PDA

View Full Version : NoBadMojo, why do you like X1 over RDX?

Coria
12-29-2004, 08:19 AM
You are a very astute judge of racket performance. I'm with Triple B., in my love for the RDX (MP for me). But, I never hit with the X1. How do you compare it to the RDX MP. What do you find better about it? Thanks. This will be my last comment/question about this subject. :)

NoBadMojo
12-29-2004, 08:41 AM
aye coria. if i was making a change, i would go with the x1 over the rdxMP because it better suits my strengths and game (serving and all court play and volleying) and is still good from the backcourt. in your case, you say you are mostly a baseliner and the rdxMP is awesome from the baseline...just go with that one and call it a day. you've tried a long list of racquets and no need to try even more..there's lots of really good frames to choose from...it's not about the racquet, it's about the racquet operator....

ferrari_827
12-29-2004, 09:17 AM
I agree, when the rackets are as good as an X1, RDX500, or LM Prestige, it's the racket operator who determines how well the racket plays, since you can pretty much do anything with these rackets. It's a matter of which "feels" the best, and then tweaking power/control with strings.

Coria
12-29-2004, 09:25 AM
thanks guys. I'll always be 5.0-5.5 power baseliner (although that's slipping a bit due to my advancing age :) ) I can hit with lots of topspin. I play #1 singles for a very good 4.5 team. I serve and volley at times, but it will never be a great strength for me.

I'm sure I'd like the X1, but the RDX MP is the way to go. The LM Prestige MP is a great racket. But, two things there. One, I've used Head radicals in the past and had some elbow issues. Secondly, I know the 310-320 SW feels best for me. That's why I felt the 300G was too light and I didn't like lead taping it--didn't feel good. The Diablo mid is a great racket but felt a bit heavy. It's time for me to call it a day and keep the RDX MP for the next number of years--until my age calls me to a "tweener"--hopefully not for another 10 plus years. I'm 40 now.

BreakPoint
12-29-2004, 08:07 PM
I'll always be 5.0-5.5 power baseliner (although that's slipping a bit due to my advancing age :) ) I can hit with lots of topspin. I play #1 singles for a very good 4.5 team. I serve and volley at times, but it will never be a great strength for me.
Wait a minute, I'm a little confused. How can you be a 5.0-5.5 and play on a 4.5 team? I thought you can only play "up" but never play "down". So, if they let you play on a 4.5 team, don't you have to be rated 4.5 or below, and not above? :?

BTW, I also liked the X-1 more than the RDX 500 MP. I thought the X-1 was more solid feeling and better for an all-court game like mine because it volleyed and also served so well. I also liked the muted, vibration-free feel of the X-1. If I had to go with the RDX 500, I'd definitely go with the Mid over the MP. :D

Coria
12-29-2004, 09:05 PM
Where I live, there are virtually no 5.0 teams around. I was rated 4.5 four years ago by just showing up at some club and hitting a few balls. All around, I'm a 5.0 What I meant is that my baseline game is closer to a 5.5 when I'm playing well. The rest of my game is a 4.5-5.0.

I've won about 90% of my matches and have been close to being bumped up. But I've lost to younger stud college players the last few years in the playoffs and that has allowed me to stay. Also, I think they look at my age (40) as a factor in not bumping me out.

BreakPoint
12-29-2004, 09:45 PM
Well, that explains it. You're actually a 4.5 player. If you were higher than a 4.5, the USTA will not allow you to play on a 4.5 team. They would bump you up to your appropriate level. I'm not so sure age is a factor. I know many guys over 40 that got bumped up. I also know guys that got bumped high enough that they now don't have a team to play on.

BTW, club ratings usually don't mean anything. Only USTA ratings matter. I've also been rated by club pros much higher than my USTA rating in the past. I've also played club tournaments at higher levels. But for leagues matches, it's down to my USTA level. :(

Coria
12-29-2004, 09:53 PM
I'm telling you I'm a 5.0 player. The guys I've lost to are either 5.0 (last year I lost 10-8 in the third set tiebreaker) or 5.5 college players.

I was ranked number one in my age group in the 35's in my section. I've beaten 5.0 guys in USTA tournaments. The USTA rating system is a joke--you must know that.

I've been ranked in the top 15 in Middles States Men's Open four times in my career. You can choose what you want to believe. I know the results. Every year my captain has told me I'll probably get booted out, but I lose a match at Districts to 5.0-5.5 college player who gets immediately booted out of the league.

BreakPoint
12-29-2004, 11:07 PM
OK, I believe you're really a 5.0 player. It's just that, as far as the USTA is concerned, you're on a 4.5 team and they're not supposed to let 5.0 players play on 4.5 teams. If you keep winning all your matches, they should bump you up. Sounds like you'll need to lose at least a couple of matches every season to stay on a 4.5 team.

I guess it's a bit different here in NorCal. It's so competitve here and there are so many good players here that I've heard that a 4.0 player here is more like a 4.5 or even a 5.0 in many other parts of the country, and a 4.5 player here could be a 5.0 or even a 5.5 elsewhere (except SoCal, of course).

Richard Pur
12-30-2004, 05:57 AM
Getting back to the ratings briefly.... This is exactly why I got out of USTA leagues. I used to be rated (visual rating by a pro) at 4.5 a few years ago only to find out when I got back into the game last year that the talent level at the "self-rated" 4.0 matches had risen dramatically. I had been invited to play in the 4.0 league and my friends thought I'd be a ringer. I still have the shots but less consistentcy. I initially felt guilty doing it, until I played my first match. That's when I realized the absurdity of the self-rating system. Some of my losses came against younger players who had some type of college tennis experience. It's all about making it to sectionals and nationals. Everyone is definitely playing at least 0.5 points less than they should be rated. Maybe I'm just mellowing in my advancing age (42). Maybe there should be a "married with children" category where the players are just happy to get out and play some good tennis and not have to worry about sandbaggers. But then again, maybe I'm just as bad as everyone else in terms of wanting to win. See you in 3.5's.

Coria
12-30-2004, 06:48 AM
Good points Richard Pur. I've seen a number 1 college player who has beaten guys from the Satellite tour find his way onto a 4.5 team. Here in the Philly area, there are so many discrepencies. As for me, I'm kind of glad (well, not really) I've lost at playoffs in that I've gotten to stay on the team. As I've mentioned, there are so few 5.0 teams and many of the top singles playes (singles is where I thrive--I'm a good, not very good doubles player) are 5.5. players who are better and younger than me.