PDA

View Full Version : Racquet Extension and the Effects on Swingweight/Balance?

GasquetGOAT
03-04-2008, 01:15 PM
Does anyone know how to calculate the new static weight, swingweight and balance if I extend the racquet below by 0.5 inch? (done by professional)

98 sq. in. / 632 sq. cm.
Length: 27 inches / 69 cm
Strung Weight: 11.7oz / 332g
Balance: 8pts Head Light
Swingweight: 322

Thanks

GasquetGOAT
03-04-2008, 09:22 PM
bump..anyone?

counterpuncher
03-04-2008, 10:53 PM
SW you may be able to calculate (I would guess 5-10 points), but weight and balance will depend on what material the pro uses to extend the racquet, i.e. different foam compositions (which I assume is what the pro will use) will have different density and weight per volume. Typically when I have shortened racquets (about 3 times from memory) by 0.5 inch, the material I cut off weighed approximately 5 grams (if that helps).

GasquetGOAT
03-07-2008, 03:01 PM
SW you may be able to calculate (I would guess 5-10 points), but weight and balance will depend on what material the pro uses to extend the racquet, i.e. different foam compositions (which I assume is what the pro will use) will have different density and weight per volume. Typically when I have shortened racquets (about 3 times from memory) by 0.5 inch, the material I cut off weighed approximately 5 grams (if that helps).

Thanks for that.

Anyone here has done this?

GasquetGOAT
03-16-2008, 02:49 PM

so static weight + 5 grams and SW + 5-10 pts. How do you find change to balance?

counterpuncher
03-16-2008, 03:23 PM
so static weight + 5 grams and SW + 5-10 pts. How do you find change to balance?
I found the balance not to change that much 1-2 points, so it really wasn't an issue. As I shortened the racquets I was also able to add weight to the handle to restore the original balance. As you are going the other way and extending, it might be a little different, but it shouldn't be too noticeable.

sandflea
03-16-2008, 03:56 PM
I extended one of my rackets by .5 inches, it changed the the balance by 2 pts.

GasquetGOAT
04-16-2008, 07:43 AM
I extended one of my rackets by .5 inches, it changed the the balance by 2 pts.

was that 2 pts more headlight?

Strings And Things
05-07-2008, 10:21 PM
Does anyone know how to calculate the new static weight, swingweight and balance if I extend the racquet below by 0.5 inch? (done by professional)

98 sq. in. / 632 sq. cm.
Length: 27 inches / 69 cm
Strung Weight: 11.7oz / 332g
Balance: 8pts Head Light
Swingweight: 322

ThanksHow is it going to be extended? If the extension is just foam/handle pallet material, then that would seem weak. Do you know what method they will use?