

View Full Version : O3 Speed Port Tour -- How to String it??

Vermillion
03-03-2008, 11:23 AM
Howdy. Somebody just handed over their brand new O3 Speed Port Tour (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCPRINCE-SP03TR.html) to me and I just noticed it.

So the question is... How do I string this sucker up? I've never touched a racquet with O-ports or O-Grommets?? I don't know.
Does this racquet come with some kind of tool? I have no idea how to get started. I don't want up to mess anything up.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Vermillion
03-03-2008, 11:35 AM
Well, I just did a search on how to string, but I'm still not sure how I should proceed. Should I just call the guy up and see if he has the boomerang and the extra grommets (regular grommets?) The racquet comes with 2 sets?

YULitle
03-03-2008, 11:44 AM
It should've come with an extra set, yes.

Vermillion
03-03-2008, 11:50 AM
that extra set is a "regular set of grommets" that replaces the "big holes grommets" on the sides and the top, correct? or is it just the sides?

YULitle
03-03-2008, 11:51 AM
top and sides. :D

master_stringer_mitchy
03-03-2008, 11:52 AM
Well, I just did a search on how to string, but I'm still not sure how I should proceed. Should I just call the guy up and see if he has the boomerang and the extra grommets (regular grommets?) The racquet comes with 2 sets?

if u dont have the boomerang tool, u can lock the table in position before pulling the string. its only a pain for the first 5ish crosses. must say thou, best way is with the boomerang. if ur stringing 1 piece, remember to match up the short side as when u start the crosses on the 4th one you will see why! same rule for 2 piece stringing, just tie of on the allocated hole.

Vermillion
03-03-2008, 11:57 AM
what is the "short side"?

I'm gonna be stringing 2 piece.
Do I need to lock the table if I get the boomerang?

If I don't have the boomerang, do I lock the table for every crosses?

What about the mains? any special treatment for them as well?

YULitle
03-03-2008, 12:03 PM
what is the "short side"?

I'm gonna be stringing 2 piece.
Do I need to lock the table if I get the boomerang?

If I don't have the boomerang, do I lock the table for every crosses?

What about the mains? any special treatment for them as well?

Short side is the side that is tied off. The other side, the long side, becomes your crosses.

If you have boomerang: no need to lock turntable

If no boomerang: only have to lock table on top half of crosses (give or take.)

Usually no issue with mains.

master_stringer_mitchy
03-03-2008, 12:06 PM
Short side is the side that is tied off. The other side, the long side, becomes your crosses.

If you have boomerang: no need to lock turntable

If no boomerang: only have to lock table on top half of crosses (give or take.)

Usually no issue with mains.

yeah, i was gonna say that! seen some of your videos on youtube, very good, tells me im stringing as good and properly as some of you guys!

Vermillion
03-03-2008, 12:11 PM
well, he just brought over the boomerang and the grommets.

that boomerang thing is weird. let me do a search on how to use this thing.

YULitle
03-03-2008, 12:12 PM
I'm surprised that he has it. He must have owned an O3 before this one. Or, he's in the know with someone. :D

Vermillion
03-03-2008, 12:15 PM
I told him to bring it over lol It came in a fancy ziplock bag with the grommets. Why does it not have instructions on how to use the boomerang? I guess it's been awhile since it's been invented. It's new to me haha

master_stringer_mitchy
03-03-2008, 12:22 PM
I told him to bring it over lol It came in a fancy ziplock bag with the grommets. Why does it not have instructions on how to use the boomerang? I guess it's been awhile since it's been invented. It's new to me haha

just insert the boomerang into the grommet so it is snug, should be an arrow on it. and the string should pull right, if it slips, try it the other way. you should be fine. you only need it for the first 6 ish cross strings. good luk!:)

YULitle
03-03-2008, 12:22 PM
The arrow on it indicates which way to insert it. You put the concave side towards the string you are going to be tensioning. Run the string across the channel that goes all the way around the boomerang, and then tension.

YULitle
03-03-2008, 12:23 PM
Shucks. Missed it by seconds. :D :D

Vermillion
03-03-2008, 12:26 PM
Ok, I don't think I got the boomerang lol

He brought over the T shape looking accessory. I guess he doesn't have the boomerang.

I'll have to post pictures later tonight.

Thanks guys

YULitle
03-03-2008, 12:27 PM
HAHA, no. That helps you install the replacement grommets. You use it to push the old ones out and push the new ones in.

Vermillion
03-03-2008, 12:29 PM
yea I just figured that out lol.
So do the boomerangs not come with the racquets or something? what's the deal?

This racquet is pretty...... my precious....

YULitle
03-03-2008, 12:36 PM
No, they stopped sending them with the racquets after they came out with the speedport line. They don't even have them anymore (at Prince or TW.) (From what I hear.)

Vermillion
03-03-2008, 12:41 PM
oh, wow. how are people supposed to string up the big grommets without having any problems then? (Of course, you don't have problems, right? haha).

Vermillion
03-03-2008, 12:44 PM
so with regular grommets, it's just strung like another racquet now?

If I were to do a 2piece, then I'd start the X's knot at the short side first then string top to bottom?

I'll probably try to find a boomerang for future cases like these

Thanks guys. I gotta go for now. Adios~