PDA

View Full Version : multifeel in POG OS?

markwillplay
03-04-2008, 05:23 PM
what about this string. I have been asking about others but I wondered if anyone has used this one. I would think it would be soft but hold tension. I would use 16 gauge. I am just scared of the softflex and even nxt's because I would want something that would hit good as long as it lasted. I have heard that multifeel holds tension longer for a soft string.

I have also seen someone comment on head rip control for this stick.

sruckauf
03-04-2008, 06:05 PM
Hey. I am playing with the POG OS also. (new ones.. the 'Tour' designation) Here are some notes with my experiences with strings in the last 6 months or so. You can assume I've tried all the regular solid core synguts and they all play rather fine.. nothing surprising there.

- Multifeel 16: Quite a good string for this stick, if you're looking for a muted feel. The bite is good, the spin is average, and the feel I thought was above par. Decent durability for a multi. Moved around and notched quite a bit, which annoys me personally, but hey it's a multi.

- Prince Premiere w/Softflex 16: As a full job, too springy. Nice soft feel, but really too soft and springy. In a hybrid with Softflex as the main and a firmer cross like Gosen 16, really really like it in the POG OS, until it breaks, which is the biggest issue. I have not had this string last me more than about 4 sets.

- RIP Control 16: Great string IMO, if you like a very firm and powerless feel. Probably my favorite bridge string between a copoly and a multi. Liked it in the POG OS, but didn't give me enough feel in the end. Worth a try sometime just to experience it as it's a pretty unique playing string IMO.

- Gamma TNT Pro Plus 16: I have always been a fan of these strings, in many racquets, and it doesn't disappoint me in this one. Medium power, lots of spin and feel, and durability is below average. Plus it's on sale currently at TW..

- Prince Synthetic Gut Multifilament 16: If you have not tried this yet, please give it a go. Plays well all around really, but does nothing particularly wonderful. But a good overall string for the money, and I liked it a lot in the POG.

- NRG2: I want to like this string so bad, but I just don't. Nice feel for like an hour, but just gets out of control fast. Some say it's tension loss.. I don't know that necessarily agree with this, but something in the string breaks down very quickly, and the POG just accelerates this process. Nice feel though, if you have arm issues and are not a chronic string breaker.

I've tried various copolys also in this frame, so if you're wondering about any specific ones, just holler. Valjean has recommended some good mid-level Babolats that I just got in that I'm trying over the next couple weeks, as well as KLIP Excellerator, so I'll give those a shot next. The latter comes in a 15L, which I'm excited to try in the POG for obvious reasons.

Cheers.

markwillplay
03-04-2008, 08:55 PM
thanks a lot. I have tried the PSGD and it is not that bad really. I had a recent post about strings for this stick and Valjean gave some good advice for sure. I think I like the pocketing and fairly soft feel of NXT better, but it is trampolining on me now. I may try a couple of these that you mention. I have heard that multifeel would hold up pretty good so I thought of giving that a go. Don't want something too powerful as i like to take a big cut and like to hit with lots of spin as well.

markwillplay
03-04-2008, 08:59 PM
can you compare the psgm to the psgd? Does it last as long? Is it more comfy? I don't find the psgd too harsh but it is not as comfy and smooth as the nxt.

valjean also mentioned wilson extreme synth gut as well so I may check that out. He says it is softer than others synth guts and plays well.

sruckauf
03-05-2008, 05:31 AM
I definitely find PSGM to be more comfy than PSDG. Without question. But it did break faster for me. Also the PSGM provides a pretty satisfying 'thwack' when hitting with it.

I just don't care for PSGD in any way really.

markwillplay
03-05-2008, 05:55 AM
I am going to get it strung with psgm today at 64-65 and see how it does.

tennisinoc
03-05-2008, 07:47 AM
I am going to get it strung with psgm today at 64-65 and see how it does.

Don't do it. Worse Multi I have tried so far.
Try Techifiber NRG2 or X-1. You won't regret it.

Or just stick with Basic Prince Synthetic Gut Original (No Duraflex)

markwillplay
03-05-2008, 02:26 PM
too late, I'll see. What makes you think it's so bad (so I can compare for myself).

sruckauf
03-05-2008, 02:30 PM
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion... but there are like 100 posts on this board speaking very favorably of that string, to his 1 negative one. Tons of praise on this board for it - you're safe.

I would recommend you do a search on the board for other threads on it.. then decide how much weight his opinion has with you.

markwillplay
03-05-2008, 04:37 PM
yea, funny thing is I went out to hit with the mone I have strung with psgd today and the frame is just so comfy. I think it is all relative. The PSGD felt fairly soft to me compared to the multifeel in my speedport tour. Just a plush stick. I look forward to trying this PSGM to see which I like best. I think that particular stick (POG OS) is pretty tolerant of strings compared to other frames.

tennisinoc
03-06-2008, 07:28 AM
too late, I'll see. What makes you think it's so bad (so I can compare for myself).

I thought it didn't have any feel. It might be softer than PSGD, but for me, the feel wasn't there like with NRG2 or X-1. Also, not much ball pocketing.
Control wasn't that great. I never cut out strings as fast as these ones.

sruckauf
03-06-2008, 07:55 AM
I thought it didn't have any feel. It might be softer than PSGD, but for me, the feel wasn't there like with NRG2 or X-1. Also, not much ball pocketing.
Control wasn't that great. I never cut out strings as fast as these ones.

Agreed. Definitely nothing like those strings. Of course, it's almost half the price. :)

Another string I liked in the POG in this price range, was Gamma Revelation. I thought it was pretty good for the price point in this frame. Sure durability is not great, but at this price you can afford to restring more often.

markwillplay: For anyone using the POG, I would highly recommend ponying up for your own stringer and learning how to do it due to how it eats strings. It's just a money pit type of racquet if you don't buy string wholesale. (like on TW..)

I realize that's not new information to anyone.. just my $.02. If you find your way to getting a stringer, it'll really allow you to spend more money on higher quality strings and still come out ahead $$ wise.