PDA

View Full Version : My Dilemma

Kingofthecourt67
03-03-2008, 07:30 PM
I am on the varsity tennis team at school and I have a case of tennis elbow which I have made a thread about previously. I had ben using Head Sonic Polys for 4 months on a Prince Hybrid Hornet Oversized until I started serving everyday. Then my arm started hurting a lot and I had tennis elbow. I bought my second raquet, same type, with Luxilon Alu Power Rough mains and Biphase crosses. I didn't play with this raquet for a while(2-3 weeks) as I was sticking with my old combo. However, my Sonics broke one day and I started using the hybrids. My play deterioated, I got no top spin, I was hitting out a lot, but my arm felt a lot better. I should mention that my raquet with the hybrids feels lighter( I don't know if this has anything to do with it).

Here is the pattern of the last few weeks: I rest on the weekends and my arm slowly feels worse and worse up till Friday(I play everyday). Now when using the hybrids, my arm wasn't that bad

I have a problem choosing which direction to go with stringing because I am close to cutting my hyrbids. I certainly want a string not harsh on the arm but I want the playability like my Head Sonics(which I can use as long as I don't serve).

Oh one more thing, I am considering lead tape for my lighter racquet.

racquet_jedi
03-03-2008, 07:35 PM
I am on the varsity tennis team at school and I have a case of tennis elbow which I have made a thread about previously. I had ben using Head Sonic Polys for 4 months on a Prince Hybrid Hornet Oversized until I started serving everyday. Then my arm started hurting a lot and I had tennis elbow. I bought my second raquet, same type, with Luxilon Alu Power Rough mains and Biphase crosses. I didn't play with this raquet for a while(2-3 weeks) as I was sticking with my old combo. However, my Sonics broke one day and I started using the hybrids. My play deterioated, I got no top spin, I was hitting out a lot, but my arm felt a lot better. I should mention that my raquet with the hybrids feels lighter( I don't know if this has anything to do with it).

Here is the pattern of the last few weeks: I rest on the weekends and my arm slowly feels worse and worse up till Friday(I play everyday). Now when using the hybrids, my arm wasn't that bad

I have a problem choosing which direction to go with stringing because I am close to cutting my hyrbids. I certainly want a string not harsh on the arm but I want the playability like my Head Sonics(which I can use as long as I don't serve).

This sounds a bit like me...

I had my racquet strung with full poly one day and after that, my arm hurt a lot, my serve really hurt it...

I had it restrung with full synthetic and my arm didn't hurt as much, but it still hurt a lot on my serve...

I finally figured out that I was pronating my forearm too forcefully and in the wrong direction...

Now that I fixed that, my arm doesn't hurt all that much anymore...

Try using Head Sonic in the mains and the Biphase in the crosses, see if that seems similar to the full Head Sonic...

Kingofthecourt67
03-03-2008, 08:03 PM
Oh I failed to mention that the the hybrids are strung at 58, with 60 beind average for my racquet. Also, the mains are moving a lot as of right now.

vince916
03-03-2008, 08:10 PM
You have tennis elbow already in high school?

Tim W
03-03-2008, 08:16 PM
It could just be a bit of over-use.I got mild tendinitis from really stiff strings, and that isn't very fun.

Kingofthecourt67
03-03-2008, 10:10 PM
Yeah, I was surprised I had it too. I believe it is a combination of having a really light racquet, full poly strings, and a poor serve.

Babb
03-04-2008, 02:17 PM
I'm so afraid when I hear horror stories like this about polyester tearing up the arm. I have a light racquet (10.4), polyester mains @ 65, and a western fh grip. I also play at least every other day for a few hours.

Kingofthecourt67
03-07-2008, 08:09 PM
Ok I broke the hybrids and I was starting to play a little better with the, however, I didn't like the feel too much. Does anyone have recommendations for my strings that would be good with racquet? I am going to have poly mains and something that has good feel for the crosses but has good durability.

I am leaning towards keeping the Head Sonic for mains. Any ideas?

rorourboat320
03-08-2008, 08:35 PM
i'm a high school tennis player too but i haven't had experience with tennis elbow at all. honestly don't know what would be a good pair with the head sonic but i play with big ace and syn gut titans. they feel softs and haven't given me any trouble at all. much better than the luxilon IMO. durability is great and price is amazing too, especially for me since my parents pay for my strings because they aren't as expensive as the strings i've been using before. idk if this will help you but good luck!

miniRafa386
03-08-2008, 08:47 PM

try the sonic pro and the biphase. or sonic pro and any other soft string

samster
03-08-2008, 10:26 PM
if your elbow goes, it doesn't matter what your string is.