PDA

View Full Version : Demo'd the MG Rad Pro and the MG Prestige MP - WOW!!!

Matt21
03-05-2008, 08:47 PM
After battling arm pain with my Dunlop AG200, I decided to return to Head (sorta where it all started for me - my first "real" stick was the Ti.Rad OS). At any rate, I love the laser accuracy of the AG200, but gosh, you miss that sweet spot by just a little bit to the North and your arm will pay for it over the course of the match. I still think the HM200 was probably the best of all the 200-series Dunlops I've used, but anyway, this isn't about Dunlop.

WOW!! The MG Radical Pro is a beast of a stick! Excellent pop and plenty of topspin. You can easily dictate points with the sheer power and topspin delivered by this frame. This is quite possibly the most dominant 16x19 (all around) that I've ever used (and I thought no racquet maker could ever top the Wilsons in that pattern). The MG Radical pro just seems to do everything well... well maybe with the exception of chip/block returns if you're a 1HBH'er. Serves were heavy with high bounces on the kick. Forehand topspin drives (and slice) were amazing. One-handed backhand was heavy. Heck, I even played around with a two-hander tonight (which is not in my repertoire). Well, after hitting with it for a set, I could start to feel some of the affects of the stiffness (by no means a stiff frame; just stiffer than the 18x19 MG Rad) and the high tension of the Gamma TNT2 strings in the demo (pretty harsh string unless you're playing with it in summer heat).

So I put it down and picked up the 18x20 MG Prestige mp. Even more amazing!!! First off, this was probably one of the best 18x20's I've ever used, with regard to topspin. I thought that the NBlade had good top for an 18x20; this was slightly better. My kick serve actually caused more trouble for my opponent than did the 16x19, generously open MG Rad Pro. The racquet had a nice, soft, flexy feel and I hit with the utmost confidence on both wings. Everyone who plays me knows I tend to slice or chip my backhand when in trouble; with the MG Prestige MP, I actually had the confidence to drive my backhand service returns and other difficult shots. I was amazed at the response of this racquet (my how your shots go where you tell them :) ).

Well, it won't be long now. As soon as I (auction) my heavyweights (Yonex RDS002Tours; Wilson PSTour 90; Mfil 200) and some of my other flirtations (Maxply McEnroe; MFil 300; PS 6.0 95), I plan to purchase an MG Prestige MP. Heck, I might even get the MG Rad Pro as an occasional "side" (wink). For now, I'll just drop the tension in my AG200 and use it until my others sell, at which time I'll use the proceeds for the new Head.

Thanks for reading.

(nytennisjunkie@gmail.com)

Anton
03-05-2008, 08:50 PM
You should try the Prestige Pro as well.

LanEvo
03-05-2008, 09:08 PM
i might be interested in that mfil 300 and 200 u got there, my email is ryanc282002@yahoo.com

amx13
03-06-2008, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the review Matt21! Im also starting to play with the MG Radical Pro and I feel the same way about it, but since I had it strung with Tecnifibre X1-Biphase at 57 lbs, I didnt find it stiff at all, even after long games.

But you make me wonder about the Prestige. Ive always thought that the Prestige line (either the mid, midplus or pro) would be too demanding for me, was it hard for you to make the switch from one racquet to the other?

weaver
03-06-2008, 10:13 AM
I agree with Anton... try the Prestige Pro

hyogen
03-06-2008, 10:27 AM
dude, how are you getting tennis elbow with the AG200...

The MG radical pro is a much stiffer racquet................!

Anton
03-06-2008, 12:26 PM

I thought they were about the same in terms of stiffness.

hyogen
03-06-2008, 12:42 PM
61 ra AG200 with very dense string pattern vs. 63 ra (with open string pattern) on the MG radical tour...

My elbow can definitely feel the difference -_-

VikingSamurai
03-06-2008, 12:49 PM
I also got TE with the AG200.. Only racquet ever to give me trouble.. They are just crap in my opinion..

TheJRK
03-06-2008, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the write-up... I was actually looking at both of those rackets (well, actually the Prestige Pro, not the MP). I've demo'd the MG Radical Pro (and I really liked it) but I haven't hit with the Prestige yet.

You are right, the MG Radical Pro is sorta stiff which surprised me because I currently play with the old Ti Radical with ALU strung at 62lbs. I think if I went with the Radical Pro I would have to go with a much lower tension or change strings entirely unless I want my elbow to shatter.

I'm wondering if the Prestige Pro feels as stiff as the Radical Pro does??? Has anyone hit with both?

hyogen
03-06-2008, 12:52 PM
yes, I have hit with both. I experienced tennis elbow with both unfortunately.

Anton
03-06-2008, 01:02 PM
61 ra AG200 with very dense string pattern vs. 63 ra (with open string pattern) on the MG radical tour...

My elbow can definitely feel the difference -_-

open string pattern feels softer though (at same tension)

Anton
03-06-2008, 01:04 PM
I'm wondering if the Prestige Pro feels as stiff as the Radical Pro does??? Has anyone hit with both?

I hit with both - Prestige pro feels less stiff to me.

BTW some lead on the loop really makes the frame more comfrtable as well.

sargeinaz
03-06-2008, 01:06 PM

No, the Prestige Pro feels more soft and comfortable than the Radical Pro.
________
LovelyWendie (http://www.lovelywendie99.com/)

hyogen
03-06-2008, 01:07 PM
open string pattern feels softer though (at same tension)

oh is that so? i was just about to agree with you. ok I don't know what it is. I just don't remember getting TE with the AG200...wierd. I remember getting it with the m-fil 200.... lol

Anton
03-06-2008, 01:11 PM
oh is that so? i was just about to agree with you. ok I don't know what it is. I just don't remember getting TE with the AG200...wierd. I remember getting it with the m-fil 200.... lol

You mean the lighter less stable 16x19 mfil? ;)

hyogen
03-06-2008, 01:16 PM
ooh...was the mfil 200 not a 18x20? lol. it's good to have fellow racquet addict/wh*res on the forum for support

mattyc
03-06-2008, 01:42 PM
its amazing how subjective choosing a tennis racket is.

i hit with the microgel radical and radical tour, i cannot think of words to describe how bad i thought these racquets were. In my opinion they were dreadful. At best they did everything just about ok if all your bats have snapped and u need to choose that or a 1975 bat that has been lying in a puddle for 10 yrs.

itsstephenyo
03-06-2008, 01:43 PM
I, too, loved the MG Radical Pro. I've demoed it a few times at PGA Tour Superstore and each time I feel like it's the racquet I need to buy. Unfortunately, I'm a poor college student. Hopefully I'll be able to upgrade later.

I went to try out the MG Prestige, but the courts were being used for some clinic or something. I'm looking forward to demoing it sometime next week.

bertrevert
03-06-2008, 02:01 PM
I also got TE with the AG200.. Only racquet ever to give me trouble.. They are just crap in my opinion..

concur - my elder brother with his two AG200s, but also he removed grip and just played with 2 overgrips, anyway snap/bingo he has TE...

Anton
03-06-2008, 02:23 PM
ooh...was the mfil 200 not a 18x20? lol. it's good to have fellow racquet addict/wh*res on the forum for support

well there were two versions - one was 97" 11.5oz 16x19 and then there was also a 95" 12oz 18x20

Matt21
03-06-2008, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the review Matt21! Im also starting to play with the MG Radical Pro and I feel the same way about it, but since I had it strung with Tecnifibre X1-Biphase at 57 lbs, I didnt find it stiff at all, even after long games.

But you make me wonder about the Prestige. Ive always thought that the Prestige line (either the mid, midplus or pro) would be too demanding for me, was it hard for you to make the switch from one racquet to the other?

No, this was not really a tough switch. I've always liked the feel of the Prestige line of racquets. In my mind, Prestiges have been the only frames that compared to the Wilson Pro Staffs (for me) in the player frame category. I just didn't like Heads early on because of the rectangular grip shape. I'll tell you though, recently, I've found other handles/grip shapes that to me felt odd (and made Head shape okay). I felt the Yonex grip shape and the Fischer grip shape were very odd. I also found that with Head, having a 1HBH, I just have to go a size smaller with my grip to get a comfortable handle on my BH.

Now, back to your question; because the 200 series Dunlops are 18x20s, it wasn't a tough switch at all. Actually, because the 98 sq in Prestige has a slightly larger hitting area and larger sweetspot, the Prestige is a little more forgiving. I'd tried the FP Prestige and liked the feel, but couldn't get enough grip to accomodate my swing style for top and slice. The LM Prestige just felt weird to me so I could never get a good feel on it. I actually owned an i.Prestige MP but it was so early in my playing days, I couldn't appreciate it (a little heftier and stiffer than the MG Prestige).

The funny thing is that I'm now wondering if Wilson was trying to give a Prestige equivalent with the NBlade, because there was a remotely similar feel between the 98 NBlade and this current MP Prestige. The advantage with the head is the frame is more stable on off-center hits and on half-volleys and volleys. The shots are also more predictable on the Prestige (as in, go where you expect them to).

I'd give an ever-so-slight edge to the AG200 in the accuracy dept., but the spin and bite I get on the ball with the Prestige, along with the comfort has got me ready to switch.

Matt21
03-06-2008, 02:27 PM

It's not tennis elbow; it's "tennis bicep" (smile). I've never had any tennis elbow in the two months I've had the AG. My problem there is I've found with Dunlop 200's, you've got to string them in the high 40s for them to play comfortably. Once you get your sweet spot (tension-wise) on the Dunlops, you can really dissect your opponent. If I couldn't get any spin/kick with the Prestige without adjusting my form, I would not have looked twice at it. Again though, we all know all 18x20s are not the same and in that spirit, the 18x20 MG Prestige has a more open pattern the that on the AG200.

Anton
03-06-2008, 02:30 PM
Now, back to your question; because the 200 series Dunlops are 18x20s, it wasn't a tough switch at all. Actually, because the 98 sq in Prestige has a slightly larger hitting area and larger sweetspot, the Prestige is a little more forgiving.

actually the heads are exactly the same size and even pretty much the same shape as I laid one over the other.

HEAD, like a stubborn goat, keeps rating their head size by the outer perimeter of the loop and not the inside like all other companies - so that basically means you have to subtract 2-3 sq.in from their rating.

TW should really indicate that about HEAD rackets on the for sale pages with an asterisk or something

hyogen
03-06-2008, 03:02 PM
It's not tennis elbow; it's "tennis bicep" (smile). I've never had any tennis elbow in the two months I've had the AG. My problem there is I've found with Dunlop 200's, you've got to string them in the high 40s for them to play comfortably. Once you get your sweet spot (tension-wise) on the Dunlops, you can really dissect your opponent. If I couldn't get any spin/kick with the Prestige without adjusting my form, I would not have looked twice at it. Again though, we all know all 18x20s are not the same and in that spirit, the 18x20 MG Prestige has a more open pattern the that on the AG200.

yeah, i hate that pulsating/throbbing sensation in my bicep.

bertrevert
03-06-2008, 03:05 PM
i hit with the microgel radical and radical tour, i cannot think of words to describe how bad i thought these racquets were.

Harsh! Well that's a little bit harsh I reckon... heh heh.

The MG Rad MP is for us lightweight racquet wielders who don't play tennis for a living, and/or have lightweight arms/constitutions... heh heh, and sure you don't get plow-through, but they are, for such bantam-weight zingers, extraordinarily good at dampening shock and delivering what they do against heavy hitters.

And there are some other frames in this territory: kBlade 98 and Bab PS.

You like a heavier frame, but the MG Rad MP and Team (not "Tour") are good for us often-as-we-can hitters.

Then again I've also seen a local coach who plays all day every day really whip the cream with the MG Rad Team...

TheJRK
03-07-2008, 08:12 AM
No, this was not really a tough switch. I've always liked the feel of the Prestige line of racquets. In my mind, Prestiges have been the only frames that compared to the Wilson Pro Staffs (for me) in the player frame category. I just didn't like Heads early on because of the rectangular grip shape.

I used to play with the Wilson Pro Staff 6.1 Classic in high school, when I started college I switched to Head and the "rectangular" grip threw me off a bit. Since I didn't have much money at the time (like most college students) I couldn't afford to have custom grips made so I made my own. I just bought rackets in a smaller 4 1/2 and then added a replacement grip on top of that, which made it 4 5/8. This also "rounded-out" the shape of the grip and it felt much better. Yeah... I know that's ghetto but it worked.

I'll have to try the Prestige and see if it compares to the Pro Staff like you say.