PDA

View Full Version : Serving capability of rackets

NLBwell
03-04-2008, 08:23 PM
I generally like flexible rackets and need one to keep my arm happy, but as a big server I don't want to lose too much pop on the serve. I'm asking for opinions on rackets I'm thinking about demoning this next year to replace my aging POG and Black Aces with some comparisons to them and rackets I have played with.
What are your opinons on the serving capability of the following rackets comparing them between each other and perhaps the Prince Graphite Mid, Pro Staff 85, Pro Tour 280.

Fischer M Comp 95
Fischer M Pro 98
Head MicroGel Prestige 98 and Prestige Pro
Dunlop AeroGel 200
Technifibre Tfight 335
Yonex RQis Tour 1
Yonex RDS 001 Mid
Yonex RDS 002 Tour
Wilson K6-1 Tour 90
Wilson K6-1 95

Though few have probably played with all of these with enough comparative responses, we can probably come up with an overall consensus rating.

Thanks

mattyc
03-05-2008, 12:54 AM
i have never hit bigger serves in my life than when i was using a ps 85. the smaller the head and the heavier the bat, the bigger the serve.

having said that I played a few sets with the rqis1 the other day and was packing some serious heat into the serves despite its comparably light weight.

i am very anti wilson n code/k factors. There is something i dont like so i will not comment on them.

yonex rds oo1 mid also serves well but not as good as rqis1.

The tflight is an interesting one, quite a hard bat to swing around if you are not used to weighty high swing weight bats. In the right hands it is pretty deadly, but in other's it is a piece of junk, thus, this bat will depend on u as a player and only u can be the judge of that.

auzzieizm
03-05-2008, 02:55 AM
I love Yonex racquets. This week, I am demoing a Volkl C10 Pro (along with 3 Yonex racquets). It has a very controlled and flexible feel. Good stability, great spin, pinpoint accuracy...BUT FOR SERVE, I have never had so much fun serving with a racquet. Amazing directional control. You can literally just pick a spot and this racquet will help you serve there. The control of the frame allows you to really go for the serve without fear of hitting the back fence, and the weight of the frame translates to a heavy serve. Give this one a shot.

Anton
03-05-2008, 03:54 AM
RQiS 1 Tour is my absolute favorite serving stick (with 4 grams of lead on 2 and 10)

The kick/spin/slice pace, consistency and ease are unmatched by any other frame

Azzurri
03-05-2008, 04:12 AM
I have played the POG mid and PS 85. I also played the Asian K90 for quite some time and went to the USK90 about a month ago. Besides the weight issue, my serves were gone. Prior to switching, I was bombing my 1st serve. Guys in my clinic would get frustrated returning my serve (or their lack there of), but the USK90 would not allow me the same pace and spin, so since the weight was an issue and my serve is a weapon, I went back to the Asian K90...just got them. The spin you can generate on groundies is sweet w/the USK90, but for me, I could not generate that same spin/pace on the serve.

The PS 85 is an excellent serving racquet. I just played a 2 hours doubles match and my I enjoyed playing the PS 85 (have not strung the new racquets yet).

tennis_hand
03-05-2008, 04:20 AM
very simple reason. i also played with the Asian K90. the Asian K90 is so much more head heavy than the US version. surely u are gonna serve well with it. I also serve faster with it, but it tires off too quickly due to its balance.

Azzurri
03-05-2008, 06:27 AM
very simple reason. i also played with the Asian K90. the Asian K90 is so much more head heavy than the US version. surely u are gonna serve well with it. I also serve faster with it, but it tires off too quickly due to its balance.

I have the opposite reaction. I can play 3 hoyurs with it and never get tired from the racquet. The USK90 I was tired within an hour.

The USK90 was 7 pts HL, how much different could that be from the AK90?

fuzz nation
03-05-2008, 08:13 AM
Another nod for the Volkl C10 Pro if you can run down a demo. I find it to be a great example of soft enough, firm enough, and heavy enough (subjective issue, I know). I probably get the most explosive combination of flat and spin serves from this racquet. I've also enjoyed the RDS 002 Tour, but I wouldn't put it in line ahead of the C10.

Another softy with mixed reviews and feedback around here is the Prince NXG mid. I just grabbed a pair 2nd hand (got 'em today!) that still need stringing and grip buildups, but the one I already have really delivers for me. It weighs 13.0 oz. without any mod's so it can seriously charge through the ball, but its flex (feels a good bit softer than 61) will help crank out big time spin, too. It's rather easy to swing despite its heft and I can smack either a big flat serve or a pretty funky kicker. Off the baseline it really shines for me, but it also handles rather well at the net - typically I'd prefer the C10 for doubles.

DonBot
03-05-2008, 10:54 AM
I could and still can hit wicked kick and slice serves with ps85, to me all raquets will never measure up for those two types of serves. But I have to say I could hit a hard flat bomb with the k90 like no other racquet, I could put new tennis balls through the fence and I want to get clocked ohhhhhh so bad with it. I never could hit a hard flat serve faster than probably 90mph with the ps85, even if I caught the sweetspot, the ball just never seemed to take off like it does with the k90, If I had to guess I was probably around 115-120ish range with the k90 last summer when I was in the grooooooove!:) Next time I am around a radar gun at the courts I am going to give it a shot.

anirut
03-05-2008, 10:59 AM
Also give the Volkl Tour 10 VE mid a try. A very nice serving racket. And very comfortable for your arm too.

Anton
03-05-2008, 11:19 AM
I could and still can hit wicked kick and slice serves with ps85, to me all raquets will never measure up for those two types of serves. But I have to say I could hit a hard flat bomb with the k90 like no other racquet, I could put new tennis balls through the fence and I want to get clocked ohhhhhh so bad with it. I never could hit a hard flat serve faster than probably 90mph with the ps85, even if I caught the sweetspot, the ball just never seemed to take off like it does with the k90, If I had to guess I was probably around 115-120ish range with the k90 last summer when I was in the grooooooove!:) Next time I am around a radar gun at the courts I am going to give it a shot.

I doubt you'll see even a 10 mph difference form frame to frame - I've been getting some readings on my serve and really there hasn't been that much difference, esp with frames of similar weight (lighter rackets served a bit faster on average)

shwetty[tennis]balls
03-05-2008, 11:24 AM
I really like the prostaff 85 and the k90 tour. They're great on the arm and deliver w/ pinpoint accuracy. I've never had the same result w/ any other racquet.

Azzurri
03-05-2008, 03:53 PM
I doubt you'll see even a 10 mph difference form frame to frame - I've been getting some readings on my serve and really there hasn't been that much difference, esp with frames of similar weight (lighter rackets served a bit faster on average)

I have to disagree. My serve was much faster/harder with my AsianK90 than my USK90. It was very obvious...my clinic partners said everything was good about my game, especially slice and volley, but my serve was a pup compared to my older racquets. 10 mph between racquets does not seem to be a difficult difference to maintain.
I can't hit my buddies "Skunk" for anything...so in my experience I hit much harder with my AK90 than my USK90.:)

chiru
03-05-2008, 04:39 PM
ps 85 is the best serving racket of all time imo. ive neve rbeen abel to generate more pace, accuracy, or different spins as confidently as i can with this racket. thast why i finally switched to it last year, and havne't looked back.

now i'm sad that its discontinued...

DonBot
03-05-2008, 08:02 PM

I think the major differnce is I can consistently hit the sweat spot on the k90, whereas I am alaways too high on the ps85 on flat bombs, ( to be honest my Overheads were always somewhat iffy too with the ps85, I could never crack them out of the court like I can with any other frame) but asuming you are catching the sweet spot with a similar wighted frame, strings, etc you are right there is not going to be a ton of difference in speed. To me the sweet spot on the ps85 was sort of a mystery, there are times when the ball would just take off on ground strokes and serves, even though I was hitting it in roughly the same spot. I have read a ton of other posts about the phenomena so I am glad I am not the only nut job hehehehehehehe

Anton
03-05-2008, 08:37 PM
I have to disagree. My serve was much faster/harder with my AsianK90 than my USK90. It was very obvious...my clinic partners said everything was good about my game, especially slice and volley, but my serve was a pup compared to my older racquets. 10 mph between racquets does not seem to be a difficult difference to maintain.
I can't hit my buddies "Skunk" for anything...so in my experience I hit much harder with my AK90 than my USK90.:)

10 mph average difference is not bad at all - get some readings of your serves.

I've measured my serves extensively with about five frames of various sorts - with each my top speed serve was between 110 and 120 (100 and 110 over the net reading)

NLBwell
03-05-2008, 08:57 PM
Well, we are getting some data here (although as expected, it is a bit mixed).
Consistent with my observations PS85 is at or near the top.
Asian k90 and US k90 ranked well with more votes for the Asian, but not much comparison to other rackets.
Volkl C10 Pro high - (but I personally don't like Volkls)
RQis-1 got a top vote, but no comparison to other rackets used -- Anton: what other rackets are you comparing it to?
POG mid and RDS002Tour were mentioned, but no comparison to other rackets.

For the ones I've used in the past, I'd personally say
1. PS85
2. POG Mid
3. PT 280

Still not a lot of data companing the newer rackets.

Anton
03-05-2008, 09:19 PM
RQis-1 got a top vote, but no comparison to other rackets used -- Anton:

well I've played with (less or more) all of the rackets on your list.

Fischer M Comp 95
Fischer M Pro 98
Dunlop AeroGel 200
Technifibre Tfight 335
Yonex RDS 001 Mid
Yonex RDS 002 Tour
Wilson K6-1 Tour 90
Wilson K6-1 95

hoosierbr
03-05-2008, 10:28 PM
Of your list I've hit the RDS 001 Mid and Fischer M Pro 98. Both served very well. The M Pro 98 was a bit underpowered off the ground so keep that in mind.

NLBwell
03-06-2008, 05:19 AM
Anton: Any chance you could take the time to rank the rackets you listed in terms of serving capability?

the Town Sherif
03-06-2008, 05:15 PM
the donnay pro 1 is a great serving stick.

NLBwell
03-06-2008, 06:29 PM
OK, so far as rankings we have

Top Group:
PS 85
Asian K90
US K90
RQis 1 (From what I've read on these boards and the TW review, there are some who serve great with this and many complain about a lack of power on serve)

Second Group:
POG Mid
PT 280

Third Group:
I'll put in RDX-500

And have good recommendations for Donnay Pro 1, RDS002Tour, RDS001 and Fisher MPro 98 but with no comparison to other rackets.

Anybody have other ideas on where the other generally flexible rackets should be slotted?

Anton
03-06-2008, 06:36 PM
RQis 1 (From what I've read on these boards and the TW review, there are some who serve great with this and many complain about a lack of power on serve)

Actually the ones that complain have not tried it with some lead on the top loop.

if you are looking for a comfortable low stress frame with some great serving and all around game RQiS is number one in line easily (provided you have long swings)

NLBwell
03-06-2008, 07:13 PM
This is good to know as I generally weight my rackets up, particularly Yonexes at 3 and 9.

tbini87
03-06-2008, 07:28 PM
i think the t-fight 335 serves pretty well. i use the 16* which might give a little more pop and spin than the 18*. i think it is a great stick overall (but probably not the most arm friendly).

my response to the RQiS Tour was mixed. liked kick/slice serves with it, and had great placement. the flat serve wasn't as impressive imo.

tbini87
03-06-2008, 07:30 PM
sorry about not having comparisons... but i think the t-fight 335 belongs in the first group more than the rqis tour. i think the 335 is more like the k90 than the rqis tour.

NLBwell
03-07-2008, 04:37 PM
Ok, here is the list so far:

Top Group:
PS 85
Asian K90
US K90
TF 335
RQis 1 (With weight)

Second Group:
POG Mid
PT 280

Third Group:
RQis 1 (Without weight)
RDX-500

And have good recommendations for Donnay Pro 1, RDS002Tour, RDS001 and Fisher MPro 98 but with no comparison to other rackets.

Rackets with no opinion at all so far:

Fischer M Comp 95
Dunlop AeroGel 200
Wilson K6-1 95

If we get more opinions this could turn into a useful reference. Anybody have other ideas on where the other generally flexible rackets should be slotted?

fuzz nation
03-08-2008, 06:49 AM
I own the Donnay Pro One mp, Yonex RDS 002 Tour, and Volkl C10 Pro. For me, the Volkl is on the top of the heap with better all court performance and the hottest potential for serves. The Donnay and Yonex are both quite well behaved with their own superlatives - given the choice, I'd prefer to use the Donnay for singles while the Yonex is a stonger option for me for doubles.

The C10 is the best fit for my game because I get the stroke consistency with it that I enjoy in the Donnay, at least as much command at the net as with the 002 Tour, and I can serve out of my mind with the Volkl. It's a great fit for me and while it's not empirically "better" than the others, I think you'd be smart to at least keep it in this conversation.

BounceHitBounceHit
03-08-2008, 07:19 AM
I generally like flexible rackets and need one to keep my arm happy, but as a big server I don't want to lose too much pop on the serve. I'm asking for opinions on rackets I'm thinking about demoning this next year to replace my aging POG and Black Aces with some comparisons to them and rackets I have played with.
What are your opinons on the serving capability of the following rackets comparing them between each other and perhaps the Prince Graphite Mid, Pro Staff 85, Pro Tour 280.

Fischer M Comp 95
Fischer M Pro 98
Dunlop AeroGel 200
Technifibre Tfight 335
Yonex RQis Tour 1
Yonex RDS 001 Mid
Yonex RDS 002 Tour
Wilson K6-1 Tour 90
Wilson K6-1 95

Though few have probably played with all of these with enough comparative responses, we can probably come up with an overall consensus rating.

Thanks

From your list I would try:

Wilson K 90
Wilson K 95
Head MG Prestige mid/MP

I had NO LUCK w/ various Yonex frames and found the major liability of the AG 200 to be on the serve. The AG 100 is another story altogether......

Good luck!

CC

movdqa
03-08-2008, 09:43 AM
I don't know if you want to toss the Redondo in there but if you do, I find it has nice control on the serve and the spin is good but I prefer the K90 for power and spin.

Jonas
03-08-2008, 09:46 AM
The k-95 16x18 is a massive serving frame.
Just massive.

DonBot
03-08-2008, 10:07 AM
K95 is massive, but hitting a 140 mph serve is worthless if lands at the baseline :)