PDA

View Full Version : Poly with extra dwell time and pocketing effect

Kokopelli
03-04-2008, 07:29 AM
I'm a chronic string breaker.

My rackets are the 80's Kennex Black Ace (54 stiffness, 14+ oz) and Yonex RD-7 (low 50's stiffness, and lead up to almost 14 oz).

I've tried Cyberflash @ 54lbs. While it's a durable string, it felt as though the ball just doesn't "stay on the string bed" long enough. Thus, I'm looking for a poly that would provide me with a greater dwell time and a more pocketing effect.

I just ordered some Blue Gear.

Please help with your suggestions.

PED
03-04-2008, 07:39 AM
Which size of Blue gear did you order? I find the 1.28 offers the best overall spin. I usually hybrid my BG but string my mains at 54 and the pocketing is excellent but one difference is that I'm using it in a Bab aero so the feeling might be different since the Bab is around 67 on stiffness compared with your 54. I think you'll like it.

Kokopelli
03-04-2008, 07:41 AM
I ordered the 1.28 Blue Gear.

PED
03-04-2008, 07:43 AM
You should love it. I will mention that it's not that crisp of a string but the action you get on the ball is really nice, plus it's a lot of fun to use.

jcstennis
SPPP has good dwell... try hybriding the CF with a soft multi (that'll do the trick) :)

Do you break the CF a lot?

nickb
If you want more pocketing try Pro Supex Big Ace and Topspin CyberPower.

Nick

jcstennis
03-04-2008, 07:44 AM
You should love it. I will mention that it's not that crisp of a string but the action you get on the ball is really nice, plus it's a lot of fun to use.

MUCHO fun... still love my BG/BA (PT63) combo!!!

PED
03-04-2008, 07:45 AM
Nick, what happened to the alu. I see from your sig that you are using PSGD?

03-04-2008, 07:49 AM
Also nick can you do a short comaprison of BA and CP??

Kokopelli
03-04-2008, 07:50 AM
SPPP has good dwell... try hybriding the CF with a soft multi (that'll do the trick) :)

Do you break the CF a lot?

No, I don't break CF often. I'm very pleased with its durability.

PED
03-04-2008, 07:51 AM
There was a thread a few weeks back on that very topic of BA vs CP. It's a great thread and will tell you all you want to know. They are similar strings but which you like better will depend on your needs. I prefer BA to CP, but still like CP. I do prefer the 1.25 CP to the 1.20 CP.

nickb
03-04-2008, 07:51 AM
Nick, what happened to the alu. I see from your sig that you are using PSGD?

Hey PED!,

I went back to natural gut for a while and now back to using syn guts like PSGD, Gosen etc. The ALU wrecked my arm (hence the gut)...I could feel it inside my elbow..nasty sore pain every time I play. Ive decided to ditch all the polys and just use softer strings for the sake of my health...

I would use the gut but I break it all the time and for 22 a set I just cant afford it....

Nick

PED
03-04-2008, 07:53 AM
I know what you mean on the alu. I only use it around 1/2 the time and it does cause me a little bit of discomfort as compared to BA or CP.

Kokopelli
03-04-2008, 07:55 AM
I will try the SPPP, Big Ace and Cyberpower if I don't like the Blue Gear.

Regarding the 1.28 Blue Gear I just ordered.
Which will give me a MORE pocketing effect?
1) 100% BG? or
2) BG mains with synthetic or multi crosses?

Thanks for all your inputs!!!

PED
03-04-2008, 07:57 AM
IMO, the hybrid with BG will give you more pocketing than full BG and give you a little more zip to your shot as well. The grooves in BG don't do anything in the crosses anyway...

The pocketing is very nice in BA as well, I've got a hybrid with BA 1.17mm in the mains and the pocketing is outstanding-especially now that spring as arrived and the temps are warmer.

Cup8489
03-04-2008, 08:04 AM
IMO, the hybrid with BG will give you more pocketing than full BG and give you a little more zip to your shot as well. The grooves in BG don't do anything in the crosses anyway...

The pocketing is very nice in BA as well, I've got a hybrid with BA 1.17mm in the mains and the pocketing is outstanding-especially now that spring as arrived and the temps are warmer.

i wish that were true here....the last few days it had a good melt, got up to 70 degrees, but the courts werent completely done drying, and now its all froze ovr again....probably gonna have to spend 115 to join the club...i really am hoping for a divine intervention...

but on topic, the Cyberpower is very good for ball pocketing, a soft poly that is plenty durable.

Kcraig
03-04-2008, 08:31 AM
Hey PED!,

I went back to natural gut for a while and now back to using syn guts like PSGD, Gosen etc. The ALU wrecked my arm (hence the gut)...I could feel it inside my elbow..nasty sore pain every time I play. Ive decided to ditch all the polys and just use softer strings for the sake of my health...

I would use the gut but I break it all the time and for 22 a set I just cant afford it....

Nick

NICKB is the official "string pimp" of TW Talk Tennis!!:twisted:

nickb
03-04-2008, 09:39 AM
NICKB is the official "string pimp" of TW Talk Tennis!!:twisted:

Im not sure if thats a good or bad thing :)

Nick

Kcraig
03-04-2008, 09:46 AM
Im not sure if thats a good or bad thing :)

Nick

All good--just means you "love em then leave em!":) Believe me--I am not too far behind at all!!!:evil:

03-04-2008, 09:55 AM
I wouldnt call him a pimp. I would call him a string $lut :)

PROTENNIS63
03-04-2008, 10:13 AM
Big Ace would have more pocketing than Blue Gear.

no djok
03-04-2008, 11:05 AM
How does the blue gear compare to pht...pocketing, spin, power, tension, durability? I am thinking of trying these strings out. Have been using full pht at 63lbs since swithcing from bb originals

blackfrido
03-07-2008, 06:23 AM
If you want more pocketing try Pro Supex Big Ace and Topspin CyberPower.

Nick

Hi Nick
I just bought a set of Pro Supex Big Ace and I'm looking for more pocketing/dwell time that I did not find yet in any polys.
Would you recommend going hybrid with Pro Supex Big Ace? or just full poly? I have couple of sets of PSGD, Gamma's, etc to use.......

thanks!

Casco
03-07-2008, 06:33 AM
I'm a chronic string breaker.

My rackets are the 80's Kennex Black Ace (54 stiffness, 14+ oz) and Yonex RD-7 (low 50's stiffness, and lead up to almost 14 oz).

I've tried Cyberflash @ 54lbs. While it's a durable string, it felt as though the ball just doesn't "stay on the string bed" long enough. Thus, I'm looking for a poly that would provide me with a greater dwell time and a more pocketing effect.

I just ordered some Blue Gear.

Please help with your suggestions.

Weiss Cannon Silverstring for sure.

sruckauf
03-07-2008, 12:09 PM
Kirschbaum Pro Line II