PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong?

thehustler
03-03-2008, 08:05 PM
I've had 2 string jobs recently break at the tie off on the mains. One string job lasted about 2 weeks, so I felt kind of ok on that one. The other however lasted since Saturday and broke tonight. It broke on the tie-off which I thought was weird. The other one it looks like the tie-off came undone or something like that. It doesn't look like anything is broken, but the tie-off maybe was too tight or too loose. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here. I have the gamma 602 progression, I'm stringing at 61lbs with CyberFlash Topspin string on my O3 Tour racket.

The only thing I'm doing different than I was when I started is I think I'm stringing properly now. I was told by my old pro shop that I should start in the middle and go about 3 out on one side and then go out 5 on the other side and then finish one side and then finish the other on the mains. Before I would start by stringing in the middle and complete one side first, usually the short side and then string the other side. When I did that I noticed that the mains didn't hold tension for as long as I'd like, but with what I'm doing now it holds tension much better and boy oh boy do I make some awesome contact with the way it's strung.

I hope this is enough info. If not please let me know what else I can do. I always seem to struggle with the tie-off for some reason. Sometimes I get 'em really good and it's great, other times I struggle to get that last main or cross nice and snug. I've watched the videos on here but I feel like I'm missing something. Perhaps a starting clamp is what I need to help tie-off better? TIA.

dancraig
03-03-2008, 08:24 PM
On the one that came untied, did you cut the knot tail too short?

diredesire
03-03-2008, 08:39 PM
What kind of tie off did you use? It is hard for a poly knot to come undone, with the assumption that the knot was cinched up properly. I assume you are stringing a one piece since you mentioned a 'short side.' If you are stringing two pieces, make sure you are using the correct starting knot (you can crush the anchor string, which would lead to breakage).

thehustler
03-03-2008, 09:23 PM
I don't think I cut the knot too short. In looking at the one that's still tied the knot isn't too short. The other one could be, but since it's broken at the knot I can't tell for sure. As for the tie off I used I just looped the string around and then put the string thru the hole and tied it off. I'm doing 2 piece stringing. The biggest problem I seem to have with a tie off is getting that last string to hold the tension. I've been told to string the last main/cross before the tie off at a few lbs more to compensate for a little tension loss when I go to tie off. I've watched others tie off and not lose tension, but I seem to struggle. I'll pull the tension and then clamp, then thread it thru the hole to tie off and tie off, but it seems that once I do I lose tension on that last main or cross. I'm not sure why I lose tension or if it's something simple that I'm not doing. If any other info is needed please let me know. TIA.

jamauss
03-03-2008, 09:25 PM
Are you sure you're not a victim of the string shearing because you made contact near the frame?

diredesire
03-03-2008, 09:35 PM
I don't think I cut the knot too short. In looking at the one that's still tied the knot isn't too short. The other one could be, but since it's broken at the knot I can't tell for sure. As for the tie off I used I just looped the string around and then put the string thru the hole and tied it off. I'm doing 2 piece stringing. The biggest problem I seem to have with a tie off is getting that last string to hold the tension. I've been told to string the last main/cross before the tie off at a few lbs more to compensate for a little tension loss when I go to tie off. I've watched others tie off and not lose tension, but I seem to struggle. I'll pull the tension and then clamp, then thread it thru the hole to tie off and tie off, but it seems that once I do I lose tension on that last main or cross. I'm not sure why I lose tension or if it's something simple that I'm not doing. If any other info is needed please let me know. TIA.

If you are stringing two piece, you should probably learn how to tie a starting knot. I should also mention that Cyberflash, which is a softer copoly is a little more susceptible to shearing (breaking at the tip). However, since you mention the breakage happens at the knot(s), it would suggest to me poor knot tying practice. Check this link out:

http://www.keohi.com/tennis/misc/knots.htm#Starting%20Knot

HTH, JD

thehustler
03-03-2008, 09:49 PM
If you are stringing two piece, you should probably learn how to tie a starting knot. I should also mention that Cyberflash, which is a softer copoly is a little more susceptible to shearing (breaking at the tip). However, since you mention the breakage happens at the knot(s), it would suggest to me poor knot tying practice. Check this link out:

http://www.keohi.com/tennis/misc/knots.htm#Starting%20Knot

HTH, JD

Thanks for the link. I'll try again. I'm guessing the parnell knot is probably the best thing to do for a tie off on the mains and crosses? I just want to do this darn thing right. Is there a best way to pull the knot tight? Is it just with a pair of needle nose pliers or should I pull tension after I've tied that last knot?

dancraig
03-04-2008, 03:54 PM
I don't think you want to pull tension on a knot. When you make your first knot loop, pull the string out to the side with your needle nosed pliers and "cinch" it up. Then finish the knot