PDA

View Full Version : What will weight in the handle do?

almerickso
03-04-2008, 12:44 AM
Ok stupid question...

What are the effects on the racquet if you put more weight on the handle?

Other than making it more head light, what are the other effects on the racquet?

weaver
03-04-2008, 06:50 AM
adding weight to anything tends to usually give you more power...

PED
03-04-2008, 07:49 AM
Putting weight in or on the handle will make your stick more headlight and give you a bit more racquet head speed since the weight has shifted down more towards the handle. I will mention that on some sticks, it will "deaden" the feeling a bit but will also add to the feeling of solidness. I've got around 8 grams on the handle of my APDC and I really like the more headlight nature of the stick as well as the improved stability on volleys. Give it a shot.

You will tend to gain power when you add weight to the head-especially at the top of the hoop.

mattyc
03-04-2008, 08:50 AM
despite what many people think, adding weight to the handle still increase the swing weight.

also you can change the location of the sweetspot. unless you counter balance additional handle weight with extra in the head, applying load only to the handle will drag the sweet spot lower down in the hoop.

notujoo
03-04-2008, 09:07 AM
more swing weight and also more head light

almerickso
03-04-2008, 09:14 AM
so since leather grips add more weight to the handle, it's better to counter weight by putting lead up the hoop?

PED
03-04-2008, 09:16 AM
Almerickso, what type of stick are you thinking of modifying and what are you trying to accomplish?

scotus
03-04-2008, 09:37 AM
Although adding weight to the handle does not decrease the swing weight, it allows you to increase the weight of the racquet while minimizing the increase in its swing weight.

There is also a certain poster who comes on this board once in a while who is convinced that the weight placed in a particular place above the handle will make a difference between a Wimbledon champ and a nobody.

almerickso
03-04-2008, 09:45 AM
PED: I usually like my racquets with leather grip but i tend to hit the towards the upper middle part of the racquet... just about 1/3 way down from 12 o clock.

I was wondering if it is necessary to lead up the hoop to counterbalance since most posters say that the sweet spot will be shifted lower...

i'm currently using a tt warrior with gamma leather and just got an o3 white which i'm thinking of replacing the grip to leather as well.

Gee
03-04-2008, 10:29 AM
Consult this page on the USRSA website http://www.racquettech.com/store/learningcenter/lc_swingweight.html
Hopefully this is useful information to you. :)

JavierLW
03-04-2008, 01:30 PM
Ok stupid question...

What are the effects on the racquet if you put more weight on the handle?

Other than making it more head light, what are the other effects on the racquet?

I do it to get more feedback from my light racquet. (nSixTwo) It's more weight right in my hand which helps me to know how I am swinging.

It increases swingweight but not as dramatically as when you put it further away from the handle.