PDA

View Full Version : 2 different strings 1 racquet

pinniwinni
03-04-2008, 11:35 AM
I have just bought a new unstrung Wilson K Factor KSix-One 95 (16x18).

I am now doing my homework of how I want my racquet strung and I am finding more and more people mixing their strings.

What is to be gained from this?

What are the best combinations and why?

What level player do you have to be to feel the difference with this application?

Any help answering any of these question would be of great help.

YULitle
03-04-2008, 11:44 AM
1) Just another way to gain the "perfect" stringbed. Also, it is used to combine the durable features of one string with the playable features of another.
2) There is no such thing as best, only best for you. If there were, it'd be stickied up top.
3) Very touchy subject. You will not get a definite answer on this.

Rule here is experiment. If you want advice, tell us everything about what you like/dislike, what you want and how you play. :D

pinniwinni
03-04-2008, 12:07 PM
I am not sure how to rank myself, but have played on-off since I was 8, currently 40.

I like to hit hard with spin or flat.
On average I have a medium to fast swing.
I have yet to break a string,
I would love to get more spin without trying to get over the ball more.
My current racquet in a Wilson N-code with weight located more at the handle side, and the string are wavy from the spin shots (it annoying straightening them out)

This adds to my confusion since most people have a more defined game.

pinniwinni
03-04-2008, 12:10 PM
The strings that are wavy are the mains, don't know if that means anything.

miniRafa386
03-04-2008, 12:14 PM
for you, i would use a polyester string, like big banger alu, signum pro poly plasma, or topspin cyberpower. these kinds of strings dont do that much moving, and help generate spin. also, some have a little bit of power, like big banger, while others are control orientated, like signum pro.

pinniwinni
03-05-2008, 01:36 AM
do proffessionals mix their strings?

Wannabe
03-05-2008, 03:12 AM
Oh yeah! Fed does, Roddick does, Sampras does (now), Hewitt does. All od these mix poly with gut either way round. If, like me, you care about durability at all, I'd go with the gut in the crosses as otherwise the poly crosses will saw through the gut mains.

pinniwinni
03-05-2008, 05:04 AM
Do both strings get the same pressure?

Lets say I use gut for the cross and poly for the main, would you recommend both string have the same pressure regardless of the strings being different?

ledor
03-05-2008, 10:45 AM
Do both strings get the same pressure?

Lets say I use gut for the cross and poly for the main, would you recommend both string have the same pressure regardless of the strings being different?

Polys are usually string at 10%+ lower recommended tension opposed to the other combination, either multi/nat. gut.

http://www.colinthestringer.com/pros-strings/

...Shows some of this stringers old posts to what he strung.

BallBeemer
03-05-2008, 05:21 PM
This is called hybrid stringing. The string really has to be a persons opinion and based on what you prefer. I use Head Ultra Tour 17 in mains at 54 and Prince Synthetic Gut with Duraflex in the crosses at 52. Most of the pros also use this kind of stringing and the mains and crosses don't always have to be at the same tension. Once again, it is what you prefer.

pinniwinni
03-13-2008, 07:39 AM
I have purchased 2 different string and would like your opinion on which string should be used for the main and which string should be used for the cross.

The strings I would like to put on the racquet:
Babolat VS tough natural gut
Luxilon ALU power fluoro big banger
Thanks!

Casey10s
03-13-2008, 08:08 AM
I use:
BDE Perf 17 on the crosses
ALU Fluoro 123 on the mains

This plays very well for the first few matches and the Fluoro ends up losing tension so that I am flying balls deep. I get about 10 to 15 hours out of string job before I cut them out and put a new set in.

Just want you to be aware of the properites of the Fluoro.

For the decision on the mains and crosses, putting the gut on the crosses will give more power and in the mains will give you more control.

Noisy Ninja
03-13-2008, 08:15 AM
I have purchased 2 different string and would like your opinion on which string should be used for the main and which string should be used for the cross.

The strings I would like to put on the racquet:
Babolat VS tough natural gut
Luxilon ALU power fluoro big banger
Thanks!

I think you'll find opinions will vary greatly regarding what to use for main/cross; it's entirely a preference thing.
Personally, I would use natural gut in the mains; I lean towards a setup that accentuate feel and utilizing natural gut in the mains have provided that for me in the past.

Whatever choice you make...I highly recommend you take note of the various string setups and tensions used, durability (in hours), and impressions of each particular setup so that you can determine what setup works best for you in any particular setting/conditions. As well, utilizing a consistent stringing job (same stringing machine/stringing service) will help to ensure that there is a consistent constant to base your impressions.

Babb
03-13-2008, 08:49 AM
Pro Supex Big Ace 1.25 mains
Pro Supex Synthetic Gut Titan 1.25 crosses

It's good stuff.

CAM178
03-13-2008, 09:07 AM
See my sig. Gives me the pop of PSG, with the spin and weight of Lux. Just switched t ALU Pwr Rough instead of just ALU Pwr.

03-13-2008, 11:57 AM
Just use a synth gut as you dont break strings, or if you want the best natural gut

MLtennis
03-13-2008, 12:11 PM
At what level would you expect someone to seriously notice a difference in the way a raquet performs with different strings or with strings that have lost tension? Meaning, I'm playing 3.5 right now - I've been a 4.0 10 years ago in high school but now am coming back to the game. I started as a 3.0 in Oct., now am 3.5 - trying to get back to 4.0 and beyond. I've only tried a few different strings so far - Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour 16, Head Intelitour 16. I'm not sure I noticed much difference btw. the two but I switched months ago while I was still getting back into the basics. I just got some Luxilon Fluoro and plan to try that but considering adding a hybrid to it. I also now have 2 identical raquets so telling the difference should be much easier once I get them strung differently. Any suggestions for the hybrid would be great - see other thread I started earlier before I found this one - and just wondering how big a difference I can expect?

Thanks!

hyogen
03-13-2008, 12:37 PM
Polys are usually string at 10%+ lower recommended tension opposed to the other combination, either multi/nat. gut.

http://www.colinthestringer.com/pros-strings/

...Shows some of this stringers old posts to what he strung.

thanks for this link.

what I don't get is....why polys in the crosses?

I can understand the natural gut in the mains.

does it firm up the stringbed? for durability?

obviously these pros are making enough to not care about durability, right?

hyogen
03-13-2008, 12:38 PM
See my sig. Gives me the pop of PSG, with the spin and weight of Lux. Just switched t ALU Pwr Rough instead of just ALU Pwr.

i'm gonna have to try this. that kinda makes sense... put those strings in the crosses for pop. Is PSG the cheap prince synthetic gut? ahh.. with duraflex. How often do you restring? 20 hours? Or do you wait till one of the strings break? Cuz it's been said that Luxilon lose their tension relatively quickly.

Thanks,

shwetty[tennis]balls
03-13-2008, 12:42 PM
thanks for this link.

what I don't get is....why polys in the crosses?

I can understand the natural gut in the mains.

does it firm up the stringbed? for durability?

obviously these pros are making enough to not care about durability, right?

I've hit with the setup both ways and nat gut in the mains is 10 times better. The feel is a lot better, not as stiff. It's nice to be able to "feel" to the minutest detail what's going on thru your racquet. Enhanced feel is a big issue for me, and I imagine it is for any pro touring.
The poly in the crosses takes away the complete lively feel of the all gut setup. For most top touring pros, all gut is just too much gut. It can tend to vibrate too much for some, especially those who are constantly competing. It was never a problem for Pete, though.

hyogen
03-13-2008, 12:53 PM
balls;2157475']I've hit with the setup both ways and nat gut in the mains is 10 times better. The feel is a lot better, not as stiff. It's nice to be able to "feel" to the minutest detail what's going on thru your racquet. Enhanced feel is a big issue for me, and I imagine it is for any pro touring.
The poly in the crosses takes away the complete lively feel of the all gut setup. For most top touring pros, all gut is just too much gut. It can tend to vibrate too much for some, especially those who are constantly competing. It was never a problem for Pete, though.

so even though it takes away the lively feel you still put polys in crosses?

Here's what seems to work for me at least in the past with a couple different racquets so far. a stiff string at high tension like...Wilson Stamina in the mains. Allows me to get lots of topspin on my groundies. like 70lbs... And in the crosses a soft multifilament like Sensation with maybe 65lbs....to allow for a more ball pockety string bed. Does that make sense? or do I have it all wrong. I can serve relatively well with this setup as well.

To further improve this, I want to try natural gut, and maybe some Luxilon..

TNT16
03-13-2008, 01:03 PM
At what level would you expect someone to seriously notice a difference in the way a raquet performs with different strings or with strings that have lost tension? Meaning, I'm playing 3.5 right now - I've been a 4.0 10 years ago in high school but now am coming back to the game. I started as a 3.0 in Oct., now am 3.5 - trying to get back to 4.0 and beyond. I've only tried a few different strings so far - Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour 16, Head Intelitour 16. I'm not sure I noticed much difference btw. the two but I switched months ago while I was still getting back into the basics. I just got some Luxilon Fluoro and plan to try that but considering adding a hybrid to it. I also now have 2 identical raquets so telling the difference should be much easier once I get them strung differently. Any suggestions for the hybrid would be great - see other thread I started earlier before I found this one - and just wondering how big a difference I can expect?

Thanks!

You should definitely feel the difference.

shwetty[tennis]balls
03-13-2008, 01:23 PM
If it works for you then stick with it. I wouls suggest you try it. You might not feel much of a difference to start out with, but I can tell you that after having had this setup for the past few years and trying an all synthetic setup, the difference is outstanding. It really comes down to knowing everything that's going on with the racquet as you play, and nat gut allows you to "feel" things better than any other. I really don't know how to explain it better than this. Give it try, at least for two or three string jobs. I'd suggest, according to your current set up, nat gut in mains at 65-67 lbs and alu power rough in crosses at 2 lbs lower than what the mains are at.

hyogen
03-13-2008, 01:46 PM
that isn't necessarily my current setup. just one that I know i can hit pretty well with. what are your tension recommendations?

Also one last thing. to you, is it worth getting premium natural gut or is Tonic + good enough :o

pinniwinni
03-14-2008, 03:46 AM
NG in the mains - ALU flouro big banger in the cross

Racquet: Wilson K Factor KSix-One 95 (16x18)

Quetion:
What would be the best tension recommendations for this set up?

pinniwinni
03-14-2008, 03:59 AM
Babolat Ng for mains - ALU flouro big banger for cross

Racquet:Wilson K Factor KSix-One 95 (16x18)

Now, what tension recommendation would best fit this scenario without taking into consideration my personal type of play?

hyogen
03-14-2008, 11:17 PM
balls;2157544']If it works for you then stick with it. I wouls suggest you try it. You might not feel much of a difference to start out with, but I can tell you that after having had this setup for the past few years and trying an all synthetic setup, the difference is outstanding. It really comes down to knowing everything that's going on with the racquet as you play, and nat gut allows you to "feel" things better than any other. I really don't know how to explain it better than this. Give it try, at least for two or three string jobs. I'd suggest, according to your current set up, nat gut in mains at 65-67 lbs and alu power rough in crosses at 2 lbs lower than what the mains are at.

hey shwetty! contrary to what I thought, YOUR setup was much better than my instinct to go with Luxilon mains, and NXT crosses.

I did 66lbs NXT mains, and 64lbs luxilon crosses. although this wasn't the most ideal for me--the other setup just sucked (luxilon mains at 54, NXT crosses at 56).

any ideas? I'm about to do either all natural gut (dunno what tension) or do a natural gut and other string hybrid? My question is...why put luxilon in the crosses? it'll eat up the mains... and it's stiff--doesn't it take away from the ball pocketing?