PDA

View Full Version : St Vincent question....

alternatennis
03-04-2008, 07:42 AM
anyone know if there were any models besides the st vincents that had recommended tension ranges 55-65 lbs written on the throat with a sticker?
I am just trying to ID a racquet I just bought. It may be early taiwan, but I was under the impression that Wilson changed the tension to 50-60 once the racquets moved away from St Vincent. Could this be a racquet that was started in St Vincent, and finished in Taiwan?

Buttcap says JRQ or possibly JRO, can't tell... need a microscope.

Bud
03-05-2008, 05:51 AM
anyone know if there were any models besides the st vincents that had recommended tension ranges 55-65 lbs written on the throat with a sticker?
I am just trying to ID a racquet I just bought. It may be early taiwan, but I was under the impression that Wilson changed the tension to 50-60 once the racquets moved away from St Vincent. Could this be a racquet that was started in St Vincent, and finished in Taiwan?

I think the started in SV, finished in Taiwan racquets had the squared-off grommet channel and the Taiwan buttcap. Does yours have the squared off grommet channels and red primer?

alternatennis
03-05-2008, 07:00 AM
I think the started in SV, finished in Taiwan racquets had the squared-off grommet channel and the Taiwan buttcap. Does yours have the squared off grommet channels and red primer?
it has the squared off grommets, and appears to be red primer above the handle

e2thec
03-05-2008, 07:25 AM
Check this post:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=1701319&postcount=8

Blank
03-05-2008, 07:27 AM

From my knowledge, no!

VGP
03-05-2008, 07:41 AM
IMO, it could be.

Pics would be great.

alternatennis
03-05-2008, 07:58 AM
I will try to get some up tonight. Just got it in today.

jorel
03-05-2008, 07:59 AM

look for red primer and a bumperguard... with those two criteria met, it is a st vincent for sure

alternatennis
03-05-2008, 10:24 AM
look for red primer and a bumperguard... with those two criteria met, it is a st vincent for sure
Just got out the magnifying glass.. the code on the bottom is definitely JRQ. red primer for sure, and all of the logos and writing look like stickers. it has a bumperguard and recommended tension of 55-65 lbs. i am now positive it is a st vincent. on the auction site, seller said the buttcap code was JRO, which kept the price down, but it is definitely a Q.

Lucky me

alternatennis
03-05-2008, 10:26 AM
Check this post:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=1701319&postcount=8
E2thec,
thanks for that info page. mine is definitely a #5 st vincent pro staff from that chart. Also, thanks for selling me that POG tour series 90. I can't wait to compare these 2 classic sticks!

jorel
03-05-2008, 11:51 AM
Just got out the magnifying glass.. the code on the bottom is definitely JRQ. red primer for sure, and all of the logos and writing look like stickers. it has a bumperguard and recommended tension of 55-65 lbs. i am now positive it is a st vincent. on the auction site, seller said the buttcap code was JRO, which kept the price down, but it is definitely a Q.

Lucky me

guess ill have to bid on it too ;)

Bud
03-05-2008, 12:39 PM
IMO, it could be.

Pics would be great.

Naw, it's a Q. Most of the Q's look like O's on the SV frames.

Bud
03-05-2008, 12:40 PM

Lucky me

Oh, it's definitely a SV. Many people think the Q's are O's. What did you pay for it?

Bud
03-05-2008, 12:42 PM
guess ill have to bid on it too ;)

I thought he'd already won it :neutral:

alternatennis
03-05-2008, 01:25 PM
Oh, it's definitely a SV. Many people think the Q's are O's. What did you pay for it?

I gave $176.00 for it. I didn't know if it was a st vincent, but I figured, even if it wasn't I was willing to give $220 (my max bid) for it because it is in such great condition for an older PS frame. It is about an 8-8.5/10 condition wise. I had a hunch this was a st vinny when the seller said the recommended tension was 55-65. My girlfriend thought I was crazy bidding $220 for an older frame when I could still buy a new one on the auction site for $199. Now she understands. I showed her past ended auctions on st vincents. It is indeed a good day.

e2thec
03-05-2008, 03:53 PM
A new w/ warranty card SV went for $510 last week... I've heard they go for up to a grand from time to time.

drakulie
03-05-2008, 04:07 PM
Only problem with these frames is they tend to crack fairly quickly, which is why I finally switched.

I've actually bought a few St. Vincents off the auction site for around 20-50 dollars. I also have found a few in garage sales for one dollar.

chiru
03-05-2008, 04:30 PM
Only problem with these frames is they tend to crack fairly quickly, which is why I finally switched.

I've actually bought a few St. Vincents off the auction site for around 20-50 dollars. I also have found a few in garage sales for one dollar.

i think i suddenly hate you...i wonder why?

VGP
03-05-2008, 09:17 PM
drakulie's been into St. Vincents long before they were collectible. Also, he lives in Florida where there's lots of older people that were into tennis in the 80's.....

FWIW, I found a SV at my local sporting goods shop with case for $6 about a month or two ago. It was beat, but new plastic parts really cleaned it up.....