PDA

View Full Version : Are there any pros that string their own racquets

hewittfan3
03-05-2008, 06:00 AM
I always see that the pros get their racquets strung by someone else. Either someone they know or like the stringer at the tournaments. Are there any that actually string their own?

YULitle
03-05-2008, 06:04 AM
I would bet that you'd have to go down far in the rankings to find one. But, I would be interested to know this too.

weaver
03-05-2008, 07:54 AM
I'm sure the lower ranked players do. They don't exactly make a lot of money and I'm sure that if they have their own stringer and they are close to home, they'd rather save the money and string their own. My coach, who go to around 300th in the world, has told me horror stories of him traveling and trying to make it on the ATP tour...

goober
03-05-2008, 08:12 AM
I remember Sam Querry saying in an article he use to. Once he got to the big time though he stopped.:)

I would not be surprised if a fair number of players ranked 500-1400 strung their own. Many of these guys have negative or very low incomes.

stox
03-05-2008, 09:59 AM
I seem to recall that Tim Henman strings his own racquets.

scotus
03-05-2008, 10:27 AM
I can't picture any top 100 players stringing their own racquets (although I'm sure there are exceptions).

Stringing is time-consuming, and when you have to do 4-8 racquets for every match, it can get tiring, not to mention that you don't want to travel the world with a heavy equipment.

I know some players have their family members/entourage string their racquets. I recall that Michael Chang in his early days used to have a family member (possibly his brother Carl) bring a stringing machine everywhere to service him. I think James blake may get his racquets strung by his brother, who is reportedly a great stringer.

firefox
03-05-2008, 10:32 AM
Hingis's mom used to string all of Martina's racquets in her hotel room using portable drop weight machine.

Ljubicic for number1
03-05-2008, 01:06 PM
Peter Luczak strings his own.

Jonnyf
03-05-2008, 01:10 PM
I seem to recall that Tim Henman strings his own
racquets.

Nah, He was with Priority 1. There was a pic floating around of him stringing a racket but it was just for fun.

Josherer
03-05-2008, 01:42 PM
I always see that the pros get their racquets strung by someone else. Either someone they know or like the stringer at the tournaments. Are there any that actually string their own?

Good question!

As Yu little said they only players would probably be down the rankings

bsandy
03-05-2008, 04:49 PM
In Indy (RCA 2006) the tournament paid for one string job per player in the qualis and 2 if they made the main draw.

There's stringers that even follow the future series around, but players only use one racquet per match for the most part, there.

. . . Bud

BallBeemer
03-05-2008, 05:18 PM
Most pros sign a contract with a stringer for a season but the lower ranked players probably do string their own racquets to save money.

bsandy
03-05-2008, 05:25 PM
Most pros sign a contract with a stringer for a season but the lower ranked players probably do string their own racquets to save money.

This is not true . . .

Most pros use the tournament stringers.

. . . Bud

adamvann
03-05-2008, 05:29 PM
Michael Russell...Current rank is 131, with career high ranking of 60 last year. He uses a drop weight stringer.

slice bh compliment
03-05-2008, 05:35 PM
...I would not be surprised if a fair number of players ranked 500-1400 strung their own. Many of these guys have negative or very low incomes.

I was that guy. While traveling by train or plane, I would just ask nicely if I could hop on a stringing machine, showing them I knew what I was doing, maybe paying them a few dollars/pounds/Zlotys/Koruns. Here in the States, I had a tabletop stringing machine in my trunk. Kind of a hassle to carry a machine around, but it saved a few bucks for sure.

SunDog
03-05-2008, 06:14 PM
We strung Mike Russel's racquet in the stringing room at the Knoxville Challenger. He was using a new Prince - with a custom babolat handle on it. The handle was full of epoxy, and we had to drill a couple of grams out of one of them for him. He was sick that week and ended up withdrawing - I think after the first round.

There were plenty of players with rankings less than Mike in the draw (he was the top seed) - most in the two and three hundreds. They all used the tourney stringer.

I seem to remember the tourney stringer joking with one of the players about the player using the tournament stringer vs stringing his own - but I think that may have been during the qualies. Even the double handle racquet guys used the tourney stringer - and I think they were ranked in the thousands.

YULitle
03-05-2008, 06:18 PM
Even the double handle racquet guys used the tourney stringer

End of discussion with this comment. :D :D

/kidding

It just made me laugh.:)

adamvann
03-05-2008, 08:20 PM
Sun Dog I don't doubt what your saying. I was told this last year by the tournament stringer at the PLO, who knows Mike real well and said he was stringing his own sticks at that time and wasn't using their services. He's either stopped since then or does it himself occasionally.

SunDog
03-06-2008, 10:54 AM
He was sick - and it was Thanksgiving Week and I think he had just gotten married. Now that I think harder about it - I only remember doing one of his - and running it out to the practice court for him - but I was not there the whole time.

He might actually be the guy that the stringer was joking with about letting him do the frames that week. They were obviously buddies.

Hewitt Aussie
03-06-2008, 12:12 PM
your gonna have to change your avatar hewittfan. I don't mean to be rude, but i've been here longer and i am a BIGGER Hewitt fan. lol

hewittfan3
03-06-2008, 01:24 PM
your gonna have to change your avatar hewittfan. I don't mean to be rude, but i've been here longer and i am a BIGGER Hewitt fan. lol

I would beg to differ but I will change the avatar