PDA

View Full Version : string savers on federer, sampras, henman, hewitt and a few others

iambt21
03-03-2008, 09:57 PM
I am trying to conclude why the top pros in the world are using string savers. I do not believe that it is for saving string. IF anyone educated or with good tennis experience has any idea i am interested in figuring this out.

My guess is to keep the strings in place...but thats about all i have. And potentially to add a bit of tension to the strings.

scotus
03-03-2008, 10:17 PM
I don't know about others. But regarding Sampras, I have read somewhere that he thinks that the playability of gut gets better as it wears out and is at its best near the point of breaking. So he actually tries to prolong its life by using the string savers so that he can play longer with the used gut.

goakka
03-04-2008, 03:13 AM
I've also herd that the string savers will give more bite on the ball because the string sticks out more.
but I have never used them my self so I can't tell you if this is true

Lambsscroll
03-04-2008, 05:30 AM
I think Fed uses them to increase the swing weight in that area. I only say this because the K 90 has such a weird feeling swing weight.

jazar
03-04-2008, 08:46 AM
I don't know about others. But regarding Sampras, I have read somewhere that he thinks that the playability of gut gets better as it wears out and is at its best near the point of breaking. So he actually tries to prolong its life by using the string savers so that he can play longer with the used gut.

i would agree with that school of thought. the times i have used natural gut i have felt it played much better the longer i used it

bsandy
03-04-2008, 08:52 AM
They way Roger uses them, they keep the mains from moving.

Haas covers his entire sweetspot with them. He needs this for it hard flat strokes.

Pete used to put them in, as his strings started to fray.

. . . Bud

nickb
03-04-2008, 09:41 AM
I think Fed uses them to increase the swing weight in that area. I only say this because the K 90 has such a weird feeling swing weight.

You think federer cant get wilson to change the swing weight / weight distribution of his stick and instead has to use string savers? LOL

nickb
03-04-2008, 09:44 AM
Pro's need to know that a string isnt going to pop and cost them a point...that is the reason the pro's (using soft strings like gut) use them.

Nick

TNT16
03-04-2008, 10:35 AM

By a few milligrams?

JavierLW
03-04-2008, 02:01 PM

I would imagine this is the major factor for all of them.

Just because you have a giant bag full of racquets doesnt mean that you want the string to break on your current racquet if it doesnt have to.

What if you are on in the zone during the match? I would think most players (whether it's reasonable or not) do not want their string breaking which could possibly lead to going to a racquet that is (in error) slightly different in feel.

Besides if they used NG mains (like Federer) or all Natural Gut they probally would need an entourage of people to carry out all the racquets they would need just for one match because their strings would end up broken pretty much every other point.

iambt21
03-04-2008, 05:24 PM
great. intelligent responses. thanks.

Lambsscroll
03-06-2008, 04:55 AM
You think federer cant get wilson to change the swing weight / weight distribution of his stick and instead has to use string savers? LOL

I'm sure he can. But then that particular option for tweaking his racket for different tournaments is negated. Again I think he may use them for this reason I'm not sure though. The k 90 has that part of the racket increased in weight.

iambt21
03-06-2008, 09:25 AM
i would agree with that school of thought. the times i have used natural gut i have felt it played much better the longer i used it

After considering all factors. I think this is the main reason as well. and secondary it would be ot tighten the strings and get a stiffer feel.

nickb
03-06-2008, 11:31 AM
I'm sure he can. But then that particular option for tweaking his racket for different tournaments is negated. Again I think he may use them for this reason I'm not sure though. The k 90 has that part of the racket increased in weight.

I can 100% tell you he does not use them for that reason...

Nick

phamster
03-06-2008, 12:14 PM
After considering all factors. I think this is the main reason as well. and secondary it would be ot tighten the strings and get a stiffer feel.

agreed by me.. to tighten the strings temporarly or to stiffen them !!!! for sure..

phamster

v205
08-26-2009, 06:52 PM
He should have just used uncoated gut?

SoCal10s
08-26-2009, 08:40 PM
I tell all my players to use string savers because I hate stringing rackets all the time,but I heard that R-Fed uses them because he says he gets a bit more 'feel' on certain shots and that it gives him more control on the volleys ...

ClubHoUno
08-26-2009, 09:16 PM

You must be joking or you have never held a stringsaver in your hand. Federer might be able to tell if a swingweight is up or down with a gram or half a gram, but Federe uses 9 string savers in his K90 and this has abolutely NOTHING to do with swingweight.

You must be joking - 9 stringsavers weigh less than 0.1 gram.
Fed uses them for two reasons:

1. He tend to miss towards the top of the sweetspot, and strings are fragile towards the top of the racquet, so he covers the tophalf of all his racquet with 9 stringsavers.
2. They will keep the mains from moving too much and tighten the tophalf of the stringbed a bit

aimr75
08-26-2009, 10:04 PM
why do people dig up and post in old threads?

corners
08-27-2009, 06:15 PM
why do people dig up and post in old threads?

Good question.

But I think Fed's pattern is to protect from breakage on this serve: he makes contact in the upper part of the stringbed when serving (many top players do) - and that's where he puts the stringsavers.