PDA

View Full Version : ARM problem. please read and help =(

Tennissssssss
03-05-2008, 09:34 PM
Hi I play for highschool team and im 6 feet tall and weigh 160 lbs.

currently, im using my o3 hybrid shark mid+ and ppl kept saying

my racket is a girl racket and felt light.

so, i decided to add some weights inside the butt cap and i did.

it feels a lot head light now, and i guess im hitting better serves,

but somehow, im getting pain in my arm, its not tennis elbow.

between my elbow and my shoulder. its not really bad so i can still play

tennis but it really does hurt and bothers me.

am i not strong enough to use my modded racket?

should i take off the lead?

vndesu
03-05-2008, 09:37 PM
mayb its your strings or the way you hit
if i were you id look into pro kennex rackets like the ki series
pain relievers.

LanEvo
03-05-2008, 09:41 PM
yea pk are the pain relivers i have the 5g and its great for tennis elbowers

Tennissssssss
03-05-2008, 10:03 PM
well as i said, i am not having tennis elbow right now.

its between my elbow and my shoulder.

i thought tennis elbow is pain between your wrist and your elbow?

louis netman
03-05-2008, 10:32 PM
If I recall correctly, the 03 Shark is a pretty firm/lightweight frame. Add poly strings and you've got a recipe for arm problems.

Given you have proper technique: 1) rest your arm until the pain subsides,
2) switch to a softer string, 2) decrease tension. Please repost if you continue to have arm difficulty...

jasonchu
03-05-2008, 11:13 PM

you are correct, tennis elbow or lateral epicondylitis is usually between the muscle of the forearm and the elbow. what you are experiencing however seems to still be a strain due to the imbalanced muscle development between the forearm and the tricep.
ie.... your triceps are likely underdeveloped and your forearm muscle is overdeveloped from the weight of the racquet causing a twinge between the elbow and the shoulder but closer to the elbow.

i would advise stopping play for a while (3 weeks at least), icing the affected area, and talk to your doctor about non steroidal anti inflammatories, and rehabilitation --- this will likely entail
development of your triceps as well as stretching exercises to lengthen the muscle

PLEASE SEE A DOCTOR .... and lay off tennis for a while. the weight of your racquet is NOT the problem, but you need to ease into the weight and balance out your arm.

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL AND THE ADVICE ABOVE IS GIVEN WITHOUT ANY PHYSICAL INSPECTION OR DIAGNOSIS. YOU ARE ADVISED TO SEEK THE ATTENTION AND TREATMENT OF A LICENSED AND QUALIFIED MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL IN YOUR LOCAL AREA!

themitchmann
03-06-2008, 05:35 AM
Where on your upper arm are you feeling pain? You may have some biceps tendinitis...when I'm having trouble with it, I feel it from the front of my shoulder and into mid bicep. When it's really bad, I'll feel it down my entire arm.

You should definitely get evaluated by a doctor or therapist, as there may be a fairly easy way of fixing this (rest, therapy exercises, massage, etc).

fuzz nation
03-06-2008, 06:25 AM
Hold the phone... did the pain set in only after you added the weight in the handle? Were you playing okay with your frame before you tuned it?

If "yes" to both, hit the reset button and start over. Get that stuff out of your racquet and use what works for you. If you've got a significant, chronic issue in your arm, get it evaluated soon before it gets bad. Even though you are young, you can sustain serious breakdowns and injuries in this sport. Do your best to correct that issue now.

Rabbit
03-06-2008, 07:38 AM
Hold the phone... did the pain set in only after you added the weight in the handle? Were you playing okay with your frame before you tuned it?

If "yes" to both, hit the reset button and start over. Get that stuff out of your racquet and use what works for you. If you've got a significant, chronic issue in your arm, get it evaluated soon before it gets bad. Even though you are young, you can sustain serious breakdowns and injuries in this sport. Do your best to correct that issue now.

^EXACTLY!

There are people who say the Pure Drive was designed for 3.5 women. I've never seen a 3.5 woman (or man) hit a 155 MPH serve ala Andy Roddick.

The measure of your game is not what kind of racket you swing, but how you swing your racket.

Don't let anyone bother you about playing with a certain kind of frame. On the side, do you beat most of these people? If you do then take that for what it's worth.

There was a guy around here many moons ago who played Div 1 tennis for one of the larger schools in state. When all the oversized stuff started, he kinda made a protest. His protest manifested itself in the form of his racket. Rather than buy a new Prince or whatever, he got an old Chris Evert Autograph, strung it with pink string, and proceeded to beat the crap out of everyone.

AmericanTemplar
03-06-2008, 08:33 AM
I would guess that the pain might be from not being used to the added weight, which may have thrown off your timing & also maybe muscling the ball too much. I've had the same problem before from serving & overheads because I don't do either as regularly as groundstrokes.

Make sure that when you're warming up your serve that you keep a loose arm and slowly work up to your full range of motion.

As for your racquet--if you're still developing your strokes it's good to have a fairly light, forgiving racquet. Technical flaws in your strokes will be harder on your body if you're swinging around a heavier club.

Tim
03-06-2008, 09:23 AM
I would remove the lead you added, see a doctor to be certain it isn't something serious, and rest the arm a few days. Try playing again when it feels better without the added lead. Certainly there could be many issues here but adding weight to your racquet and changing the balance point at once is pretty drastic. If you really think you need more weight in your racquet make sure you do so in very small increments while also maintaining the original balance point, unless you think you need to change that too. if you add, say, 2 grams of lead in the handle then balance it with 2 grams split 1 and 1 at the 3 and 9 position on the head, that will keep the balance the same while increasing the swingweight. Only increase the weight by very small amounts and see if it helps or not before adding more. Out of curiosity how much weight did you add to the handle?

Bud
03-06-2008, 09:57 PM

Nope. Look it up in something like Wikipedia. Hold your right arm (or left - just do the opposite) out in front of you, palm down... then locate you forearm muscle (near to where your arm bends) then go around toward the outside about 1 inch... that's where the pain will be... right on the bony process (where the tendon attaches).

Holding your arm out in front of you palm toward the ground... make a really tight fist... then open your fist and spread all your fingers out wide (opposite of a tight fist) does it hurt in the area described above? If so, it's probably tennis elbow.

Bud
03-06-2008, 10:00 PM
you are correct, tennis elbow or lateral epicondylitis is usually between the muscle of the forearm and the elbow. what you are experiencing however seems to still be a strain due to the imbalanced muscle development between the forearm and the tricep.
ie.... your triceps are likely underdeveloped and your forearm muscle is overdeveloped from the weight of the racquet causing a twinge between the elbow and the shoulder but closer to the elbow.

i would advise stopping play for a while (3 weeks at least), icing the affected area, and talk to your doctor about non steroidal anti inflammatories, and rehabilitation --- this will likely entail
development of your triceps as well as stretching exercises to lengthen the muscle

PLEASE SEE A DOCTOR .... and lay off tennis for a while. the weight of your racquet is NOT the problem, but you need to ease into the weight and balance out your arm.

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL AND THE ADVICE ABOVE IS GIVEN WITHOUT ANY PHYSICAL INSPECTION OR DIAGNOSIS. YOU ARE ADVISED TO SEEK THE ATTENTION AND TREATMENT OF A LICENSED AND QUALIFIED MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL IN YOUR LOCAL AREA!

^This is great advice. This is very close to the regimen I followed and 3 weeks later it felt much better. Focus on using your body to obtain power... as opposed to your arm.

Alafter
03-06-2008, 10:31 PM
FINALLY! A thread where the major bulk of the advice is a) what is the logical, possible cause and b) seek doctor advice to prevent further aggrevation.

FINALLY SOME SENSIBLE RESPONSE rather than immediately advising new magical racquets/strings/tension/add more weight type advice.

montx
03-06-2008, 10:53 PM
I would go for what louis netman said, its spot on. A medical checkup would be a good idea.

God Bless and Good Recovery

Bud
03-07-2008, 03:29 PM
FINALLY! A thread where the major bulk of the advice is a) what is the logical, possible cause and b) seek doctor advice to prevent further aggrevation.

FINALLY SOME SENSIBLE RESPONSE rather than immediately advising new magical racquets/strings/tension/add more weight type advice.

Yes. In addition to the treatments above... also, get a racquet that vibrates as little as possible and doesn't torque badly on off-center shots and nice soft string that absorbs vibration well.

samej07
03-07-2008, 04:19 PM
im a college freshman and i have had the same problem you are describing several times. it always happens when my timing is off and i start muscling the ball around. like several people have said before, its probably just because the weight is throwing your timing off.

i suggest getting the weight out of your racket and taking some time off.

i have also learned since being in college that it would probably really be to your benefit to do some weight lifting. im about 5'10", 170lbs. and im one of the smaller guys on my team. since your a couple of inches taller and about 10lbs lighter than me, it probably would benefit you to add some muscle, especially if your playing people who hit really heavy balls like i am.

hope this helps and get well soon!
Will

Tennissssssss
03-08-2008, 01:58 PM
just as a reference,

i dont know what my racquet's weight was before,

but right now, it measures around 350g with weight.

is that too heavy? i only added weight in my buttcap.

louis netman
03-08-2008, 02:10 PM
Yeah, build some strength you wussy (just kidding). You're young and in your prime (I'm envious)...you should be able to handle it. As children we swung 14 oz frames and didn't even think about it...

iplaybetter
03-08-2008, 02:10 PM
i think it might be time for an upgrade, or a session in the weight room

jasonchu
03-08-2008, 04:17 PM
just as a reference,

i dont know what my racquet's weight was before,

but right now, it measures around 350g with weight.

is that too heavy? i only added weight in my buttcap.

i dont have a single racquet that is not over 360 g strung (STOCK)
and i always feel there is NOT enough weight.

it's not your racquet and not your technique. go see a doctor
or physical therapist. build the triceps and balance out the arm development. you probably have popeye arms with exceptionally strong forearms and those are disporportionally pulling on the humeral tendon (NOT TENNIS ELBOW which is EPICONDYLITIS).... Stretch out the forearm muscle and develop the triceps.....