PDA

View Full Version : What plays similar to the MW 200g?

Ryoma Kun
03-05-2008, 10:02 AM
I just picked up 2 muscle weave 200g's and absolutely love them and I have decided they will replace my ps 85's =(... yes a sad day, but also a great one.

I can't find many of these racquets around and I remember loving the aerogel 200 too. It's been a while since I've hit with it but if i recall specs are similar and it has the same narrowing bridge as the muscle weave.

Any other racquets play similar? or am i best off beginning my search for more mw 200's?

Thanks!

Pushmaster
03-05-2008, 10:36 AM
There really isn't anything out there quite like the MW, but the PT 280 is the closest thing I've tried. Once again though, they're just as hard to find these days. The PT 280 was softer and more muted, which I really didn't care for. Also, it didn't seem as maneuverable to me. Of the current sticks, I've heard that the Redondo midplus is a fairly close match, but havn't tried it myself. I lucked into 3 MW's in mint condition recently from the FS/FT forum, so I'm set for awhile.

Ryoma Kun
03-05-2008, 11:09 AM
There really isn't anything out there quite like the MW, but the PT 280 is the closest thing I've tried. Once again though, they're just as hard to find these days. The PT 280 was softer and more muted, which I really didn't care for. Also, it didn't seem as maneuverable to me. Of the current sticks, I've heard that the Redondo midplus is a fairly close match, but havn't tried it myself. I lucked into 3 MW's in mint condition recently from the FS/FT forum, so I'm set for awhile.

indeed, they're great sticks! I have some pt280's as well but 3 of 4 are cracked =/

thanks for the info, i've heard a lot about the redondo but haven't given in yet!

jayserinos99
03-05-2008, 12:27 PM
They pop up every so often and at a fairly good price too. Supposedly the AG200 was the closest match in Dunlop's current offerings. I think one frame that is worthy of a look is the Tecnifibre TFight335 18x20.

Pushmaster
03-05-2008, 12:35 PM
indeed, they're great sticks! I have some pt280's as well but 3 of 4 are cracked =/

thanks for the info, i've heard a lot about the redondo but haven't given in yet!

Yep, they're great sticks. Like you, I switched back to the MW from the PS 85. I just couldn't serve consistently with the 85, I can serve bombs all day with the MW. Tried the AG 200 and hated it. The AG was way stiffer than the MW and didn't have any feel. It's definitely worth the hassle to find used MW's, because there isn't anything out there that's better.

Ryoma Kun
03-05-2008, 12:42 PM
They pop up every so often and at a fairly good price too. Supposedly the AG200 was the closest match in Dunlop's current offerings. I think one frame that is worthy of a look is the Tecnifibre TFight335 18x20.

ya i was looking at the 335, paint scheme is nice too :) Im trying to find a demo around me but i may just bite the bullet and order a demo from tw.

Ya, the AG frame itself looks like the same mold with the bridge that gets thinner and the string pattern. Maybe I'll demo it and do a side by side comparison. If i don't like it, let the hunting begin.

As for the prostaffs, I just couldn't battle at the baseline with it, i could put away sitters but trying to compete in open tournys was too hard.

Carlito
03-05-2008, 01:40 PM

I just realized that you got those from me. I hope they are working out. But back to the original topic. Whats wrong with the new aerogel 200g's? They felt pretty similar to the *** to me. Also the pretige MP is pretty sillimar also. Both are pretty soft with dense string patterns.

counterpuncher
03-05-2008, 02:04 PM
Although it was quite a few years ago that I hit with a MW 200g, I would think a Vantage racquet (63 ra) might be worth a shot - especially a 95 with the 18x20. I have a 100 16x19 63ra and the feel is very reminiscent of it.

Pushmaster
03-05-2008, 02:06 PM
I just realized that you got those from me. I hope they are working out. But back to the original topic. Whats wrong with the new aerogel 200g's? They felt pretty similar to the *** to me. Also the pretige MP is pretty sillimar also. Both are pretty soft with dense string patterns.

Hey Carlito, those MW's are working out fine. Thanks bro. I've been stringing them with NRG2 18g @50/52. The combination of thin gauge strings and low tension has given me the power, feel, and spin I was hoping to get out of these bad boys.
Like I said before I didn't like the AG 200 at all, didn't have the flex and sweet feel of the MW.
I tried the LM Prestige mid+ and it just felt wrong. Sluggish and clunky is the best way I could describe it. Head really blundered with the LM series, hope they have corrected this with the Microgels.

jayserinos99
03-05-2008, 02:38 PM
You know, I completely forgot...why not try the MG Prestige MP? IMO it hits like a dampened iPrestige MP so why not try for a demo of that? And if you don't like the grip shape, you can get the pallets swapped.

Samperer
03-05-2008, 03:07 PM
Check out item 200195189628 on the auction site if you have a few pennies to spend!

basil J
03-05-2008, 05:04 PM
I used the Redondo for over a year. it is softer , more headlight and more forgiving than the 200GMW, but it lacks the pop on serves and groundies that the dunlop has. I just scored a brand new 200GMW last week. A guy had it in the back of his warehouse in a sports shop, so I took it off his hands. I have 2 beautiful dunlops now strung at 65# with Vs gut and they play beautifully. Try the Redondo MP. It is a nice frame, but it's not a 200GMW. Good luck.

Ryoma Kun
03-05-2008, 05:44 PM
looks like there is nothing new to update them with!!! I don't like any of the prestiges since the i.prestige and the pt280. I have old school taste that I just can't find in newer racquets.

Seacoast Stringer
03-05-2008, 06:12 PM
Although it was quite a few years ago that I hit with a MW 200g, I would think a Vantage racquet (63 ra) might be worth a shot - especially a 95 with the 18x20. I have a 100 16x19 63ra and the feel is very reminiscent of it.

The MW200g was my main stick years ago and I agree with counterpuncher that a Vantage with a similar spec would be worth a try. I hit with the 95", 63 flex Vantage last fall and it was the first frame since those days that a racquet felt similar to the MW for me. Heck, I use a 100", 70 flex Vantage currently and I still get the old school feel and nice service power/placement ability that I loved with the Dunlop. Those MW's were nice frames.

vkartikv
03-05-2008, 08:12 PM
Redondo mid/midplus come closest to matching its feel.

slice-o-maniac
03-05-2008, 09:06 PM
would poly work on MW?

i'm thinking of stringing it up with kirschbaum pro line I

basil J
03-06-2008, 04:40 AM
I have tried poly on the 200G and it makes it feel like a board. Soft multi or gut is the way to go.

vkartikv
03-06-2008, 09:08 AM
I have tried poly on the 200G and it makes it feel like a board. Soft multi or gut is the way to go.

Very true. NXT around 57-58 lbs is the best I've used.

vkartikv
03-06-2008, 09:09 AM
would poly work on MW?

i'm thinking of stringing it up with kirschbaum pro line I

The only poly I like is the pacific x force 18. It works well on the crosses on the 200g series. It's softer than most polys and very comfortable.

03-07-2008, 06:20 AM
TF335's are stiffer, swing just a bit heavier and have more pop than MW200 95's.