PDA

View Full Version : Low powered racket?

doublefault2008
03-04-2008, 06:37 PM
What is the true meaning of a low powered racket? I heard many people complain they don't get enough power from a racket. But isn't it true that given any racket, any reasonably fit person, and that same person can hit a ball with way more power than they control? So why is it called low powered racket when any racket on the market right now has the potential to blast a ball at a distance much longer than a tennis court?

Gmedlo
03-04-2008, 07:03 PM
Literally, a low-powered racquet is a racquet that has a low rating on the power index. But objectively, a low-powered racquet is one that, with player's rally-speed stroke, consistently leaves the ball short on the other side.

The general opinion found on this board is that every 4.0 can generate "their own power" and therefore should use flexible, thin-beamed mids/small midpluses. Simply idiotic in my opinion. I can't help but laugh at all the people struggling to get the ball within three feet of the baseline with their k90s. The sad thing is that they don't realize how much better they would be if they played with an even slightly more powerful racquet.

Sure, a person can hit a ball as hard as they can, and not have a bit of control, but that isn't relevant in racquet selection. You will never hit the ball as hard as you can in a match unless you are up 6-0 5-0 40-0, and even then you shouldn't. With that out of the way, you have to look at the power of a racquet within the boundaries of a player's rally stroke.

I don't see why anyone playing competitively in this time period would restrict themselves by playing with a racquet that is low-powered in their hands, yet so many people do.

Klatu Verata Necktie
03-04-2008, 07:07 PM
Good question.

Some people thrive off of long, loopy swings. They enjoy the effort required to blast a winner using a low powered racquet. Other people find that the long, labored swings causes them to be a step slow, which may compromise their results.

I tend to gravitate toward lower powered frames because when moments get tense and my nerves are on edge, I tend to swing out on my ground strokes. In those circumstances, I'm still able to control my shots fairly well, where as they would be far more difficult to control using a more powerful frame.

meowmix
03-04-2008, 07:16 PM
For me, I don't play a true low powered racket. I find that when you need that extra little when going for that winner, the racket doesn't respond. I've got a Gamma Ipex 7.0 MP, which doesn't have insane power, but when you're on the run, you can tap into some of that power. Same thing with the LM4 I plan to lead up.

fuzz nation
03-04-2008, 07:32 PM
Relative terms...

When we settle in on our games after playing for a while, we have an ingrained tempo for our forehand, first serve, etc. Typically, if you have two similar racquets - same size, weight, strings - but one is stiff and the other is flexible, the ball will get more of a pop off the face of the stiffer racquet When we take that typical swing at a ball, our brains want a certain level of that pop on the ball for that given effort, but a flexible frame doesn't produce as much. This can be especially notable for serving - a relatively lifeless frame will make you want to swing your arm out of its socket to put some real gas on the ball.

What I like in a frame with more flex is what I think of as "controllable power". It tends to put a little less linear velocity on the ball, yet still makes plenty of spin and when I hit harder, I get a little more velocity, but also a lot more spin to keep the ball on the court. In the grand scheme, these different types of frames fit different types of swings to produce desired levels of power and control.

paulfreda
03-05-2008, 03:37 AM
On the other end are powerful frames [not talking about granny sticks with > 106 sq in heads] that have a tendency to make your groundies go long. If you can learn to hit with a SW or W grip to get good topspin then you can control them and still hit deep which is a major ofensive weapon; keeping the opponent behind the baseline. Get good topsin technique and you can play with less effort. Not for the young hard hitting tigers though. They usually want the flexy thin beamed frames.

HAWKEYE
03-05-2008, 05:48 AM
What is the true meaning of a low powered racket? I heard many people complain they don't get enough power from a racket. But isn't it true that given any racket, any reasonably fit person, and that same person can hit a ball with way more power than they control? So why is it called low powered racket when any racket on the market right now has the potential to blast a ball at a distance much longer than a tennis court?

You have to distinguish between the power of the racquet itself and the power you supply when you swing the racquet. Power of the racquet itself is measured when no force is applied, like when you hold the racquet still and drop the ball on the racquet face. A ball dropped from the same height will bounce off higher or lower depending on the powerness of a racquet, assuming that strings and their tension are the same. Scientific term for this is coefficient of restitution.

tzinc
03-05-2008, 06:52 AM
Power in a racquet refers to how you swing.

A powerful racquet is for those that don't swing fast and take the racquet back far.

DonBot
03-05-2008, 06:59 AM
Good question.

Some people thrive off of long, loopy swings. They enjoy the effort required to blast a winner using a low powered racquet. Other people find that the long, labored swings causes them to be a step slow, which may compromise their results.

I tend to gravitate toward lower powered frames because when moments get tense and my nerves are on edge, I tend to swing out on my ground strokes. In those circumstances, I'm still able to control my shots fairly well, where as they would be far more difficult to control using a more powerful frame.

Ditto, if I am hitting with the pdr and I get nervous and don't load the ball up with a ton of topspin, I am going to hit the fence on the fly. At least with the k90 my flatter hits are not going to just take off on me when I am really out of sync.