PDA

View Full Version : Post your custom Vantage reviews here

tennisinoc
03-04-2008, 10:21 PM
Who else has got a chance to hit their custom Vantage?
Please post your reviews here :shock:

Alexio92
03-05-2008, 08:27 AM
I got mine 2 weeks ago, Short review on 27.5 inch, 63 stiffness, 330g, 12 pts hl, 100"

Serve : Brilliant on serve as you would expect from an extended frame.
Volleys : Good feel + Manuverable due to 12 points hl.
Groundstrokes : Just Enough Control while providing power aswell, it has a different feel to other racquets I have tried on GS, most similar to older racquets I have used.

Basically it has a nice mix of everything, however if you use a babolat before these specs probably wont be for you unless of course you dont like babolat's feel which is probably the reason you would want to switch.

0d1n
03-05-2008, 11:47 PM
I have some 100's, 310 grams, 315 mm balance, 63 stiffness. Got the 310 grams weight because I've heard that the 100's should be close to 330 SW and I needed a slightly lighter weight if that was the case (as it turned out ... it wasn't).
Tried it on Monday in stock form on clay. Great build quality, pretty solid and nice dampened feel even at that weight (no need for vib dampener for me).
Opened the butcap and the handle looks very good. The frame is filled with low density foam (which would explain the dampened feel).
Anyway ... I played for two hours (one strung with PSGMulti and one with a hybrid of CFlash in the mains and a multi in the crosses).
Didn't particularly like the string pattern as it is VERY open which causes it to be a bit "jumpy" for me (the PSGM one was strung too low as well ... so that might have influenced my impressions).
Like I said...pretty solid, very easy to swing for me, nice even flex, sweet spot seemed reasonably sized. I did have some problems with control though...the ball seemed to fly on me a few times primarily because it was lighter swinging than I was used to which seemed to throw my timing off (maybe some wild swings ...) ...and partly due to the very open string pattern.
Beat a player I usually beat 6-0 to 6-3 in sets with my regular rackets but needed a tiebreak to do so :|.
Will play again tomorrow on indoor carpet with a different opponent. I'll have to give it a good 10-15 hours before making definite statements but for now it doesn't look like it will tempt me away from my Tour 10 MP's (gen I).
I'll probably add 2-4 grams of lead in the hoop to bring the swing weight up a bit to a zone I'm used to. That should make it swing slightly heavier but still be more maneuverable than my tour 10's due to lighter overall weight.
I'll have a chance to try a slightly tighter strung one tomorrow as well as a 95 (16x19, 310 grams, 325 balance) and will be back with comments :)

origmarm
03-05-2008, 11:57 PM
Mine is up already here:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=2118369&postcount=51

louis netman
03-06-2008, 01:45 PM
My Vantage-364g 12pts HL, 100" 63RA, 16x19 strung with gut hybrid at 57#: Impact frame. BIG on everything. Spinny enough to control the oomph from midcourt. Sometimes may become a bit squirrely on sharp angles & touch volleys. I have diffuculty staring at that funky beam. Swap that beam out with a more conventional one and I'M DONE!!!

Soundbyte
03-06-2008, 03:23 PM
I have Alexio's setup but in a 95". I'll be stringing it up and playing with it next week during my spring break...I'll keep you posted.

0d1n
03-06-2008, 11:47 PM
My Vantage-364g 12pts HL, 100" 63RA, 16x19 strung with gut hybrid at 57#: Impact frame. BIG on everything. Spinny enough to control the oomph from midcourt. Sometimes may become a bit squirrely on sharp angles & touch volleys. I have diffuculty staring at that funky beam. Swap that beam out with a more conventional one and I'M DONE!!!

I kinda like the beam shape...it fits nicely into the "supporting hand", and it's thin enough for a 100...
Still prefer the one on the Tour 10's, DNX 10 mid's ...etc, but it's nothing I can't get used to really.
Played a bit with a 95 this morning, and with the 100's with some 3 grams of lead in the head. More controlled swinging for me ... which lead to better results. Had one strung a bit more tightly with PSGM. Nice feel, plenty of "oomph" and the control was better than before.
After playing with the 95 I actually regretted not going with those because it was actually easier for me to find the sweet spot (it's a bit further away from the hand...and more in line with what I'm used to I guess....).
By the end of the session I had no problems finding it with the 100's as well though ... so it's just a matter of getting used to it.
I think the quality is top notch ... and @ sale price ... these rackets are a "must try" really. I could get used to this company ;). Really nice leather grips also ... (they "bleed" ... but nice quality).

tennisinoc
03-08-2008, 07:53 AM
After a few outings I have my final analysis:
100 sq, 11.4 oz, 12 pts hl, 16 x 19, 63 RA, 27in.

Groundstrokes: Very comfortable frame. I can definitely feel the flex in the racket when hitting the ball. Definitely like that "old school" graphite feeling that I grew up with. Control is excellent. It would be nice to have a tighter string pattern for this size frame. Then, it would be a scalpel on the court. But the open string pattern allows good spin in exchange. Topspin is average compared to any other 16 x 19 racket. Slice is excellent . Best slice racket that I have tried so far. I was hitting slice shots that I wasn't able to execute before. Power is very low. You must generate your own power.
Because of this, for me it seems this stick is better suited for a Serve and Volley, Chip and Charge or Pusher player. Not really for a Power Baseliner. Like it feels, it was made for that "old school" game style.
Great for doubles.

Serves: Again, great control and spin. Just point and shoot. Not a powerful frame. But instead, you can get your opponent to kiss the side fence.

Volleys: This racket was made for Net play. 12 pt headlight makes it very maneuverable which makes for quicker hands. Stable and controllable. If you can get to the net, point over!

Conclusion: Strategic, control players will love this frame. Power players will not.

chair ump
03-08-2008, 09:39 AM
Just like anything else though...I'm interested to see what everybody thinks after they've actually battle tested these frames for a while and the honeymoon period is over.

DrewRafter8
03-08-2008, 09:47 AM
Just like anything else though...I'm interested to see what everybody thinks after they've actually battle tested these frames for a while and the honeymoon period is over.

Still using mine! Bought 3 more just like them!

tennisinoc
03-12-2008, 03:01 PM
Still using mine! Bought 3 more just like them!

Review? Feedback?

Alexio92
03-12-2008, 03:23 PM

Still love mine as much as ever

Seacoast Stringer
03-12-2008, 04:31 PM
Still love mine as much as ever

While I have hit with several different spec frames from Vantage, I have settled on 322108 (100", 16x19, 70 flex, 27" length, and 8 pts. HL unstrung). Absolutely love the way these sticks hit. As I mentioned in another thread, I used the old MW200g in my younger days and Vantage is the only mfg. that has given me that same old school, no bs, great feeling racquet. The spec I have chosen generates great spin and has nice pop, especially strung with a multi at about 60 lbs. Actually, the 95", 63 flex Vantage is VERY close to that old 200g.....but I like the bigger sweetspot with the 100" headsize and the added pop with the 70 flex (which feels like about a 66 flex to me when strung and gripped). I have a two-handed backhand and this frame has really taken my return of serve up a few notches. The arm comfort has also been fabulous. Obviously I really like Vantage frames, but only after I have hit with about every other racquet on the planet...just ask my wife!!!

Soundbyte
03-13-2008, 08:12 AM
Update on mine (95', 63RA, 330g, 12HL, 16x19, 27.5"):
I got the chance to play an actual match with the racket (after coaching with it for almost a week). The racket is very stable, despite the weight (I realize that 330g is heavy to most people, but I normally play with a leaded up PS 85). I have much more spin on all my shots that from my Pro Staff (not a surprise really). I also have plenty of pop...I feel as if this is the type of racket that Big Banger was intended for. I would agree with what another poster said, that slices are really great with this racket. To me though, the shining quality of this racket is the volley. Again, I think it has something to do with how stable and solid the racket is. I have tried numerous other rackets, both heavy and light, and none of them feel as stable as the Vantage.

I'll be recommending Vantage to everyone.

McLovin
03-13-2008, 03:49 PM
Hey Seacoast Stringer, have you ever hit w/ the Babolat Pure Control? If so, how would you compare it to your Vantage? I ask because I was sooo close to ordering your specs (except in 27.5"), but the "70 feels like 66" factor, which others echoed, made me hold off. I'm trying to match my old Pure Controls that had a flex of 71. Thanks.

Seacoast Stringer
03-13-2008, 05:13 PM
Hey Seacoast Stringer, have you ever hit w/ the Babolat Pure Control? If so, how would you compare it to your Vantage? I ask because I was sooo close to ordering your specs (except in 27.5"), but the "70 feels like 66" factor, which others echoed, made me hold off. I'm trying to match my old Pure Controls that had a flex of 71. Thanks.

No, I haven't hit with the Pure Control (although the specs have always intrigued me). My feelings on the flex of a 70 Vantage are that it doesn't feel harsh on the arm at all and doesn't feel "very" stiff....but the pop and crispness is definitely there especially compared to the 63 flex. I like your idea of going with a 27.5" frame. I tried a 95" headsize, 12.3 oz., 27.5" long Vantage with a dense string pattern last year and the racquet served bombs and had some sick kick on the serves. Also volleyed really well, even with the extra length. If at all possible I would give the Vantage a try as I do not think that the flex will turn you off. Good luck!

tennisinoc
03-17-2008, 09:08 PM

Popped the first set of strings and restrung at a higher tension. What a difference tension makes! Power is better because I can swing faster and harder now without the ball sailing long like before. I am actually hitting better than my usual main stick. It is growing on me fast! Only downfall: Strings are moving too much because of the open string pattern = Fraying and less durability on the crosses. Might have to go with a synth cross next.

How come no one wants to post their reviews? I know a bunch of people were waiting for theirs to arrive. Share your experiences.

BLiND
03-20-2008, 05:01 AM
Had mine for over 2 years now, still love them and bought 3 more! They are pretty durable though I do have some paint chips from dropping them, but you'd get that with any racquet.

Can't recommend them enough, if your not getting on with them they are very string sensitive so try different string & tensions. I've had a string which played really badly and the one I use now is lovely.

tedescm
03-20-2008, 11:50 AM
Does anyone have a Vantage discount code they would share?

Seacoast Stringer
03-21-2008, 05:19 PM
Had mine for over 2 years now, still love them and bought 3 more! They are pretty durable though I do have some paint chips from dropping them, but you'd get that with any racquet.

Can't recommend them enough, if your not getting on with them they are very string sensitive so try different string & tensions. I've had a string which played really badly and the one I use now is lovely.

Yeah, while the string setup is pretty important for any stick; it is fun to toy with some different strings/tensions with a Vantage once you have found your ideal spec. I must have tried over a dozen different setups with hybrids, full poly, full gut jobs and after all of that I find the best comfort and performance in a full multi setup. I might mess around with some gut mains on one of my frames just for fun. I've got a couple of Vantage frames but will look forward to adding more over time. Quality frames.

tennisinoc
03-23-2008, 06:19 AM
What is everyone's favorite string set up on their vantage and why?

tenis
03-23-2008, 08:27 PM
Main-nat. gut 17 at 60, cross SPPP 17 at 62. Love this set up.

tennisinoc
04-01-2008, 06:43 AM
Main-nat. gut 17 at 60, cross SPPP 17 at 62. Love this set up.

What brand of Natural Gut?

Any one else use natural gut in their Vantage? Specify and Feeback please.

I was thinking trying Babolat Tonic +

sandflea
04-01-2008, 07:02 AM
I'm using Bab tonic/SPPP 18g strung at 57lbs/54lbs. in one frame. Bab tonic/Pro Redcode 18g in the second and Klip Legend 18g/Big Ace micro 18g in the third.

The only set I have extensively played is the tonic/SPPP and I get good power, excellent control and touch out of this setup. I don't care for poly's that much because it aggravates my elbow on mishits. But with this set up I don't have any problems.

roddick89
04-01-2008, 10:20 AM
I have a Vantage, its not custom, its one of their prebuilt models, VT221. I love it!!
Very comfortable, has 16x19 string pattern, very stable, so much control and one thing i love about it is that i still gives some 'free power' which i like to have.

DrewRafter8
04-02-2008, 01:53 PM
Babolat PHT mains at 54 and Tonic 15 crosses at 52. Like it the best out of any strings I've played.

tennisinoc
04-06-2008, 11:05 PM
I love the control of my Vantage stick, but I am having problems getting more "pop". Put away winners are limited right now. And as a baseline basher, this is no fun.

Any suggestions?

PS: I have added weight at the 3 & 9 positions and also tried it at 12 position. No improvement, just higher swing weight which I didn't like.

Ronny
04-06-2008, 11:30 PM
Does anyone have a Vantage discount code they would share?

I have a half price code.:D

DC Tennis Fan
04-22-2008, 04:49 AM
I currently have Babolat PHT 17 in my mains at 54 and Babolat Tonic 16 in the crosses at 58. I am hitting with tons of spin, pop and control. I love this setup.

I also like NXT Tour 17 at 55 in this racquet. NXT Tour is really crisp and is great for baseline bashing, hard flat serves and firm volleys.

I tried K Gut 16 in my racquet too and cut it out in a week. I didn't like the mushiness of the string and I lost some pace on my serves.