PDA

View Full Version : The best strings on the market

dt101
03-03-2008, 10:29 PM
Back when I was in high school (the mid 1990's) the strings that I always used were the Gamma TNT 18 guage. It costed $25(parts and labor).

My question for everyone here who knows more about this than me is this: is there something even better than the TNT 18 guage strings? I don't care too much about durability. I care about playbility. I want similar to the TNT 18g strings but better but not too expensive like the VS natural gut by Babalot. What are my options? What are people using these days.

dtrain
03-03-2008, 10:49 PM
I don't know how much it is to get it strung at a shop since i am a home stringer, but you might want to try Wilson NXT, Gamma Live Wire, or even Babolat Xcel Premium.

Valjean
03-04-2008, 03:02 AM
The current closest upgrade to what you were used to is Babolat's Xcel Power, just out too. However, while it is available in 17 gauge, it is not out yet in an 18. Of that type my recommendation to you would be LaserFibre's SuperNatural Phenom XRC 18. Gamma does have its TNT2 18 out. If you want to consider gut and don't like its price, Babolat puts out half sets of VS that you can combine with a synthetic of your choice.

Lambsscroll
03-04-2008, 05:33 AM
I would have to say 16g BDE rally natural gut at 24 dollars.

dt101
03-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Hey everyone, thanks for all your help! :)

If there is anyone else out there who can offer a suggestion then feel free to reply. I have been out of the tennis scene for a while and now I am making a comeback.

dt101
03-04-2008, 09:27 PM
I would have to say 16g BDE rally natural gut at 24 dollars.

Is that price for parts and labor or just for parts? I heard natural gut plays much better than syntheic but what about the new stuff like luxor strings...what's the deal with that? Does it take a little of getting used to in order to play relly well with those 16g BDE natural gut?

Valjean
03-05-2008, 03:04 AM
Natural gut strings have a range from durability to playability like nylon does. Unfortunately, there are also some extremely fragile guts out there, and typically they are found among the least expensive/well known. At least be careful seeking your holy grail there.

Lambsscroll
03-06-2008, 08:05 AM
Is that price for parts and labor or just for parts? I heard natural gut plays much better than syntheic but what about the new stuff like luxor strings...what's the deal with that? Does it take a little of getting used to in order to play relly well with those 16g BDE natural gut?

That's for parts here at TW. It will last me months and I usually cut it out before it loses its performance. I'm always experimenting with tension and stuff. Gut will give you bite on the ball, feel and power. It will break before it loses its elasticity. Luxilon Big Banger ALU is a great string but doesn't give me as much feel.

Airwolf
03-06-2008, 08:59 AM
Pacific X force 18g and Luxilon Ace 18g are two very playable 18g polys....IMO.

dt101
03-14-2008, 02:01 AM
What is the best value natural gut strings available? I used to play with TNT2 18g and I liked it. It costed me $25 to get it strung at a shop. Is there something that plays even better and is not too expensive. I am buying the Gamma X-2 stringer soon and I will eventually learn how to string my own rackets so I can finally afford to play with natural gut. I usually like to take long loopy swings btw, so what do you think is a good natural gut string that is suited for my style?

dt101
03-14-2008, 02:02 AM
Pacific X force 18g and Luxilon Ace 18g are two very playable 18g polys....IMO.

more playable than TNT 18g?

PBODY99
03-14-2008, 03:10 AM
With the style you mentioned, and the nature of the current game, you may want try a 1.20 mm Multi in your mains with a similar gauge poly as the cross. TNT 18 is about 1.20mm if you measure it.

Valjean
03-14-2008, 04:19 AM
What is the best value natural gut strings available? I used to play with TNT2 18g and I liked it. It costed me $25 to get it strung at a shop. Is there something that plays even better and is not too expensive. I am buying the Gamma X-2 stringer soon and I will eventually learn how to string my own rackets so I can finally afford to play with natural gut. I usually like to take long loopy swings btw, so what do you think is a good natural gut string that is suited for my style?
How often do you break your NRG2? Is that too often? Problem is, when you say, as you have, that playability matters, you have a tough choice before you--in that value guts either break quickly or come in lacking the playability you want. You may need to hybrid Babolat VS (which comes in half sets too) with a multi to get just what you want.

TNT16
03-14-2008, 04:48 AM
Back when I was in high school (the mid 1990's) the strings that I always used were the Gamma TNT 18 guage. It costed $25(parts and labor).

My question for everyone here who knows more about this than me is this: is there something even better than the TNT 18 guage strings? I don't care too much about durability. I care about playbility. I want similar to the TNT 18g strings but better but not too expensive like the VS natural gut by Babalot. What are my options? What are people using these days.

I would check out Gamma TNT2 or Tecnifibre NRG2.

hyogen
03-14-2008, 11:57 PM
bought some gut strings for the first time.

I think my first setup was with luxilon crosses and Tonic gut mains that i had for a while in my Head Classic Tour when i bought it from TW. It was awesome on groundstrokes.

for some reason i dunno why someone would use luxilon crosses...is it for the spin? the power? because the strings don't move?

I'm probably gonna go all gut for my first try with it. What tension should i start off with? maybe I'll go with mid tension +2 lbs...

Bad Dog
03-15-2008, 07:00 AM
I'm probably gonna go all gut for my first try with it. What tension should i start off with? maybe I'll go with mid tension +2 lbs...

That is a decent place to start; if you string gut more than once, you may discover that you prefer to go with even lower tension. Even Federer’s natural gut mains are in the low 50’s.

My suggestion: Do NOT pre-stretch. Vigorous pre-stretching may damage or severely reduce natural gut’s amazing ball “cupping” or “pocketing” capability. :)

These are just my personal opinions, and others are free to disagree.

kungfusmkim
03-15-2008, 07:20 AM
WEED WACKER - the best string!!!!

Pro_Tour_630
03-15-2008, 08:25 AM
First TNT 18g from the 90's is not the same as todays TNT, today we have TNT2 which has pearl coating. I preferred the discontinued older TNT 18g. similar to why I do not like wearguard or duraflex

if you like 18g tnt and want more playability NRG2 18g or X1 biphase 18g should be your top choices IMO

If hybrids are your thing, try Bow natural gut 18g mains ($15) with Gosen 18g cross ($1.50) ( most economical) or Bow 18g mains with NRG18g cross or even biphase 18g mains since it is more durable with Bow 18g cross.

most economical straight NG that is the thinnest is
Klip legend 18g is nice but might feel thick if you are use to TNT18g which is very thin

Oh and BTW there is no best string on the market only what you are used to will be the best