PDA

View Full Version : Racquet Customization and Racquet Matching

KBlade Pro
03-03-2008, 08:42 PM
Hi All,

Just recently joined the message boards but I've been playing tennis for 20 years. I played most HS and some sections, and now I'm about a 5.0.

I'm just wondering how manny people customize their racquets and match their racquets. If you did, did you find it to be helpful? Could you really notice the difference? And lastly, did you do it yourself or did you use a service?

KBlade Pro

LanEvo
03-03-2008, 08:45 PM
well itd depend on ur playing to tell a differnce on a customization or not, id say for ur lvl a 5.0, most definately ud be able to tell a difference, and as for customization it can be helpful and it may not be helpful, youd just have to experiment with it

jasonchu
03-03-2008, 10:48 PM
absolutely. i match all my rackets. tried a "blind testing once" with 3 head rackets and they all played differently at the same tension. one of them was almost 2 pts off balance with the others and it was lighter. with some lead tape in the right place (inside the grip), it was closer, but still not the same feel. sent all three back to the head customer service center about one being 2 pts off and they replaced it. nice customer service!

in the end there is natural variation in racquet weights ... unless you buy a no tolerance racquet like the fischer mcomp95 .... you will notice differences in total mass, swing weight and balance.....

and they will play differently....

using a service is faster ... but you can do it yourself easily. http://www.racquetresearch.com/customizing.htm
is a good guide

mattyc
03-04-2008, 08:55 AM
i thoroughly recommend buying some $20 pocket digital scales. mine. i bout off "the bay" are .1g accurate. With this and a balance board (a broom stick works.....) you can pretty much match ur bats to a level that makes them feel 99% the same.

dont get bogged down too much with racquet customization until you have a solid technical game. Most of the time adding weight will do more harm than good unless you are certain that particular gains can only be made by adding more weight,