PDA

View Full Version : Question on YUlitle Parnell Knot

kenshireen
03-03-2008, 04:44 PM
I saw the video and it appears that he tightens the knot 2 times.. Once when there is a loop he pulls on the taught side and then he pulls on the loose tail.
Is there any reason to double pull this.

Ken

YULitle
03-03-2008, 04:52 PM
Hmmmmmm, well, I don't think my name should be thrown in there too as this is the standard way to tighten knots.

The first pull is to take in the slack between the knot and the clamp. The second is MUCH lighter and done to bulk the knot up and keep it from coming undone.

kenshireen
03-03-2008, 05:17 PM
Why can't you just take the tail and pull it forward to take the slack out..the way you do with a half hitch. You pull it toward the center of the racket and then you slide it back to the grommet.
The way the Parnell is displayed it appears that you pull half of the loop in a similar fashion as above and then you pull the tail... In otherwords you are pulling two different parts of the knot..correct

YULitle
03-03-2008, 05:26 PM
I've seen people do this with the double half-hitch. What you can't do using that method, is keep the slack pulled through the grommet. The arcing motion made after you pull the knot towards the center of the racquet keeps the string you pulled through inside the racquet. Doing this with the tail end on a parnell, or the tail end of the second half-hitch, is inefficient. You end up having to pull out and back many times, which is bad for the anchor string and the knot.

The Parnell knot is just a variation of the double half-hitch. They should be tightened in the same way, even if they are not tied the same way. The only reason you have to tie the entire Parnell knot before tightening (unlike the double half-hitch) is because once you tighten the first go round, the hole you need to put the string through is closed, making it impossible to complete the Parnell knot. Otherwise, you could just pull the tail and then finish it off like the double half-hitch.

I plan on doing a whole series of videos on knot tying. I'll go over ALL OF THIS on them.

kenshireen
03-03-2008, 07:36 PM
OK.. I can follow... One question... "double half hitch"... Is that in fact 2 inidividual half hitch knots or is it a single double half hitch... In otherwords, I usually do the OUT twice...I pull and tug the first and the second is like a safety knot.

Ken

diredesire
03-03-2008, 08:40 PM
OK.. I can follow... One question... "double half hitch"... Is that in fact 2 inidividual half hitch knots or is it a single double half hitch... In otherwords, I usually do the OUT twice...I pull and tug the first and the second is like a safety knot.

Ken

two single half hitches, aka double half hitch.

racingdad23
03-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Ok while we are on the subject about double half hitch and parnell knots. I use the double half hitch to tie off. On my kid's T-Fight 320 the crosses start so close to the tie off the first cross rubs against the main tie off knot. Is it hurting anything...no its not and its never caused a problem but I still dont like it. What I've been having to do to make the knot smaller (well not really smaller) is to tie a single half hitch snug it up real tight, release tension so it slides up a little way into the grommet and then tie the second half hitch. Now this is probably far worse than just letting the strings touch since in time Its going to widen out the grommet hole. My question though is....Is the parrnell a more compact knot? Would it extrude less from the grommet edge?

The Tfight 320 is the only racquet that I string that seems to have this problem.

jamauss
03-03-2008, 09:04 PM
racingdad - there are lots of racquets that have the tie-off holes very close to the opposite string holes. I'd say the Parnell knot is a little bit more compact but it takes some getting used to if you've only ever used 2 half-hitches. What you're doing with releasing the clamp after pulling the first half-hitch is fine. The 2nd half-hitch is just "securing" the knot anyway. It's the first half-hitch that holds the knot.

mdjenders
03-03-2008, 11:51 PM
Damn it. I was overzealous in rocking one of my Parnells back and forth with a pliers tonight (on a slick string), and the pliers slipped off the Blue Gear, sending the pliers point right into my head, making a nasty, painful bruise just above my right eye. That was way too close, so I best be getting a starting clamp to replace the pliers. I ordered one from Eagnas and it came rusty, so I will have to wait for TW to get them back in stock. Hopefully you get those knot videos up soon YULitle, because I am sure that my Parnell tightening is faulty.

YULitle
03-04-2008, 02:58 AM

Ken

This is exactly how I was explaining to do it. :D

Ok while we are on the subject about double half hitch and parnell knots. I use the double half hitch to tie off. On my kid's T-Fight 320 the crosses start so close to the tie off the first cross rubs against the main tie off knot. Is it hurting anything...no its not and its never caused a problem but I still dont like it. What I've been having to do to make the knot smaller (well not really smaller) is to tie a single half hitch snug it up real tight, release tension so it slides up a little way into the grommet and then tie the second half hitch. Now this is probably far worse than just letting the strings touch since in time Its going to widen out the grommet hole. My question though is....Is the parrnell a more compact knot? Would it extrude less from the grommet edge?

The Tfight 320 is the only racquet that I string that seems to have this problem.

Parnell usually makes this a non-issue. I was having the same problem with a N6-1 Tour back in the day and that's why I switched, and I never went back.

Damn it. I was overzealous in rocking one of my Parnells back and forth with a pliers tonight (on a slick string), and the pliers slipped off the Blue Gear, sending the pliers point right into my head, making a nasty, painful bruise just above my right eye. That was way too close, so I best be getting a starting clamp to replace the pliers. I ordered one from Eagnas and it came rusty, so I will have to wait for TW to get them back in stock. Hopefully you get those knot videos up soon YULitle, because I am sure that my Parnell tightening is faulty.

I never tighten with anything but a starting clamp. It's too dangerous. And for this reason.

Zhou
03-04-2008, 03:42 AM
Yeah, I almost got nailed myself because I don't have a starting clamp and was really eager to start.

themitchmann
03-04-2008, 06:24 AM

If you tighten with pliers, grab the string with the pliers, then twist it around the jaws of the pliers. Then hold the pliers by the jaws instead of the handles. This should help. Also, try not to pull towards your head, and just position yourself slightly off so that you won't get hit again. I had the same problem years ago, and ended up gouging myself in my eyebrow...an inch or so lower, and I probably would have lost an eye.

P.S.---I'm waiting for my starting clamp to arrive. After watching YuLitle tighten, I decided that was a much better approach than pliers.

YULitle
03-04-2008, 06:31 AM
themitchman: good advice. I worked with a pro that did this. Why he never used our starting clamp, I still don't know. but, he wrapped it upwards of ten times. He didn't want to get hit either. :D

Belmonte13
03-04-2008, 08:35 AM
on the subject of nicks and bruises, i just stabbed myself in the hand with an awl as i was trying to pry out the staple hold in the bottom of a grip.....struck a little vein in my left hand and had two handfuls of blood to cleanup......be careful with awls!!!!

YULitle
03-04-2008, 08:49 AM
Yes! I stabbed myself with one installing a bumper guard once. I bled all over the racquet. It was a mess. Also be careful when weaving polys using the push method. If the string catches, don't slide your hand back like normal, the sharp tip will stab you. :) I know from experience. :(