PDA

View Full Version : Raquet Mod - Wilson Hammer 6.2 Stretch

Guybrush
03-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Hi All,

I have 2 Wilson Hammer 6.2 racquet's one is the standard version and the other is the stretch.

I have been hitting with the stretch for years but recently bought another Hammer 6.2 second hand bot this is a normal length.

After hitting with the normal length hammer I have found that I totally prefer playing with it. The stretch fells even more head heavy in comparison and I've noticed I get more jarring and vibration too.

My question is if I take the butt cap off the stretch and cut off that extra inch that is in the handle and put the butt cap back on, will the racquet feel identicle to the non stretch one?

Has anyone ever done this?

I would like just buy another non stretch hammer but they are hard to find now.

What do you guys think?

PS. will I really have to spend $100 on a 9 volt staple gun like the sticky: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/Customizing/customize.html suggests? where is the best place to get new staples?

Thanks

psp2
03-05-2008, 09:23 PM
Hi All,

I have 2 Wilson Hammer 6.2 racquet's one is the standard version and the other is the stretch.

I have been hitting with the stretch for years but recently bought another Hammer 6.2 second hand bot this is a normal length.

After hitting with the normal length hammer I have found that I totally prefer playing with it. The stretch fells even more head heavy in comparison and I've noticed I get more jarring and vibration too.

My question is if I take the butt cap off the stretch and cut off that extra inch that is in the handle and put the butt cap back on, will the racquet feel identicle to the non stretch one?

Has anyone ever done this?

I would like just buy another non stretch hammer but they are hard to find now.

What do you guys think?

PS. will I really have to spend $100 on a 9 volt staple gun like the sticky: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/Customizing/customize.html suggests? where is the best place to get new staples?

Thanks

IIRC, the Hammer 6.2 standard did NOT have foam handle. It also has a large lead tape somewhere in the handle for factory weighting/balancing. I think it may be covered under black vinyl tape.

I would guess that the stretch version would have the same characteristics as above.

Here's what I would do:

1. carefully remove the staples (usually 4) from the buttcap. don't discard them;
2. simply pull off the buttcap. cut the handle to desired length with a hacksaw or a Dremel tool (or equivalent);
3. re-fit the buttcap onto the handle.
4. use a scratch awl to punch tiny holes in the handle pallet. just to through the existing staple holes in your buttcap. (if you have a Dremel tool with a tiny drill, you can use that as well)
5. hammer the original staples back into the buttcap penetrating the new holes in the handle.

Balancing act....

I would try to balance the newly cut 6.2 to your standard 6.2. You can do this by removing the grip from the 6.2 standard and using a dowel, round pencil, mom's rolling pin, etc. to balance it. You don't really need to know the actual balance of the racquet, just find where it balances in the throat.

Oh, make sure both your racquets are either unstrung or strung identically since different strings will weigh differently.

Now, just balance your newly cut 6.2 to match your standard 6.2. Obviously, you'll need some lead tape for this step. It should only take few grams of lead tape to do this.

Good luck.... and have fun.

Guybrush
03-05-2008, 09:44 PM
Thanks heaps for the thorough answer to my question!

I have one question though: What is a "scratch awl"?

Thanks

psp2
03-05-2008, 09:53 PM
Thanks heaps for the thorough answer to my question!

I have one question though: What is a "scratch awl"?

Thanks

It's just an awl. You can use just about anything that's small enough to make a tiny hole in the graphite handle. You could use a tiny nail. Just hammer it through the handle, carefully.

dagman365
07-05-2012, 11:29 PM
I know this is an old topic, but I figured I might have some good input, as I have quote a bit of experience with both of these racquets. I actually prefer the stretch, myself. The standard just doesnt have nearly enough handle length for both of my hands on my backhand. Anyway, I wouldn't cut the stretch if I were you. It is VERY easy to cut too much, and then you have yourself a nice junior racquet. I made that mistake with my 6.4 stretch, and now it's ruined. I really wish I wouldn't have. The stretch also has one less cross string than the standard. You'll notice that from the PWS, the standard has 8 strings on each end. The stretch has 8 on the bottom and only 7 on top, so it will never feel the same. As for the butt cap, DO NOT waste your money on a staple gun! I've also made this mistake. It's very difficult to actually get the staple to go through the handle. I actually discovered a miracle adhesive. So simple, yet MOST affective. Scotch maximum strength super glue! It's SO easy and that buttcap won't move, and you don't have to feel the friggin' staples through the grip. Anyway, I'm sure you've found your solution long ago, but at least future readers can read this and learn from our mistakes. Happy hitting!