PDA

View Full Version : Playabitity of different guages of same string

rscottdds
03-06-2008, 09:45 AM
What does increasing/decreasing thickness do to the playability of a string (specifically relating to poly's). I know a lot of people say play with the thinnest gauge possible, so does that mean that all the characteristics are better in a thinner guage other than durability?
-Robert

YULitle
03-06-2008, 09:47 AM
Well.... almost. Tension is held better by a thicker string. And, it's common to hear people associate thinner strings with more power. So, the opposite must be true of thicker strings.

steve s
03-06-2008, 10:59 AM
Varies from string to string. Not one rule for all strings.

rscottdds
03-06-2008, 12:03 PM
Varies from string to string. Not one rule for all strings.

So how about for the typical Poly? Durability aside does anyone prefer thicker gauges. And if so, why?
-Robert

cpmoran
03-06-2008, 12:43 PM
I have tried many gauges. I am currently in love with MSV focux hex 1.10mm.. It only lasts a couple of hours, but the spin and power is fantastic until it breaks. I hybrid it with Pro Supex spiral flex.

TennezSport
03-06-2008, 01:55 PM
Typically thicker gauge string will play stiffer or firmer(and as YULitle mentioned hold tension better) and gets slightly softer as you go thinner gauge. The variance will differ from string to string depending on how and what its made of. Players also say that the thinner the gauge, the more power and feel you get but durability will suffer.

Sampras used to play and swear by his 18g gut string because it had great feel and generated good spin. Today Rafa plays with Duralast 15Lg string and generates massive spin. It really is all about feel and what works for your game or technique.

TennezSport :cool:

AmericanTemplar
03-06-2008, 02:54 PM
I've been using the Pro Supex Big Ace Micro for a while now, which they consider a 19g. The reason that I like it is because it gives me a good dose of the control that poly is known for from the baseline, while still providing plenty of touch at the net.

I think that with polys, a thinner gauge actually gives less spin, since most of the violent spin that polys are capable of producing come from polys inelasticity, and thicker gauges are less elastic than thinner gauges.

Of course, you will see less durability as you go thinner, but a 19g poly will still outlive many 16g synthetic guts.