PDA

View Full Version : Do Yonex Grip Sizes run Small?

TripleB
12-29-2004, 06:26 AM
Do the grips on the Yonex racquets run a little smaller than with other racquets?

I've got a 4 1/2" demo of the RDX-500 series with three overgrips on it and it still feels smaller than what I'm used to - 4 5/8" with 1 overgrip (Prince POG mid).

TripleB

andirez
12-29-2004, 06:52 AM
For me, Prince and Yonex grips feel more or less the same. However, I doubt that 3 overgrips equals the feeling of one grip size increase + overgrip. 3 overgrips will feel a lot less firmer when you squeeze the handle compared to your normal setup.

Keep in mind when testing that the your test setup will feel a bit more headlight than when you order a 5/8 and install one overgrip (assuming that the 1/2 and 5/8 are weighted the same stock)

Craig Sheppard
12-29-2004, 06:53 AM
3B, I measured my 4 5/8" Yonex RD-Ti 50 earlier this week. It's got a slightly worn stock grip (used less than a year) on it, and it measured about 4 9/16", about halfway between 4 1/2" and 4 5/8". I'd have to say mine was pretty true to size, given the grip was worn a bit. I have two of the same vintage, I'll measure both for comparison and get back to you.

Craig

ferrari_827
12-29-2004, 06:59 AM
I use a 4 5/8" grip and the Yonex grip does feel a bit small to me, but no smaller than a Prince or Head. Wilson grips feel a bit larger. This is easily fixed, I just put some electrical tape on the lower part of the handle, add 1 overgrip, and voila !

One thing is that 4 5/8" grip will give you the heaviest version of a Yonex model. This can be good if it's the RDX, but bad if you buy an MP Tour 1 (too heavy).

fastdunn
12-29-2004, 11:17 AM
One thing is that 4 5/8" grip will give you the heaviest version of a Yonex model. This can be good if it's the RDX, but bad if you buy an MP Tour 1 (too heavy).

I wished for this when I got RDX but RDX series do not have the same weight variations with grips like other Yonex models, I was told by Yonex.
Therefore, there is no intended weight differences with grip size for RDX series...

ferrari_827
12-29-2004, 11:31 AM
Just about everyone here has reported a weight over 12oz for the RDX mid, from 12.2-12.4oz. With nothing but 1 overgrip and a small amount of electrical head tape to protect the bumper guard, mine weights 12.2oz and this is perfect for me. With lead tape and dampener, the swingweight became too high.

I don't like the way the racket feels at 12.4oz or more, you lose maneuverability, and that's one of the best things about the racket in the first place. If you want more power, best to do it with strings, not by addind too much lead.

monologuist
12-29-2004, 07:22 PM
With the rdx-500's I demoed, the grip sizes most definitely seemed to run almost a size small....I usually take a 4 3/8 plus one layer ot overgrip...with Yonex I took 4 1/2.

Redflea
12-29-2004, 07:51 PM
This has been beaten to death (in part by myself) - Yonex grips are not smaller than their stated size (I've measured) my RDX, my old R7, and checked a couple of other Yonex demos I had out...all measured out to be their stated sizes.

The do feel smaller to some, likely due to the fact that Yonex racquets don't have a large butt-cap, and maybe also becuase their grips are very "round" and fit into the hand very easily.

tennisphotog
12-30-2004, 05:39 AM
Yeah, they run small for sure.

monologuist
12-30-2004, 09:44 AM
i know that with the Yonex MP Tour-5, after the grip it shrinks (compacts) in thickness with use, it ends up being barely thicker than one layer of overwrap. Much thinner cushioning than , say, a Prince duratac. After this shrinking, there is absolutely no doubt that the Yonex grip ends up being smaller in circumference than a Prince (which is what I believe Triple B is comparing to). So maybe, therein lies the discrepancy?

BreakPoint
12-30-2004, 12:20 PM
I also thought the Yonex grips run small. The 4 1/2's I demoed felt more like 4 3/8 grips to me and I had to add two overgrips instead of the normal one. Even Head grips feel a tad small to me these days. I feel the brands with the "correct" grips sizes are Wilson, Slazenger, and Dunlop. I use those as reference.

ferrari_827
12-30-2004, 12:23 PM
I agree, my IPrestige and LMPrestige felt smaller than 4 5/8", smaller than Yonex even.

altawolfe
12-30-2004, 04:24 PM
, likely due to the fact that Yonex racquets don't have a large butt-cap, and maybe also becuase their grips are very "round" and fit into the hand very easily.

ditto. small butt-cap. Grip on my RD7 measures exactly to grip on PS 95 . . . until you get the butt-cap which is SMALLER. people who hold their racquet at or near the butt-cap are in fact feeling a smaller grip . . . because of the cap, the old yonex midget cap.