PDA

View Full Version : Praise the Lord...new Holy Grail found!!!

TripleB
12-29-2004, 06:23 AM
My search for the racquet to replace my Prince Original Graphite Mid has ended....almost!!!

Went out yesterday with my demos in hand (actually in bag) - Yonex RDX-500 Mid, RDX-500 Midplus, RDX-500 HD Midplus, and Babolat Pure Control.

I just played phenominally well with both the RDX-500 Mid and the RDX-500 Midplus. I was hitting some of the greatest angles I've ever hit and hit the two best 'on the run' forehands of my life - one down the line and one crosscourt - I'm talking Andre Agassi type forehands. Control on both of these racquets is superior to ANY racquet I've tried (yes even the POG mid and ProStaff 85). I seemed to hit every line and not just when I easily guided the ball, this was even when I was swinging out.

Brought out my POG mid to compare it to the RDX-500s to make sure I wasn't just having an 'on' day. I wasn't...the Yonex racquets just seemed more solid and I was really able to get around on my forehand a lot better with both of them than I could with my POG mid. The incredible angles I got with the RDXs just weren't there with the POG.

If I had to choose between the two right now, I couldn't do it. The RDX-500 Mid and the RDX-500 Midplus are that close. I played equally amazing with both. Luckily I still have for a little while longer with them so hopefully I can make a decision. I can tell right now it's not going to be an easy one.

As far as TW categories go, the winner in each would be:

Stability: Mid
Touch and Feel: Mid
Volleys: EQUAL (midplus=more put away power; mid=better touch)
Comfort: Midplus
Maneuverability: Mid
Serves/Overheads: EQUAL (midplus=more power; mid=slightly better control)
Returns: Midplus
Power: Midplus
Control: Mid (by an ever so slim margin)
Slice: Midplus
Topspin: Midplus
Groundstrokes: EQUAL
Overall: EQUAL

I know that one of these is my new Holy Grail of tennis racquets, I just hope that one is an obvious choice over the other once my demo session is over.

TripleB

ferrari_827
12-29-2004, 07:03 AM
TripleB, I'm glad your long quest (and I mean loooong) is coming to a close. The RDX500 is just a very well-made racket, you can tell just by looking at it. And once you find the right string and tension, it's as good as it gets. I've played with alot of Yonex rackets and I know this is *the one*.

Right now, I've got some cheap Prince Synthetic Original, but I can't wait to put in Head Power FiberGel or Technifiber NRG next around 52lbs, and I know it's going to be *awesome*.

Mj
12-29-2004, 08:07 AM
TripleB, by Midplus do you mean the regular one or the HD? How do the 2 midplus compare tegether?
I want to switch from the ti-70L but don't know which would be the best one.

Coria
12-29-2004, 08:08 AM
Triple B. That's exciting man!! I've been struggling with my choice--the RDX MP, feeling that maybe the LM Prestige was a little better control. But my gut tells me to stick with the RDX MP. I can generate more spin, better touch. I like that it has a lighter swing weight than the LM Prestige. It feels more maneuverable to me.

The RDX mid has too low of racket head size for me--although it's an awesome racket. Also, the MP is more powerful to me--so it's the RDX MP for me with no looking back!!!!

SC in MA
12-29-2004, 08:37 AM
Ben: Glad to hear that at long last you may have found your POG replacement ! (Why is it that I don't quite believe it yet ! :-))

Anyway, a couple of questions related to the new Holy Grail(s):

1) It's been said that the MP is not an especially stable racket. Can you comment ? Did you find that at all ?

2) I've used 95 sq in rackets for a quite a while. Does the Mid seem small to you ?

3) Some posters have commented that the RDX's are too light. Did you find that to be the case ? Can you see yourself adding weight to them ?

4) Can you compare the MP to the nCode95 or LM Prestige MP or HPS 61 ?

I'll be looking forward to reading about which RDX you decide on.

Thanks. And thanks for all the unofficial reviews (posts) over the years !

moosryan
12-29-2004, 08:40 AM
the apocalypse is coming! run! no just kidding. congratulations, although i must admit i rather enjoyed your posts.

perfmode
12-29-2004, 10:11 AM
Give it a week before you make any big decisions. You've still gotta get through the honeymoon period. Gj with the finds though.

TripleB
12-29-2004, 10:59 AM
Mj,

I mean the RDX-500 Midplus...NOT the HD version. For a quick look at my initial thoughts of each version see:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=36620

Basically the HD felt too stiff and didn't feel much like either of the other two RDX-500 racquets.

SC in MA,

1) I found it to be a VERY stable racquet. Not quite as stable as the mid because of the larger head size but seems extremely stable for a 98 sq in head. As a side note the sweetspot feels absolutely huge. Seems very comfortable from all over the racquet face.

2) I'm used to the 93 POG mid and the 90 didn't seem like that much of a change to me. Maybe it's the elongated head of the Yonex but it didn't seem any smaller but the sweetspot felt bigger than my POG mid. At net it seemed (as it should) smaller than the RDX-500 Midplus and I felt myself hitting the frame on my volleys a couple times. Others have said that the sweetspot feels larger than the 90 sq in face would indicate and that is the case.

3) To be honest I also believed, going into this demo session, that the RDX-500 racquets were going to be too light for my taste. I'm used to my three POG mids that range from 355g to 361g. The Yonex Mid weighs in at 335g. But as I get more comfortable with the racquets I think I like the weight just the way it is. As I said in my original post I was hitting some of the greatest angle shots of my life. I think this comes from the lightness of the racquet and the ability to whip the ball quickly and with great control. After my outing today I think I'm going to add some lead tape to both racquets just to see how much of a difference (in power, maneuverability, etc.) it will make. I'm thinking of adding enough to bring each up to around 342-345 grams. But back to your question, I think that they play great at the weight they are now.

4) I haven't really played enough with the LM Prestige to comment on it. I think the RDX-500 Midplus plays similar to the nCode nSix-One 95 as far as power and spin are concerned but it offers MUCH better control and more maneuverability. Itís just as solid as the nSix-One but in a lighter package. I did a TW Comparison review of the nSix-One 95, Original 6.0 95, Original 6.0 85, nSix-One 90 Tour that should be up by the end of the week so Iíve got the play of the nSix-One 95 pretty fresh and the RDX-500 Midplus out performs the nSix-One 95 in every category.

Gotta get to the courts. I'll add more later.

TripleB

Tenny
12-29-2004, 11:03 AM
TripleB, I'm glad your long quest (and I mean loooong) is coming to a close. The RDX500 is just a very well-made racket, you can tell just by looking at it. And once you find the right string and tension, it's as good as it gets. I've played with alot of Yonex rackets and I know this is *the one*.

Right now, I've got some cheap Prince Synthetic Original, but I can't wait to put in Head Power FiberGel or Technifiber NRG next around 52lbs, and I know it's going to be *awesome*.

Congrat, Ben (until you find another HG, I believe?)
My only trial with Yonex wasn't that satisfying (RD-7). BTW, how do those RDX compare with Prostaff 6.0 95? You seemed to like it. And ferrari-827, I have two questions for you. 1. What does your 827 mean? 2. Why do you like NRG2? What about 52LB? Does it play better at lower tension? I tried once and liked it (a little bit pricy though).

Tenny.

ferrari_827
12-29-2004, 11:22 AM
The RDX500 mid actually feels very similar to the PS 6.0 95, but is a bit more accurate and has better feel. The 827 is my birthday August 27. I haven't played with NRG but from comments, it has really good playability, tension holding, and durability, and it better be for $12 !! I don't mind paying more if it lasts a good while.

ollinger
12-29-2004, 11:38 AM
Triple B and Ferrari now exchanging banalities -- I'm pulling up my easy chair because this should be better than "Meet the ****ers."
________
LIVE SEX WEBSHOWS (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

NoBadMojo
12-29-2004, 12:09 PM
actually nrg2 has lousy tension maintainence and awful durability, but it really plays sweet and powerfully and spinny and with great ballfeeel for a short period of time.

Craig Sheppard
12-29-2004, 02:12 PM
TripleB, what are you going to do when Yonex discontinues the RDX next year??? ;-)

Tenny
12-29-2004, 02:21 PM
actually nrg2 has lousy tension maintainence and awful durability, but it really plays sweet and powerfully and spinny and with great ballfeeel for a short period of time.

Oh? then e-matrix must be really horrible. I've tried NRG2 only once but I haven't played that specific racquet (PS6.0 95) that much so the string is still in good form. Currently, I feel if my racquet is heavy enough, flexible enough, the string doesn't matter too much. It becomes more critical with lighter racquet (IMO). BTW, NBMJ, you have "hall of fame" under you name?

And ferrari_827, it's late but happy birthday! Another question, what's your car?

Tenny_409

ferrari_827
12-29-2004, 02:24 PM
I may have ferrari quality tennis rackets in Yonex, but certainly not my car. A navy blue Chevrolet Cavalier. Sorry to disappoint folks.

Alley Cat
12-29-2004, 04:53 PM
TripleB, what are you going to do when Yonex discontinues the RDX next year??? ;-)

Good point! But while all manufacturers change frames every year I have to give Ben credit for not being a "constant switcher". Maybe this one will last as long as the POG? :) (but "constant demoer" might still be in the equation)

Morpheus
12-29-2004, 05:11 PM
I guess its a pretty cold day in Hell today and, damn, I just saw a pig fly by my window!

TripleB
12-29-2004, 06:01 PM
Morpheus...it ain't cold there, it's completely FROZE OVER!!!

Craig...hope that TW has about four of them left (in 4 5/8" grip) when they drop the price down to $89.99 for the closeout.

Alley Cat...once a demoer, always a demoer (maybe just not quite as often - unless to do more Playtests from TW)!!!

Had a chance to get out for about two more hours of tennis this afternoon (in 60 degree weather...much better than the 28 two nights ago): THE RDX-500 MIDPLUS HAS TAKEN THE LEAD OVER THE MID. IT'S JUST GOT A LARGER SWEETSPOT (which really helps a lot on returns), GIVES ME ALMOST IDENTICAL CONTROL (how do they do that?), A BIGGER FLAT SERVE, AND MORE KICK ON MY SECOND.

I'll keep you posted on whether the Midplus loses the lead or extends the lead over the Mid during my next couple trips to the court!!

As a side note: I seem to like the way it plays with the Wilson NXT Max 16g string that's in it. Went to poly in my POG mid after breaking Synthetic Gut 17 every six sets - loved the smaller string for the spin potential. I'm getting good spin with the NXT and may look into going back to 16g non-poly string. (thereby moving away from my poly/syn gut hybrid I'm currently using in the POG mid). Anything play similar to the NXT Max but maybe a little softer and good durability?

TripleB

K. Wilson Moose
12-29-2004, 06:28 PM
"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."
- unknown

Rackethead
12-29-2004, 06:35 PM
Lets start a pool on how long this honeymoon will last and when TripleB will go back to the POG.

Craig Sheppard
12-29-2004, 08:48 PM
Man TripleB, I envy how much time you make to play tennis! Do you always play with the same guy (or gal!)? Whoda thunk Western NC was such a hotbed. ;-)

Craig

Coria
12-29-2004, 09:21 PM
Triple B. My RDX MP also has the same Wilson string and I like it a lot more than the Kirschbaum string I've used in my former rackets. I think 16g. is the way to go with these rackets.

Are you finding you can hit bigger topspin groundstrokes with the Mp than the mid? It sounds like you're hitting a bigger serve as well.

TripleB
12-30-2004, 05:24 AM
Coria - Yea, I was really surprised at the amount of topspin I was able to get out of both racquets with the 16g string. It's been a long while since I've used anything other than poly but this string seems to be holding up (durability wise) very well. I think I hit bigger topspin with the Midplus because of the larger head size. I can get some extreme spin with it, where I seem to hit the frame of the Mid more often when I try to go extreme with my topspin. I notice this more on return of serve and when my opponent hits high paced groundstrokes at me. Much bigger serve with the Midplus than with my POG mid. I can get some pretty big serves out of the Mid but I seem to have to be more exact with my service motion (ie: I can't be as lazy with the Mid as I can the Midplus).

Craig - when I demo the racquet the first two or three times I usually hit with the same guy. He doesn't hit the ball extremely hard, hits a nice flat ball, and doesn't use much spin. I like hitting with him the first couple times out because I can get a good feel for the racquet and I get to hit a lot of balls. Other than that we have about 8 to 15 guys that come out every Monday and Thursday night. They like to play a lot of doubles so it gives me a chance (even though I loathe doubles) to see how the racquet performs in doubles and at the net. Luckily I've got a lot of time in with the racquets this week because I'm off and my daughter has spent the night with both my sister and my neice....and I've got an amazingly fantastic wife.

Rackethead...I would like to see the odds board once you get that figured out.

K. Wilson Moose - I guess I'm the chicken at this point...right?!?

TripleB

Mj
12-30-2004, 05:36 AM
Do you know if the different racquet weights with regards to different grip sizes also apply to the RDX series?

ferrari_827
12-30-2004, 07:38 AM
God, now I'm thinking I need to get a midplus version before Yonex discontinues the racket. You never know what Yonex is going to to, I think the Ti70 and Ti50 only had a shelf life of just over one year. 1-2 years seems to be standard for Yonex.

I wish Yonex would use the specs for the Ti70, enlarge it to 90-95sq.in., and use a 16x19 or 18 string pattern, maybe with a similar ferrari red paint job. That would be awesome.

El Diablo
12-30-2004, 08:50 AM
Very surprised to hear that you drive; my wife and I had assumed you were about 14.

TripleB
12-30-2004, 10:47 AM
El Diablo...was that comment made towards me?

TripleB

K. Wilson Moose
12-30-2004, 06:11 PM
El Diablo...was that comment made towards me?

TripleB

No Ben.....

Each day on the court, you watch, as shots pass you by
You say to yourself, "Another racquet, I will try"
To have a frame, that masters all, it's out there for you
Of all the playas, in the world, for you this is true

But it is just your imagination,
Running away with you
It is just your imagination,
Running away with you

Kirko
12-30-2004, 08:36 PM
Thats great ! I have never heard you so positive about a racket since I have been here . I am glad you found it . You were due.

JimmyCraig
12-30-2004, 08:46 PM
I tried it too. even bought one. then my serve went out the window. I also couldnt find the same strokes I hit the first time around. that racket is crap

JimmyCraig
12-30-2004, 08:49 PM
I suspect serving wasnt a strong part of your game in the first place, seeing that you were using the POG. Just underhand the ball in, that's about all that RDX is good for anyway!

TopSpinner
12-30-2004, 10:25 PM
I thought the RDX was great for serving and ground strokes. Only part of RDX MP I didn't like is volleys. Also upper hoop of the RDX MP is dead so you may want to try looser tension. I had my first strings at 60lbs and I'm now going to try it at 57lbs. I still think RD-7 and SRD Tour 95s are better Yonex frames.

David Pavlich
12-31-2004, 11:10 AM
This is the first time I read this thread. Funny stuff.

David