PDA

View Full Version : Aerogel my ***! Racquet gimmicks!

rosewall4ever
03-05-2008, 01:08 AM
Yeah i have space age stuff in my racquet. YEAH RIGHT!!! I do wish the racquet companies wouldn't treat us like idiots...

This is aerogel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PfelqRpOQk&NR=1

lawrence
03-05-2008, 01:36 AM
haha are you serious or joking

its just a name, like kfactor, pure storm, etc
you really think theyd consider puting something worth more than its weight in gold into a tennis racket?

kairosntx
03-05-2008, 01:46 AM
There probably is a very small amount used in each racquet. I was disappointed to see the m-fil technology was a .5 mm thin piece of tape at 9 and 3.

rosewall4ever
03-05-2008, 02:00 AM
haha are you serious or joking

its just a name, like kfactor, pure storm, etc
you really think theyd consider puting something worth more than its weight in gold into a tennis racket?

being sarcastic...

Next on the list (thesaurus anyone?)
From Aero-gel....pure-storm ...to..lava-fibres...crystal-meth...god-fingers...uranium-ice

mdjenders
03-05-2008, 02:07 AM
lol. those last four are priceless. I would probably get the god-fingers.

BreakPoint
03-05-2008, 12:12 PM
Who cares what Aerogel is or if it's "technology" or not? All I know is my Aerogel 100 feels great when I hit the ball and gives me plenty of power from only a 90 sq. in. head.

People should focus less on the "technology" and more on how the racquet actually plays. If my racquet plays great, I couldn't care less if they put molasses or cow dung in there. The bottom line is playability and feel.

trimick7
03-05-2008, 01:31 PM
I used a cow dung raquet for awhile it was great until the weather got hot not much fun then:)

SFrazeur
03-05-2008, 01:33 PM
I used a cow dung raquet for awhile it was great until the weather got hot not much fun then:)

Must have been a Weed racquet. . .

or a Babolat. . .

Joking I use a PDR+.

-SF

adlis
03-05-2008, 02:26 PM
More racket BS

Pro Kennex:

kinetic energy....the racket can now swing for you? great!

ProKennex Ionic Technology.... more like ironic technology because all the technology is in the marketing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wilson:

Rollers....( what a bunch of b.s. that was from the 70's )

Ncode ...(the N stands for nothing)

Nfoam.....a new form of contraceptive

Ngrommets......That is not a nice word to call black people!

K factor...... aka...the Kmart factor, the "you can feel it (K)oming" slogan WTF wilson, (K)arbon? more like marketing (K)rap

(K)ompact Center......center of what? The frame? ok....

(K)arophite Black...... graphite? black? explain to me this exotic property that is graphite please wilson because I have been using wood for the last century.

Triad......Named after Wilson suckers...they will "try" anything!

Isozorb....should be called .."I so cannot believe how stupid you suckers are"

Hyper Carbon (as opposed to the new "Black [K]arbon")

Hammer technology.....should be called screw technology because that's what wilson is doing to you

Slingshot yoke ......shoots eggs at you???

Isogrid....yah...I so am laughing that you would fall for this crap

W line of racquets....If a man uses it he will instantly grow a vagina

Nzone...very similar to the twilight zone, Its an alternate dimension whereon tennis players believe any crap that Wilson puts out.

Pushmaster
03-05-2008, 02:42 PM
Who cares what Aerogel is or if it's "technology" or not? All I know is my Aerogel 100 feels great when I hit the ball and gives me plenty of power from only a 90 sq. in. head.

People should focus less on the "technology" and more on how the racquet actually plays. If my racquet plays great, I couldn't care less if they put molasses or cow dung in there. The bottom line is playability and feel.

BP, where did you get the AG 100? I've been wanting to try one, but for some crazy reason Dunlop refuses to ever release any of their midsize racquets in the US. 90" is my favorite headsize, but there are very few good 90's currently available.

jmverdugo
03-05-2008, 02:47 PM

This is, by far, your best post, agree 100%.

BreakPoint
03-05-2008, 03:19 PM
BP, where did you get the AG 100? I've been wanting to try one, but for some crazy reason Dunlop refuses to ever release any of their midsize racquets in the US. 90" is my favorite headsize, but there are very few good 90's currently available.
Mine originally came over from Europe and Asia. Don't worry, Dunlop has finally wised up and decided to release the AG100 here in the U.S. this year. TW expects to get them in around late-April. :)

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=2119749&postcount=8

hyogen
03-05-2008, 03:40 PM
There probably is a very small amount used in each racquet. I was disappointed to see the m-fil technology was a .5 mm thin piece of tape at 9 and 3.

are you serious? wasn't it the braid? multi-filament braid of carbon and other softer/stiffer stuff?

Where and how did you find out it was just a piece of tape?

hyogen
03-05-2008, 03:57 PM
a lot of people actually seem to think that microgel technology actually "works"

sureshs
03-05-2008, 04:25 PM
Aerogel is most likely present in insignificant amounts. But along with it Dunlop has introduced a rubber sleeve in the throat, a dampening ring etc. The frame also is filled with foam. I am not sure if this is only in the 2008 models. Looks similar to the Wilson triad which was literally assembled in 2 pieces:

Vibrocore dramatically reduces frame vibration after ball impact. The racket is actually
cut in half and then re-constructed using two additional pieces. A sleeve portion is
made from a thermal-plastic resin system while the round core material is made of
silicon rubber. These combine to produce an unrivalled vibration damping effect. At
ball impact shock waves are absorbed in the shaft of the racket into the silicon rubber
core and are therefore not allowed to travel down the handle. This significantly
reduces the risk of tennis elbow and provides exceptional comfort. The sleeve portion
also provides a ‘hinge’ effect which helps to provide exceptional rebound power while
allowing for the ultimate in player comfort.

Pushmaster
03-05-2008, 07:24 PM
Mine originally came over from Europe and Asia. Don't worry, Dunlop has finally wised up and decided to release the AG100 here in the U.S. this year. TW expects to get them in around late-April. :)

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=2119749&postcount=8

That's good news, thanks for the link.

galain
03-05-2008, 10:27 PM
W line of racquets....If a man uses it he will instantly grow a vagina

Ya know - that would probably keep me entertained for an afternoon....

kairosntx
03-05-2008, 11:42 PM
hyogen...

"The Dunlop M-Fil 300 Tennis Racquet features a new M-FiL construction with the increased stiffness at 3 and 9 o'clock."

"M-Fil Technology: A technology that incorporates a unique patented 3D braiding process. Carbon, S-fibre and magnesium are combined into the hiting zone of the racquet head to enhance the touch and feel of the racquet where and when you need it most - at the moment of ball contact."

Both of these quotes from websites marketing these frames.

I found several pics online and tried to post one here but no luck. I can try to take a pic of mine to show you. If you look at an m-fil racquet at 3 and 9, you can see the small area that incorporated the m-fil technology touted by Dunlop. If you examine it closely, it looks like it is just a this piece of material placed on top of the frame. There is a good close up of the inside of the frame showing this here:

http://cgi.*********/Dunlop-M-Fil-200-plus-4-3-8-Grip-Tennis-Racquet_W0QQitemZ290211274166QQihZ019QQcategoryZ50 890QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

tnc1970
03-05-2008, 11:44 PM
are you serious? wasn't it the braid? multi-filament braid of carbon and other softer/stiffer stuff?

Where and how did you find out it was just a piece of tape?

Well... either you trust him or put in your raquect (inner 9 and 3) some chemical paint remover, sand down all the paint and you will see about 4 to 5 cm strip of a "metallic grid" stuck to the frame. This is M-fil

By the way, I did that on my Aerogels to paint job them and I saw it :)

Ryoma Kun
03-05-2008, 11:47 PM
http://cgi.*********/High-Tech-Aerogel-NASA-Type-Material-100-pieces_W0QQitemZ230229224112QQihZ013QQcategoryZ416 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

this is where they get their aerogel from, its much more cost efficient

Ryoma Kun
03-05-2008, 11:48 PM
http://cgi.*********/High-Tech-Aerogel-NASA-Type-Material-100-pieces_W0QQitemZ230229224112QQihZ013QQcategoryZ416 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

this is where they get their aerogel from, its much more cost efficient

item 230229224112 on a popular auction site

Rule26
03-06-2008, 07:52 AM
Along the lines of gimmicky - I think that sellers of merchandising should be at least held to a modicum of truth. There's a fine line between 'huffing and puffing" to create sales and fraud / being deceptive: And that's where good marketing & legal departments earn their corporate $$$ -

Granted that it is good business practice keep it as sales alive to bring in money. And naming a product after an item that speaks well of a goal is good branding.

The competative nature of business that seems to tolerate some manufacturers justification to submit claims that trace amounts of stuff in their racquets makes a difference when it doesn't is crossing the line - but damages are very hard to prove.

I would find it refreshing to see the few that are more truthful do better financially than those who are more full of it .. but if companies didn't hype their products they might eventually go out of business..

el sergento
03-06-2008, 12:13 PM
Worst/most annoying marketing ploy ever: the (K) factor shtick. Go to Wilson.com and be prepared to vomit on yourself.

What a bunch of wan(K)ers!

disclaimer: I own and enjoy playing with a k-sixone 95:oops:

The Dampener
03-06-2008, 03:08 PM
(speaking to no one in particular...)

You ***** about tennis racquet marketing, but I bet you buy Nike shoes because, well, they're Nikes! Maybe you drive an SUV but have never been off road. And if you look at that vitamin drink you chug, you might discover it's sugar, water, and not much else.

My point is this -- marketing is omnipresent. It's a part of our daily lives, whether you like it or not. And you know why? Because, for the most part, it works.

If you really want to do something about it, don't act indignant. Because, even though you may see right through the aerogel, you've been reeled in by some other marketing. No use denying it. We all have. Instead, take BP's advice. Ignore it. Focus on what matters. Life is short.

:)

Alexio92
03-06-2008, 03:15 PM
(speaking to no one in particular...)

You ***** about tennis racquet marketing, but I bet you buy Nike shoes because, well, they're Nikes! Maybe you drive an SUV but have never been off road. And if you look at that vitamin drink you chug, you might discover it's sugar, water, and not much else.

My point is this -- marketing is omnipresent. It's a part of our daily lives, whether you like it or not. And you know why? Because, for the most part, it works.

If you really want to do something about it, don't act indignant. Because, even though you may see right through the aerogel, you've been reeled in by some other marketing. No use denying it. We all have. Instead, take BP's advice. Ignore it. Focus on what matters. Life is short.

:)

Well atleast I can say I don't buy nikes because they are nikes, or use a babolat racquet because its a babolat and every other junior around here does :)

I hate marketing, as its so dang annoying with gimp people who believe it. Like Nike casual shoes will somehow make you cooler, as its a better "Make" than cheaper products when its the same dang thing and doesnt matter what you wear.

Regards
Proud user of Anything I like, which includes nomis football boots and a vantage tennis racquet.

iplaybetter
03-06-2008, 03:23 PM
this is why i like my tecnifibre: no bull
the only thing is hexilum stuff in the threat and thats real so...

The Dampener
03-06-2008, 03:30 PM
I hate marketing, as its so dang annoying with gimp people who believe it.

That's the way it is. Some people believe marketing. Some believe politicians. Some even believe celebrities. A little skepticism is always healthy.

By the way, if there were no marketing, your world would be a lot less interesting. You most certainly wouldn't have that Vantage racquet you love so much. You also wouldn't be able to discuss it on a commercial website like this.

That's right. This forum we're on right now...it's marketing.

Josherer
03-06-2008, 05:59 PM

Exactly! :)

It's not the technology behind the racket, it's how the racket feels and performs!

rabidcow
03-06-2008, 06:10 PM
Pro Kennex is legit- you can hear the things shifting so you know they actually exist, whether it helps you or not nobody knows

slice-o-maniac
03-06-2008, 08:42 PM
Pro Kennex is legit- you can hear the things shifting so you know they actually exist, whether it helps you or not nobody knows

i know nothing of prokennex care to explain a bit more please?

hyogen
03-11-2008, 02:29 PM
the ProKennex Kinetic technology.... where they have sand in the frame and with the impact with the ball, the sand moves to the side of the frame (same side as ball impact)...creating more solid feel, while allowing lighter racquet (with sand inside).

I think that's what it is.

hyogen
03-11-2008, 02:29 PM
now what is Fischer's MAGNETIC technology..... lol

theone
03-11-2008, 02:38 PM
now what is Fischer's MAGNETIC technology..... lol

Makes you into a chick magnet?