PDA

View Full Version : Relationship? Racquet & Surface...

altawolfe
12-29-2004, 09:50 AM
Do you think a racquet choice should ever be based, in any way, on the dominant surface upon which you play? That is, would you use the same racquet for a low, skiddy, superfast hard court as you would for those high bouncing, ego-boosting, slow SoCal hard courts? What about clay versus hard court: would you always want the same stick? Even Sampras said he could have used a different wand for the French........

HeavyBall
12-29-2004, 09:55 AM
The better the player is, the lesser the benefit to changing rackets based upon differing surfaces. The pros' margins are too slim to allow them to use multiple different rackets successfully, while a beginner, who is not particularily reliant upon a consitent setup, could vary rackets with some success.

Craig Sheppard
12-29-2004, 09:57 AM
I would say yes IF you changed your game to suit the surface. If you're going to try and play the same game on all surfaces, I don't see a reason to change the racquet. However, if you heavily adjust your style of play depending on the surface, then I would certainly consider changing racquets.

altawolfe
12-29-2004, 10:04 AM
The better the player is, the lesser the benefit to changing rackets based upon differing surfaces. The pros' margins are too slim to allow them to use multiple different rackets successfully, while a beginner, who is not particularily reliant upon a consitent setup, could vary rackets with some success.

my question is more aimed at this: do pros select frames that compliment their "best surface". Does a spanish clay courter prefer a baseline stick, etc. Does a Serve & Volleyer who is accostomed to hard courts select a frame based on this. I guess the answer is that style of play trumps surface -- and that makes sense.

NoBadMojo
12-29-2004, 10:09 AM
i was happily using c8pro's for maybe 5 years or so playing mostly outdoor hard court and indoor carpet. Then I moved and now play almost exclusively on the clay, and my c8's just weren't working for me well on the dirt. so i made a switch to the t10mp and have been happily using them for about 2 years. also went to a more powerful string setup.

Stormwolf
12-30-2004, 10:40 AM
I think the player will choose a racquet that suits his/her style. Usually the style is result of the surface that is mostly played on. You will see few serve-and-volleyers on clay...therefore mosly larger, more open string pattern racquets to generate heavy topspin with from the baseline. On grass/carpet, volleying is always an asset (and sometimes a necessity) therefore these surfaces will favour smaller head, more maneouverable volleying racquets. The hard courts are practically neutral so mostly anything goes.