PDA

View Full Version : Tennis elbow from new racquet...two months late?

spinning09
03-03-2008, 03:14 PM
Last December I began the demo process and finally settled on the Babolat Pure Drive Roddick from a Head Liquidmetal Radical. Two months later as my high school season is about to start, I felt tennis elbow from it for the first time today. I find this very odd because I hadn't experienced it in the prior months. However, this is the first time I've played tennis four days in a row in a long time. Could sustained playing be it? It wasn't an intense pain, but it was there. I never had tennis elbow with my old radical, but it was a more flexible frame. What is causing this to kick in now?

TubbyMcLardo
03-03-2008, 03:18 PM
Maybe the demo frame and your frame were strung differently.

YULitle
03-03-2008, 03:20 PM
sustained playing is usually the culprit, right along with poor technique (not saying that you have that.)

spinning09
03-03-2008, 03:29 PM
nope it was the same frame so it cant be it...

bad technique? maybe. I can't be the judge on this one

YULitle
03-03-2008, 03:35 PM
nope it was the same frame so it cant be it...

bad technique? maybe. I can't be the judge on this one

neither can I ;) :D

Stan
03-03-2008, 03:48 PM
The PDR is stiff as a board. Unhealthy specs. Plus if strings are not fresh it is a recipe for TE. (Go back to Radical)

bertrevert
03-03-2008, 05:01 PM
TE takes a while to manifest - that's why it appears out of the blue and you wonder if you've changed something but really it's just been developing in the background - The PD is well-known as a problematic frame however how about using a softer syn-gut or multi string...

jasonchu
03-03-2008, 05:18 PM
Last December I began the demo process and finally settled on the Babolat Pure Drive Roddick from a Head Liquidmetal Radical. Two months later as my high school season is about to start, I felt tennis elbow from it for the first time today. I find this very odd because I hadn't experienced it in the prior months. However, this is the first time I've played tennis four days in a row in a long time. Could sustained playing be it? It wasn't an intense pain, but it was there. I never had tennis elbow with my old radical, but it was a more flexible frame. What is causing this to kick in now?

same thing here .... i was demoing new racquets for this season, and ouch.... 2 - 3 weeks later.... pain pain pain....

it takes a while to manifest.... and the problem is with a new frame your mechanics change.

rest as much as you can before you have to play for your team ... if you can take a month off...

read about tennis elbow and how to treat

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00068
http://www.nismat.org/ptcor/tennis_elbow/

ice after every match or practice

change racquets to a heavier, head light, and more flexible type.

spinning09
03-03-2008, 05:44 PM
hmmm, would changing the strings help? The frustrating thing is that actually bought it a week ago. I might be able to return it and start demoing again but I'd rather not. What strings would be easier on the elbow specifically? thanks for all the feedback

jasonchu
03-03-2008, 06:06 PM
hmmm, would changing the strings help? The frustrating thing is that actually bought it a week ago. I might be able to return it and start demoing again but I'd rather not. What strings would be easier on the elbow specifically? thanks for all the feedback

Babolat XCEL
Wilson NXT
Prince Multifilament

i thought you bought your pdr in december. if its one week old, return it, or auction it or donate to a local charity.
pain is not worth the savings...

spinning09
03-03-2008, 06:26 PM
I bought it from a guy who sells them privately, so I had been playing with it for about two months before I actually paid him (it took me a while to get around to it). But will these strings take off most of the edge of the pain? Like I said before I'd rather not switch, oh btw its a Pure Drive Roddick Standard, not the +

fuzz nation
03-03-2008, 06:52 PM
A pal of mine has been using the PDR's for a little while and a moderately serious case of TE set in on him after he experimented with some poly in his frames. Aside from doing some therapy, he switched to full nat'l gut and last I checked, he had no new symptoms and his elbow was slowly-but-steadily mending for him. Not saying that you need to do the same, but if you can soften up your stringbed and still play with the racquet, it ought to be a step in the right direction.

ledor
03-03-2008, 08:15 PM
I developed tennis elbow from a 5/8 grip which in turn was 1 size bigger and luxilon BB original strings strung at highest recommended tension. NOT a GOOD idea.

I went down to 1/4, two overgrips...touragrip 2 on top for stickiness, and then went custom hybrid putting natural gut on the mains. My arm has never felt better. Also to add, I've hit the gym ever since. Keep that in mind while doing the proper stretches.

ClimbK2
03-03-2008, 09:03 PM
I've had tennis elbow, which I eliminated with a Pro Kennex Ki5 PSE, natural gut (very heavy racquet). I then switched to a PDR standard with natural gut, and the problems have not recurred. The natural gut and heavier weight (than other racquets) more than offset the racquet's stiffness.

jasonchu
03-03-2008, 11:54 PM
I bought it from a guy who sells them privately, so I had been playing with it for about two months before I actually paid him (it took me a while to get around to it). But will these strings take off most of the edge of the pain? Like I said before I'd rather not switch, oh btw its a Pure Drive Roddick Standard, not the +

take a look at this very scientific look at tennis elbow:

http://tinyurl.com/3cc2mk

search about 1/2 down the webpage for "what causes tennis elbow?"

it will help you in the future. and maybe to customize your PDR (not PDR+) to avoid further issues.

spinning09
03-04-2008, 03:52 PM
sweet thanks for all the feedback guys...im playing tomorrow and ill see how it goes